• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Air contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you have an air contract, then you have a contract. As in, binding. It will contain any reasons for termination in it. No secrets or suprises. Do some looking around on the site and you will see many stories that should help you understand the process and what an air contract means better.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have a gurantee provided you meet the prerequisites (this is all spelled out in the contract). Assuming you are medically qualified you will be sent to flight school after that it is up to you to perform. The Marine Corps will uphold its part of the bargain.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I am planning on taking the steps to become a Marine Corps Officer, and I am planning on working to receive an Air contract to guarantee my MOS.

Whilst talking to my father about my decision, (my parents are very anti-join), he said that I should be cautious and warned me that the military does not always keep their promises.

Should there be any concern about the contract not standing? Is there any reason for concern? Or have you heard anything like this happening?

Sorry if I am double posting this question. I have tried my best to look around for an answer.
Most complaints about the military "not keeping their promises" is from the individual failing to read the fine print of their paperwork and/or failing to research things beyond taking the recruiter's word for it. Make sure you read and understand everything before you put your name on the dotted line.

greencard

Awesome guys thank you so much! This decision is very hard for me, as I believe that I will have to renounce my Canadian citizenship. To this end, I am always glad to hear any evidence that this is the correct decision for me!

Once again, thank you for the help.

Lobster

Oh yeah its a great decision there eh? No doubt abooooot it.

sorry i couldn't help myself, i lived up there for 3 years playing juniors...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry if I am double posting this question. I have tried my best to look around for an answer.

By double posting, you end up getting two simultaneous threads responding to your duplicate query. Therefore, they are now merged.

greencard

How to qualify for an Air Contract

So, if I understand this correctly, I can get an Air Contract, go to OCS, become commissioned, and then disqualify?

Once you complete OCS you are committed correct?

Sounds Shady!

greencard

How to qualify for an Air Contract

Hey guys, I am waiting to get my citizenship, and as soon as that happens I am going to start the long road towards becoming a Marine Officer.

My question for yall is whether or not you have any advice for how to become prepared for the board that decides who gets air contracts. I understand that they don't just throw them around, so they must have certain things they want to see in your file. I am curious to know if there are items other than a good background, eagerness, and a decent astb score.

Also, and I know this has been boiled over, but in the light of an air contract question, I talked to my OSO today and when he asked me about drug use, I admitted to using marijuana about ten times, more than four years ago. With honesty, and hopefully a waiver, how much will this affect the selection process?

I know that it is hard for anyone to give really accurate answers unless they are on one of the boards, but any insight is greatly appreciated, and will be heeded.

greencard

Qualifying for an Air Contract

Hey guys, I am waiting to get my citizenship, and as soon as that happens I am going to start the long road towards becoming a Marine Officer.

My question for yall is whether or not you have any advice for how to become prepared for the board that decides who gets air contracts. I understand that they don't just throw them around, so they must have certain things they want to see in your file. I am curious to know if there are items other than a good background, eagerness, and a decent astb score.

Also, and I know this has been boiled over, but in the light of an air contract question, I talked to my OSO today and when he asked me about drug use, I admitted to using marijuana about ten times, more than four years ago. With honesty, and hopefully a waiver, how much will this affect the selection process?

I know that it is hard for anyone to give really accurate answers unless they are on one of the boards, but any insight is greatly appreciated, and will be heeded.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Physical fitness is the foundation of the Marine Corps so being able to achieve a kick-ass PFT score goes a long way as does looking physically fit and carrying yourself well. Having leadership roles in school or civic organizations and participating in team sports help round out your story as potential successful officer of Marines...Note: football counts more than Tennis doubles or golf (although USAF puts a lot of emphasis on golf).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My real concern here is that I will have to renounce my Canadian citizenship. Is this the case? Must a Marine Corps Officer renounce dual citizenship regardless of nationality?
For all intents and purposes, yes.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This decision is very hard for me, as I believe that I will have to renounce my Canadian citizenship.
You can't serve two masters, especially as a military officer for a nation that one day might be at odds with the second. Probably far fetched with Canada but it is a possibility.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well that might be a bit over the top, but I laughed to say the least.

I am having a similar problem, that being that it is citizenship related.

I a Canadian living in Texas and I have about one year and three months till I can apply for citizenship in the United States. As far as I know there is no way to have citizen expedited for officer candidates. If you know of any cases like that, please inform me.

My real concern here is that I will have to renounce my Canadian citizenship. Is this the case? Must a Marine Corps Officer renounce dual citizenship regardless of nationality? I am willing to give it up if need be, but as many of you know the Canadian passport is very coveted, and I would be lying if I were to say that when the day comes, I will be very sad, but willing.

What's so special about having a Canadian passport, anyway?

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, if I understand this correctly, I can get an Air Contract, go to OCS, become commissioned, and then disqualify?

Once you complete OCS you are committed correct?

Sounds Shady!

You can be medically disqualified at any time, even after you have your wings. Nothing shady about it. YOU are responsible for meeting the various physical, academic and other requirements as well as performing to an established standard. Sometimes you can get disqualified for things that are totally beyond your control - that's life. You might flunk out of flight school - it happens. Are you prepared to serve out the remainder of your commitment as an infantry officer? Again, this isn't anything to be viewed as "shady." Nothing is a guanantee. Prepare the best you can, show up and do your best and let things take their course. If you're not comfortable with that, I'm sure Tim Horton's is hiring.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.