• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Air contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

great_daines

though it may be faster just to go straight in as an officer, I would like to have the experience of being enlisted first. I plan on enlisting in reserve, taking 2 years off for LDS mission, then doing college and PLC and TBS and all that other good stuff along the way. I'll definitely get a hold of an OSO and talk to him about what to do though. Thanks devil dogs :D. Oh, any LDS pilots here who have taken the same route that I plan to take?

phrogpilot73

though it may be faster just to go straight in as an officer, I would like to have the experience of being enlisted first. I plan on enlisting in reserve, taking 2 years off for LDS mission, then doing college and PLC and TBS and all that other good stuff along the way. I'll definitely get a hold of an OSO and talk to him about what to do though. Thanks devil dogs :D. Oh, any LDS pilots here who have taken the same route that I plan to take?
I've got a question for you - do you want to be a Marine? Or do you want to "experience" being enlisted in your road to being an Officer? The only reason I ask is that the Reserves are VERY active nowadays in the GWOT. My squadron was activated for 2 years, and we're on tap to be activated in the near future. If you want to be a Marine, and that matters more than anything else - than good luck and welcome aboard. You will find that your Officers will be more than willing to help you (provided you're not a shitbag). If you're doing it for the experience along the way, I'd be hesitant - if for no other reason than there are no guarantees and you could be screwing yourself down the road.

Don't get me wrong - I spent 2 1/2 years enlisted, KBay was prior enlisted, Crowbar was prior enlisted, but I'd be willing to bet none of us went into it looking towards being an officer. We just wanted to be Marines. None of us would swap our experience for anything, but it's going to be a longer more difficult road than you think. Especially when you want to do a LDS mission...

Oh, and if you are truly desperate to be a Marine Helicopter Pilot - don't let the jet fags dissuade you from that! ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Before signing anything, you need to run the "taking 2 years off for LDS mission" by your Reserve Recruiter/OSO as you have a monthly and annual active duty drill commitment not to mention possibility of being activated. Safer bet is to do your LDS mission first so there won't be a conflict.

great_daines

I've got a question for you - do you want to be a Marine? Or do you want to "experience" being enlisted in your road to being an Officer? The only reason I ask is that the Reserves are VERY active nowadays in the GWOT. My squadron was activated for 2 years, and we're on tap to be activated in the near future. If you want to be a Marine, and that matters more than anything else - than good luck and welcome aboard. You will find that your Officers will be more than willing to help you (provided you're not a shitbag). If you're doing it for the experience along the way, I'd be hesitant - if for no other reason than there are no guarantees and you could be screwing yourself down the road.

Don't get me wrong - I spent 2 1/2 years enlisted, KBay was prior enlisted, Crowbar was prior enlisted, but I'd be willing to bet none of us went into it looking towards being an officer. We just wanted to be Marines. None of us would swap our experience for anything, but it's going to be a longer more difficult road than you think. Especially when you want to do a LDS mission...

Oh, and if you are truly desperate to be a Marine Helicopter Pilot - don't let the jet fags dissuade you from that! ;)

Yes i do want to become a marine. it's the reason why i switched the pursuit of my dream from the army to the marine corps because I would have the accomplishment of being a marine as well as a pilot and officer later on. I really like your question because it's making me think a lot. To clarify more, if I never become a marine corps pilot, I will still join. I want this mighty bad you guys. hopefully i will be getting into an LAV company in Riverton, Utah. If i do get into flight school and get picked to do jets though, you won't hear me complaining :)

helolover

HeloLover
Question about Marine Option

I am a sophmore in high school and it is my desire to fly. I have considered Navy, Coast Guard, and Marines as possible paths. I have come to the conlusion that the Marine Corps is my desired choice. I realize that that one is a Marine first and a pilot second, which I perfectly okay with. I also realize that I should focus on becoming a Marine before i should even consider flying. Therefore, I was considering getting a degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics, possibly from University of Washington. UW has NROTC w/ Marine Option. I was wondering what the physical fitness requirements were to be a Marine option. I was also curious about Marine Air in general, as well some of the possible B-Billets such as a FAC tour. Any information on the various communities is appreciated (I would REALLY like helos, but i realize i should focus becoming a Marine first before even considering this)> I was also wondering If you are more likely to get an Air contract with PLC or NROTC. Lastly, what all does TBS consist of?

Thanks for taking the time to here a newbie babble along) :)

phrogpilot73

... if I never become a marine corps pilot, I will still join...
Then I'd say you're making some pretty good choices thusfar. Talk to an OSO before you sign anything.

I wanted to be a Marine, period. That's why I enlisted. Looking back it was a perfect fit for me, because it was 2 1/2 years of maturing that I needed to do. I've seen some guys that do it as a stepping stone, and end up hating their life as an enlisted man, and getting out and never looking back.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

One of my shipmates when I was enlisted used his Navy enlistment for his 2 years of LDS mission. You should ask to see if your church will allow your time in the Marines as completing your mission.

As Phrog said, most of us didn't come in to the service with the goal of being an Officer. It just evolved and we earned the opportunity to get a commission. It is not an easy road so you need to think hard and fast about this path.

If you want to be a Marine Officer, then get a degree and get the commission. Plain and simple.

Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)

helolover

HeloLover
Curious about NROTC and MArine Comunities

I am a sophmore in high school and it is my desire to fly. I have considered Navy, Coast Guard, and Marines as possible paths. I have come to the conlusion that the Marine Corps is my desired choice. I realize that that one is a Marine first and a pilot second, which I perfectly okay with. I also realize that I should focus on becoming a Marine before i should even consider flying. Therefore, I was considering getting a degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics, possibly from University of Washington. UW has NROTC w/ Marine Option. I was wondering what the physical fitness requirements were to be a Marine option. I was also curious about Marine Air in general, as well some of the possible B-Billets such as a FAC tour. Any information on the various communities is appreciated (I would REALLY like helos, but i realize i should focus becoming a Marine first before even considering this)> I was also wondering If you are more likely to get an Air contract with PLC or NROTC. Lastly, what all does TBS consist of? I have searched but could not find really inj depth information about Marine option and such

Thanks for taking the time to here a newbie babble along) :)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We already locked one of your threads. All of your questions have been answered in previous threads.

Search Function.

Repost this thread again and I will ban you.

phrogpilot73

At least he's got Marine helicopters as his Avatar now...

Albeit ones that appear to be from HX-21, and that background looks like Pax... <shudder> It's a weekend dammit!

great_daines

I'm afraid killing terrorists and riding around in a vehicle of destruction while i'm in the reserve does not substitute time spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. I do however, want to be an Enlisted Marine and serve at least one deployment while i'm going to college to become an officer. not for experience, but just because I want to. you know how we teenagers are :icon_wink

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm afraid killing terrorists and riding around in a vehicle of destruction while i'm in the reserve does not substitute time spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Who says that is what you'll be doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.