• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July IDC Board Purgatory

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mitrokhin,

That's crazy...with a profile like that and still pro N, it makes you think that it seems like the IDC board in fact doesnt just care about "STEM degrees" high GPA and high OAR but indeed a whole package and needs of the Navy at the time of applying.
That is just not true, the intel field is very small (limited openings), and also very selective. Like any other business, they put significant value on experience in Intel. Usually applicants with the desired background are active/prior enlisted from the Intel community. The "N" in ProRec -N, mean Non-select... not Non-qualified!:)

It IS NOT that the Nayy/Board doesn't value STEM Degrees, GPAs, or test scores, they simply put a great emphasis on field Intel experience. These facts should be realized by all Intel applicants prior to packet submission, as they are posted repeatedly in all the Intel threads.;)
BzB

Skikopey

I didn't say DONT care, I said doesn't JUST care...and yes I can see prior exp. is a factor as with the whole candidate concept. There are obviously cases where people with no intel background get picked up (a few people on this thread and the last board thread) or they wouldn't open it to people with no intel background experience. Moreover, even intel exp. people had to start somewhere.

Honest question though, why would you say in your opinion that intel is moreso only open to people with intel exp. as opposed to any other designator that requires some sort of technical training, security clearance or background? For example, flight training...

Yeh, qualified to apply and actually being picked up are two different monsters!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't say DONT care, I said doesn't JUST care...and yes I can see prior exp. is a factor as with the whole candidate concept. There are obviously cases where people with no intel background get picked up (a few people on this thread and the last board thread) or they wouldn't open it to people with no intel background experience. Moreover, even intel exp. people had to start somewhere.

Honest question though, why would you say in your opinion that intel is moreso only open to people with intel exp. as opposed to any other designator that requires some sort of technical training, security clearance or background?
Because the Intel field is relatively small and highly specialized. Sure most non-prior applicants are 'qualified', can be, and are selected if there are slots available. With all else fairly equal, priors will get the nod, that's just the way it is in Intel.:(
For example, flight training...
Decades of Navy flight training have shown that civilian/General Aviation flight time has little effect on learning to fly "the Navy way" which is procedurally quite different from civil, and even USAF aviation. Often, GA aviating habit patterns have to be broken, and relearned which slows progress somewhat. I have spent 2 tours as a Navy IP, and I (along with a majority of other IPs I've known), prefer a SNA with a 'cleaa slate' starting out.:)

A tip for applicants coming jn with beaucoup flight hours/Inst.time/ratings, etc.... that's all fine, just try to practice humility, and don't play the Tom Cruise bit. Your peers (and IPs) will be very appreciative!;)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

Honest question though, why would you say in your opinion that intel is moreso only open to people with intel exp. as opposed to any other designator that requires some sort of technical training, security clearance or background? For example, flight training...

Yeh, qualified to apply and actually being picked up are two different monsters!

There have been designators that technically are open to non priors but they really don't select them, an example is PAO, for years the only people they selected were priors then they selected a civilian, so it happens, but rarely.

JoJoGoHard

PRO-REC Y IW (18100) 20DEC13
A counterpart of mine had an IW get selected with a 53 OAR score. Of course his applicant was prior enlisted and had a very high GPA.
I was selected for IW with a 45 OAR score and 3.1 GPA; granted I am currently AD as an ET but who is to say exactly and specifically what the IDC boards are looking for besides the board members themselves... Good luck to all OCS applicants; continue fighting the good fight.

binoly

Just came across this thread and thought I'd join. I applied for SWO/IP. Not sure what my. Handed are with a non technical degree and my rate being MA but we shall see. Hoping for the best. Good luck to everyone.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I was selected for IW with a 45 OAR score and 3.1 GPA; granted I am currently AD as an ET but who is to say exactly and specifically what the IDC boards are looking for besides the board members themselves... Good luck to all OCS applicants; continue fighting the good fight.

Longest signature ever, please tell me your email signature is just as long if not longer! :cool:

jagger18

That doesn't sound right at all, the paperwork goes through multiple QA checks before it even gets to the board, there is also a checklist to go by, I would go with during the QA process they found a form not complete, or something not readable and then sent it back for corrections.

After trying to call my OR for several days, he responding to an email where he says that my medical got me disqualified for Intel, but that the N3M letter was good for Supply. I didn't apply for Supply, I applied only or Intel.

Does this make sense? Do OR's ever show candidates the physical letter with reasons for Pro-N ?

exNavyOffRec

After trying to call my OR for several days, he responding to an email where he says that my medical got me disqualified for Intel, but that the N3M letter was good for Supply. I didn't apply for Supply, I applied only or Intel.

Does this make sense? Do OR's ever show candidates the physical letter with reasons for Pro-N ?

The board doesn't see medical items, now if a person is deemed NPQ for a designator by N3M then you will be Pro X (not qualified) by NRC, but Supply is Staff Corps and Intel is Restricted Line, so both have medical requirements that if not identical are nearly identical.

An N3M letter will say "NPQ for designator xxxx due to history of, or currently having, or xxxx" or something very similar.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME

My OR sent me a copy of my PQ letter from N3M - it's just a short one-pager that says I am physically qualified for restricted line duty (I'm only applying for IDC due to age restrictions). My initial TNPQ (temporarily not physically qualified) letter did set out a list of concerning items, all of which I was able to get waived by submitting current evaluations.

It almost sounds like they got the wrong letter associated with your file or something - I can't even think of another explanation (but I'm certainly no expert). I can only imagine how frustrated you must be.

chihon fung

Hello,

Second time candidate for 1830 Intel, just confirmed my package is received by NRD.

Clearance: TS-SCI
Awards: 3-NAMs with added document "Page 4" of 6 overseas ribbon, 3 Good Conduct, and 5 sea service ribbon
GPA: 3.26 Information Systems B.S.
OAR: 47

The following aren't required but I listed it because I took it.
AFQT: 60
VE: 38
AR: 50
P/FOFAR: 5

11 Year AD, first class (SW/IDW)
Eval: transfer EP, new guy MP, and new first P
Interview Appraisal: O-6(SWO), O-6(Intel), and O-5(Intel) all on the left side between 7-10.
CO recommendation: All outstanding with one excellent.
LORs: O-6(AIR), O-4(SWO), O-4(AIR), and O-4(SWO)

chihon fung

Oh also I tailored my write up and extra stuff with Intel specifics. One LOR confirming my experience and Bravo Zulu received in Intel despite being a surface warrior.

Side topic for the other folks who are considering just getting in the door.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2014/NAV14181.txt

You are rolling with a gamble, but eventually if you wait long enough it can happen. This was just released for Officer Redesignation. It is all depending on manning e.g. redesignation within IDC is not sought for and this quarter has opened up for SWOs to lateral transfer out despite the past years where they have been locked in due to low personnel.

Last edited:

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Hello,

Second time candidate for 1830 Intel, just confirmed my package is received by NRD.

Clearance: TS-SCI
Awards: 3-NAMs with added document "Page 4" of 6 overseas ribbon, 3 Good Conduct, and 5 sea service ribbon
GPA: 3.26 Information Systems B.S.
OAR: 47

The following aren't required but I listed it because I took it.
AFQT: 60
VE: 38
AR: 50
P/FOFAR: 5

11 Year AD, first class (SW/IDW)
Eval: transfer EP, new guy MP, and new first P
Interview Appraisal: O-6(SWO), O-6(Intel), and O-5(Intel) all on the left side between 7-10.
CO recommendation: All outstanding with one excellent.
LORs: O-6(AIR), O-4(SWO), O-4(AIR), and O-4(SWO)

I am also waiting for this board. September 15th is creeping up, with less than a month to go.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I will believe it when the results are out:rolleyes:. The last board had everyone waiting for nearly two additional months.

That I did not know. Two additional months past the board date just to find out if you are professionally recommended or not?