• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

leave for OCS in 2 weeks and still no orders

JamesL37

Does the Navy give you plane ticket with the orders? Or do I have to buy my own? If the ticket is given, then is it a overnight flight on Saturday night to arrive on Sunday morning?

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Does the Navy give you plane ticket with the orders? Or do I have to buy my own? If the ticket is given, then is it a overnight flight on Saturday night to arrive on Sunday morning?

Pretty sure you have to provide transportation for yourself, but they will reimburse you.

reFLYluwasch

pilot
Pretty sure you have to provide transportation for yourself, but they will reimburse you.
If this is the case, will I still be reimbursed for booking a 1 week early arrival to Newport(if it's even allowed)? I live in Hawaii and grew up on Saipan so I'm gonna be new to cold weather and Eastern Standard Time. I was hoping to arrive early and start acclimating with some mock PFAs. Any advice would help. Thank you.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Yeah I couldn't say for sure, since I drove, but I thought I read elsewhere on here that that was the case. So if anyone else knows for sure...

JamesL37

You have 2 options of getting to Rhode Island, either driving or taking a place. We will provide you a ticket if you want to fly over there. If you drive, make sure you save all travel expenses so you can be reimbursed.

Are the flights usually over night? I was told that check-in is at 0700 on Sunday. And does someone pick us up from the airport?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Are the flights usually over night? I was told that check-in is at 0700 on Sunday. And does someone pick us up from the airport?

I can say from the west coast that flights happen the day before and applicants typically get into Rhode Island around the late afternoon/early evening timeframe. For the night before, its your responsibility to get a hotel but I recommend applicants stay at the Navy Gateway or Newport Challet on base because it's safe and within 1/2 mile from the OCS quarterdeck.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
If this is the case, will I still be reimbursed for booking a 1 week early arrival to Newport(if it's even allowed)? I live in Hawaii and grew up on Saipan so I'm gonna be new to cold weather and Eastern Standard Time. I was hoping to arrive early and start acclimating with some mock PFAs. Any advice would help. Thank you.
If you're flying in, they only give you 1 travel day. If you are driving they give you 3 or 4 days to travel. They reimburse you base off a flat per diem rate for lodging (can't remember the rate). Drivers are reimburse at I think $.24/mile rate. So you booking a stay in Newport for a week would be on your own dime.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
If you're flying in, they only give you 1 travel day. If you are driving they give you 3 or 4 days to travel. They reimburse you base off a flat per diem rate for lodging (can't remember the rate). Drivers are reimburse at I think $.24/mile rate. So you booking a stay in Newport for a week would be on your own dime.
Per diem's something like $100-ish per day to cover food and lodging. And their usual estimate is that you're driving about 350 miles a day, even though you can easily do twice that. And the mileage money is pretty liberal too, unless your POV is a first-gen Hummer. So if you're coming from CA or somewhere way out west, you can make quite a bit of money on that road trip.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Per diem's something like $100-ish per day to cover food and lodging. And their usual estimate is that you're driving about 350 miles a day, even though you can easily do twice that. And the mileage money is pretty liberal too, unless your POV is a first-gen Hummer. So if you're coming from CA or somewhere way out west, you can make quite a bit of money on that road trip.
so H-1 hummer is out I guess...gotta figure out how to pack all that crap in the golf now. I'll be driving up from Florida so will deff. be a long haul as well

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
so H-1 hummer is out I guess...gotta figure out how to pack all that crap in the golf now. I'll be driving up from Florida so will deff. be a long haul as well
Yeah that's a tough drive. Back in college, I made the Florida-New York drive almost a dozen times (family's in Albany, college in Daytona), and I always wanted to try it in one shot. Mapquest said 20 hours...if you do the speed limit. But yeah, shouldn't take more than two days, just spend the night in Rocky Mount or something, assuming you're taking I-95.