• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Air contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

great_daines

I'm hopefully going to enlist as an LAV Stryker Crewman in a few months. If they choose something else for me im good with that too though.

phrogpilot73

I'm hopefully going to enlist as an LAV Stryker Crewman in a few months. If they choose something else for me im good with that too though.
Actually the LAV is not the same as the Stryker. They're very, very similar (built by the same company, same number of wheels, etc...) but they are different vehicles. Different engines, different armament, Stryker isn't amphibious, LAV-25 is, etc...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Have they said you can enlist in the reserves join their unit and then do your 2 year LDS mission? You haven't answered how you're going to drill during your mission or are you staying local?

Crowbar

None
While I think your heart is in the right place, it sounds like you need to do some serious thinking before you commit to anything. Prioritize what you want to do in life. Nobody will fault you for picking a mission over military service. What they will fault you for is joining (any service) then bellyaching about how it's interfering with what you really want to do with your life. The reserves ain't what they used to be. Reserve units deploy, and deployments don't necessarily coincide with college semesters. You may end up missing an entire year or more of college based on what kind of deployment(s) you do and then your elaborate plan becomes a house of cards on a windy day. Furthermore, and this is a little morbid, but necessary, what happens if during your deployment you get injured to the point that you can't go on your LDS mission or get commissioned? It's not something fun to think about but it happens. Will the experience have been worth it? That's something only you can answer.

If you want to join the reserves, knock yourself out. Nobody here is saying, "Don't join!" but instead are saying, "Know what you're getting into and what the limitations will be before you join."

Serious question, how long have you been actively talking to a recruiter? At least humor the entire population of this site and talk to an officer recruiter before you commit to anything. I know in the end you're going to do what you're going to do, so good luck with your choices.

Iron Eagle

NFO Final Select
For what its worth my only regret in enlisting in the Corps is not going Air Crew. I strongly recommend telling your recruiter these words: "I want to go Air Crew". Then at MEPS only sign a contract that says Air Crew.

great_daines

wish i could go aircrew but there are no reserve units near me that have anything to do with that. any advice on that?

Anyway i do have a lot of time to investigate it and talk to officers and stuff, i have to wait a few more months (i find out exactly how many today) to get in due to a minor medical issue that doesnt need to be discussed on here. I have time to think about it. I will definitely make it a priority to talk to an OSO. I had been talking to an Army recruiter for a few months while I was in high school. then i decided to go marines. ive been talking to the marine recruiter for about 3 weeks now. Only thing that kept me out of the marine corps was i didnt know that you could join the reserves and go on a mission, and that you could get a guaranteed flight contract.

the recruiter said that supposedly I can take a full 2 years off without any problem, i know all the other branches actively do. is it different in the marine corps?

You guys do have a point though about me not knowing what im getting into. What could i do to really know though? All I know is that i have never heard a former or current marine say they dont like the marine corps. Ive met quite a few. I can't say the same about the Army...

How often do reserve units deploy? my recruiter said 4, then 5 years but i strongly think that might not be true.

phrogpilot73

the recruiter said that supposedly I can take a full 2 years off without any problem, i know all the other branches actively do. is it different in the marine corps?
I know that the Coast Guard has a sabbatical program, and that the Navy is looking into it (it was discussed here). I'm absolutely certain that the Marine Corps does not have a sabbatical program. Taking 2 years off will not be a problem, provided you take the two years off AFTER your mandatory drilling time in the SMCR is complete. Even then, if it hasn't been 8 years since you've raised your right hand - there's a possibility that you'll get activated when in the IRR. I know 5 young Marines (1 officer, 4 enlisted) that got out at the same time as me. All 5 of them received letters saying they were being activated for a year within 6 months of getting out. Being able to do your LDS mission after enlisting is NOT a guarantee. I'm not saying that the recruiter is lying, but he may be glossing overs some things in order to make the sell, if you know what I mean...

For what it's worth - OSO's usually have more applicants than slots, so they will give you the straight skinny.

How often do reserve units deploy? my recruiter said 4, then 5 years but i strongly think that might not be true.
In the past, not a whole lot. Now - plan on deploying at least once every 3-4years. Like we've said in the past, the Reserves are much more active in the GWOT than most people think.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I'd ask for a written guarantee. :eek: I'll bet you that the recruiter won't write that in your contract.

Once you join, your ass belongs to Uncle Sam and you serve at the pleasure of the government. Verbal words mean nothing.

If you want to take the 2 years off, then don't join. Plain and simple.

-ea6bflyr ;)

greencard

My quest for an Air Contract (in general and as a Canadian citizen)

Well that might be a bit over the top, but I laughed to say the least.

I am having a similar problem, that being that it is citizenship related.

I a Canadian living in Texas and I have about one year and three months till I can apply for citizenship in the United States. As far as I know there is no way to have citizen expedited for officer candidates. If you know of any cases like that, please inform me.

My real concern here is that I will have to renounce my Canadian citizenship. Is this the case? Must a Marine Corps Officer renounce dual citizenship regardless of nationality? I am willing to give it up if need be, but as many of you know the Canadian passport is very coveted, and I would be lying if I were to say that when the day comes, I will be very sad, but willing.

greencard

My quest for an Air Contract (in general and as a Canadian citizen)

HAL Pilot said:
I would have soooooo much fun with this letter........

Dear Camel driving shithead,

I have decided to suck on the knob of the Great Satan and live in the busom of decadency. Rather than 72 virgins when I die, I'm going to try and screw them all while I'm in my twenties. 100 before turning 30 and looking at marriage is my minimum goal......

...I hope to return to Iran someday at the head of the liberating military that buries your carcass six feet deep in pig grease......

Well that might be a bit over the top, but I laughed to say the least.

I am having a similar problem, that being that it is citizenship related.

I a Canadian living in Texas and I have about one year and three months till I can apply for citizenship in the United States. As far as I know there is no way to have citizen expedited for officer candidates. If you know of any cases like that, please inform me.

My real concern here is that I will have to renounce my Canadian citizenship. Is this the case? Must a Marine Corps Officer renounce dual citizenship regardless of nationality? I am willing to give it up if need be, but as many of you know the Canadian passport is very coveted, and I would be lying if I were to say that when the day comes, I will be very sad, but willing.

greencard

Any issues with Air contracts being disregarded?

I am planning on taking the steps to become a Marine Corps Officer, and I am planning on working to receive an Air contract to guarantee my MOS.

Whilst talking to my father about my decision, (my parents are very anti-join), he said that I should be cautious and warned me that the military does not always keep their promises.

Should there be any concern about the contract not standing? Is there any reason for concern? Or have you heard anything like this happening?

Sorry if I am double posting this question. I have tried my best to look around for an answer.

greencard

Any issues with Air contracts being disregarded?

I am planning on taking the steps to become a Marine Corps Officer, and I am planning on working to receive an Air contract to guarantee my MOS.

Whilst talking to my father about my decision, (my parents are very anti-join), he said that I should be cautious and warned me that the military does not always keep their promises.

Should there be any concern about the contract not standing? Is there any reason for concern? Or have you heard anything like this happening?

Sorry if I am double posting this question. I have tried my best to look around for an answer.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you have an air contract, then you have a contract. As in, binding. It will contain any reasons for termination in it. No secrets or suprises. Do some looking around on the site and you will see many stories that should help you understand the process and what an air contract means better.

Shpion1

Contributor
Fester is right, the US does not recognize dual citizenship. When I got naturalized, it basically disestablished for lack of a better word my Romanian citizenship. While Romania, like a number of other countries doesn't count this, the US does. I can if so inclined apply for a Romanian Passport. If it makes the recruiter feel any better, you can draft up a letter for him renouncing Iranian citizenship.

Status
Not open for further replies.