• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

leave for OCS in 2 weeks and still no orders

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
Otherwise, you can make quite a bit of money driving there and back again. They'll give you at least four travel days each way, plus the mileage.

Does the Navy use the federal mileage rate of $.51/mile? Also, is this, along with the per diem paid in advance or on the first paycheck?

The OCS Mode of Travel page I just signed last week listed the mileage rate at $.16/mile, with NFOs receiving $.185/mile.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
That is really low. Also, why would FO's get more? Is this for travel to OCS, or from OCS to P'cola?

National OPO

All - once issued a Final Select letter with assigned OCS convene date, your NRD officer recruiter or processor will generate the orders locally getting you from where you are now to Newport, RI - travel arrangments included. This is supposed to be accomplished no less than 10 days prior to shipping out to OCS. All of this can be found within Section 4 of Chapter 8 of the Officer Recruiting Manual, CNRC Instruction 1131.2E - available for download from Navy Recruiting Command's Directive webpage: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/1131.2E.htm. Once you get to OCS and get confirmed as being physically qualified for your officer designator (Pilot, NFO, SWO, etc) and the OCS staff confirms that your security clearance is good, you will start to engage with your respective community detailer to determine where you will go after OCS. The orders that will get you from OCS to your next assignment will then be generated and issued to you while at OCS.

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot
Per my processor:

Should you choose to drive to OCS, you would receive 24 cents per mile from your Home of Record or Current Address and a total of $123 (to cover food and lodging each day). You must save your gas and lodging receipts. You are not required to show receipts for food. We are not authorized to provide advanced per diem, as you will not have an established pay account when you commence travel to OCS. Your pay account will be started when you check in with the Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) Rhode Island. At that time, you will establish pay, get an ID Card and enroll in Health Care Benefits. Within 48 hours after your enrollment into DEERS at PSD, your spouse will be allowed to obtain her ID at the nearest base. I can assist her with that.

Run a MapQuest from your location. Generally, 1 day of travel time is allowed for each 350 miles of official distance of ordered travel. If the excess is 51 miles or more after dividing the total number of miles by 351, one additional day of travel time is allowed. When the total official distance is 400 miles or less, 1 day's travel time is allowed.

Your orders will inform you to not report earlier than noon on the Saturday prior to your class date and no later than 1100 a.m. on that Sunday. Please note, all OCS candidates must reserve their own room off base for that Saturday evening. You must pay out of pocket for this also and will be reimbursed. We cannot get you a room on the base. ODS Members are authorized to a room on base for Saturday only. Should you choose to fly, I will schedule the flight for free, although you must pay for a taxi or shuttle to the base. You may be able to use the base duty driver, although that is not always guaranteed and you would be reimbursed for this expense. The airport has a USO office and you may wish to share the expense of a taxi or shuttle with others arriving for OCS and ODS. I am sure that you have visited the OCS website and this will explain in detail and also provides two places to stay that are in walking distance of the hotel, should you choose to fly to RI. You may wish to plan a meal with other class mates that are lodging right off of the base for Saturday evening.

Joey H

Per my processor:

Should you choose to drive to OCS, you would receive 24 cents per mile from your Home of Record or Current Address and a total of $123 (to cover food and lodging each day). You must save your gas and lodging receipts. You are not required to show receipts for food. We are not authorized to provide advanced per diem, as you will not have an established pay account when you commence travel to OCS. Your pay account will be started when you check in with the Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) Rhode Island. At that time, you will establish pay, get an ID Card and enroll in Health Care Benefits. Within 48 hours after your enrollment into DEERS at PSD, your spouse will be allowed to obtain her ID at the nearest base. I can assist her with that.

Run a MapQuest from your location. Generally, 1 day of travel time is allowed for each 350 miles of official distance of ordered travel. If the excess is 51 miles or more after dividing the total number of miles by 351, one additional day of travel time is allowed. When the total official distance is 400 miles or less, 1 day's travel time is allowed.

Your orders will inform you to not report earlier than noon on the Saturday prior to your class date and no later than 1100 a.m. on that Sunday. Please note, all OCS candidates must reserve their own room off base for that Saturday evening. You must pay out of pocket for this also and will be reimbursed. We cannot get you a room on the base. ODS Members are authorized to a room on base for Saturday only. Should you choose to fly, I will schedule the flight for free, although you must pay for a taxi or shuttle to the base. You may be able to use the base duty driver, although that is not always guaranteed and you would be reimbursed for this expense. The airport has a USO office and you may wish to share the expense of a taxi or shuttle with others arriving for OCS and ODS. I am sure that you have visited the OCS website and this will explain in detail and also provides two places to stay that are in walking distance of the hotel, should you choose to fly to RI. You may wish to plan a meal with other class mates that are lodging right off of the base for Saturday evening.
I believe you are still at OCS or have just graduated. I was hoping you could tell me a little about if you decided to drive or fly. How was this experience? How was OCS? What should I prepare myself for? If you could answer these questions for my I would appreciate it a lot! Congratulations on your completion of OCS and good luck on the rest of your career!!!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I believe you are still at OCS or have just graduated. I was hoping you could tell me a little about if you decided to drive or fly. How was this experience? How was OCS? What should I prepare myself for? If you could answer these questions for my I would appreciate it a lot! Congratulations on your completion of OCS and good luck on the rest of your career!!!

There's a threads dedicated to the OCS experience as well as the option of making the drive to Newport. Saddle back and do some searching.

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot

To answer one of your questions quickly, I decided to fly to OCS and am happy with that decision. I have a nice vehicle and did not want to leave it exposed to the elements during the winter months here.

CodyLand

Enter custom title here
pilot

To answer one of your questions quickly, I decided to fly to OCS and am happy with that decision. I have a nice vehicle and did not want to leave it exposed to the elements during the winter months here.