• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Air contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

deloachth

Tank god
Not gonna happen, lost my competitive spot this week 3 hrs before TBS grad due to age (30), maybe there is more to it than that.....I would certainly hope so, but as of now I was told age.....I will find out more on Wed.

Andy

Make sure you keep us posted on what you find out. I'll probably be in the same situation in a couple of years; about 30 when I get through TBS. I'm kinda countin' on an age waiver, but of course I'll go where the Corps sends me.

great_daines

Quest(s) for an Air Contract

hey guys I'm almost 19 and i desperately want to become a Marine Helicopter aviator. I know a little bit about the process to become a pilot, and I cant wait to start the long, challenging journey. hopefully I go to MEPS to start Marines Reserve next week. Please share with me your stories of how you were able to get your guaranteed flight contracts. as a newbie I find it hard to believe that with soooo many people in the Marine Corps wanting to become pilots, that it can be so guaranteed to become one. I originally wanted to fly army helos but i saw the journey being more rewarding in the Marine Corps. I appreciate your input. B)

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Go talk to a Marine OSO (Officer Selection Officer). He/she will answer any questions you have about the process of becoming a Marine Officer with a guaranteed flight contract. Make sure you are talking to a OSO, not an enlisted recruiter (unless that is a route you want to go first). Good luck.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Why has this become such a HUGE trend? Go talk to a damned Officer Selection Officer, killer! And that's coming from a prior enlisted guy with a flight contract.

Plain and simple, being enlisted doesn't answer most of the mail when you want to be a pilot. Granted, it does have perks, but it's the long way around

Flying Toaster

None
New member, let me introduce myself.....

My names Mike, I stumbled across the site recently on my quest for info on Marine aviation. I've been lurking for just a short while and have already found tons of useful advice. I'm 19 and a sophmore at DWC College (small aviation school) in NH, although Ironically enough I'm a marketing major. Anyway when I graduate I'm planning on joining the Marines and going into aviation. The route I'd like to go is 10 week PLC (w/ aviation contract) the summer between junior and senior year, then obviously TBS, flight, etc. after I graduate. I've already talked with my OSO, and I'm meeting with him at the end of next week to hopefully get this set up.

Here's some background on me; I'm about 5' 10", 160lbs, 20/20 vision. I just started working on my PFT routine, and right now I'm at 16 pullups, 90 situps and 22 minute mile (shooting for a perfect score, I know I can nail pull ups and situps, but the run will be a challenge). I have a GPA of 3.5-3.6, and SAT scores were 1360/1600. I have no flying experience although I've been racing cars/karts of all sorts since I was 10 years old, so I have a pretty good feel for equipment. I absolutely love driving, and can just get in the car and drive for 6 hours. I commute an hour to school and currently work at my fathers shop fixing and selling german cars, with a specialty in Porsche/BMW. I also love long range shooting, and am a complete gun nut (19 and I already own 4 guns). I've always been a crack shot with a rifle, although I can't seem to replicate the results with handguns. I played hockey for many years, as a goalie, so I like to think my reflexes are cat like :D.

Why Marines? I've always liked the way you aren't just a pilot and they are looking for a more complete person.... or maybe it's just the uniform and "the few, the proud..." marketing BS worked on me ;). I know alot of kids in AFROTC, and most seem to just be aviation nuts who want to fly. I'm realy not like that at all, I've always had a small interest in aviation but I'm not joining the service simply so I can fly, and they can pay for it. I'm joining because I've always felt a duty to serve, and I feel like my skill set would be best put to use in aviation.

Anyway do I sound like a good candidate? I've already searched and found the answers to most of my questions, but if anyone has any advice I'm all ears.

Thanks, Mike

Lobster

Sounds to me like you've got a good head on your shoulders and you're motivated to join the service for the right reasons, that is to become an officer first and aviator second. Oh and don't worry about the marketing major, I'm a marketing, management, and history major and I got selected for SNA a couple months ago, best of luck to you and Welcome to AW!

exo

Mike,

I actually learned to fly at Sterling Airport, which I imagine is right down the street from you, because everything is right down the street in a small town like Sterling. I live not too far from the area near Gardner.

I'm pro rec'd SNA Navy so I don't have much advice for your Marine career, however I will say if you want to fly in the military, it may require more than a "small interest in aviation" to go through the long training. However, the USMC would be a good place to go if you're not sure about aviation.

Flying Toaster

None
Mike,

I actually learned to fly at Sterling Airport, which I imagine is right down the street from you, because everything is right down the street in a small town like Sterling. I live not too far from the area near Gardner.

I'm pro rec'd SNA Navy so I don't have much advice for your Marine career, however I will say if you want to fly in the military, it may require more than a "small interest in aviation" to go through the long training. However, the USMC would be a good place to go if you're not sure about aviation.

Yup, Sterlings a pretty small town, the airports less than 5 minutes away.

You'll have to forgive me for being vague on the "small interest" comment. It's coming from someone who goes to a school where 60% of the majors are flights ops or aviation related, so I have a slightly different perspective than most on what having an "interest" in aviation means. Compared to your average person, I'm an "aviation nut", but I can't go as far as saying I live and breath it or have a tremendous amount of knowledge on the subject.

Flying Toaster

None
Nope, although people have mentioned that to me before so I googled it, lol. It came from my last name being "tosi" (pronounced "toe c"), coupled with the fact I've won alot of races, so one of my competitors put two and two together and decided flying toaster was a good nickname.

StorminNorman

Trying to hit the Dangerzone
Flying Toaster,
First of all, congratulations on accepting the initial challenge to become an Officer of Marines. You are weighing a career path that few consider and even fewer choose to take. Secondly, in answer to your question on whether or not you would make a good candidate, I can say in my initial phase of inquiry and up until my attendance and graduation from Officer Candidate's School, I shared a similar ambiguity and indecision, so I know where you are. It seems to me that your numbers and interests would gear you to a smooth intellectual transition into the Armed Services, and that selection of service may not be a problem for you.
However, the most important aspect that you must understand in pursuing a comission in the Marine Corps (One that even now that I am an Officer and on the verge of graduating from The Basic School, I am still challenged to humble myself to,) is that the valued tenants of being a Marine and Officer thereof are intangible and completely rooted in leadership, which ultimately means service, to enlisted Marines. This translates to a vastly different career than what the United States Navy or Air Force can offer.

In short, know this: your grades will help you get selected as an Air Contract as they did for me. The PT will come with routine and familiarization with what the Marine Corps expects from your body, again as it did for me. However, one day, and it may come at OCS or before, you will have to ask yourself very honestly whether or not you have the desire to serve and lead Marines. That's really what it is all about. I wish you the best of luck, and contact me with any questions. Semper Fidelis.

R/
2ndLt. Norman

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
First - Norman - good gouge but cool it with the formalities and big words. Don't get me wrong, well written, (I know you're kickin a lot of proper naval letter format up there in the Quantico highlands) but treat AW as a ready room, pithy comments and some jabs here and there tied in with your words of wisdom will do. Don't worry about the intro and 'respectfully' and signature, short and to the point.

Toaster you sound like a great candidate. Keep your head up and your shoulders down like a good linebacker and you'll blow right though to your wings. Sounds like you're dedicated and want something more so keep on track to go Marines. It's gonna suck a lot of the time but it's well worth it.

Kill

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Toaster,
Nice first post and welcome to AW. Good to see something not easily answered by the search function. I can tell you in my very short experience, I've enjoyed the aviation track immensely, and I was very similar to you in my level of enthusiasm. I thought it would be cool, but wasn't expecting anything really great or life changing. I was mistaken. This job is cool, and if you think you might enjoy it, I'd recommend going for it.

again, welcome to the board.
-scoolbubba

Status
Not open for further replies.