• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July IDC Board Purgatory

AE2ENSIGN

Hey guys, I'll applying for INTEL in this board as well. I understand that the next IDC board should be around Mid-September. Here are my stats.

29 yr Male E-6 ( 5 years active, 5 years selective reserve total service time 10yrs)
Applying for SWO/ INTEL/ AMDO (in that order)
4 LORs- Retired SWO O-6, Retired Navy Doctor O-5, Separated O-2 that handles Naval Academy candidates for Southern California, College Mathematics Professor
3 Interviews- O-4 SWO got a 9 on the interview, O-5 INTEL got a 10 on the interview, O-4 AMDO got a 10 on the interview.
Major: B.A in Political Science 3.94 GPA , Summa Cum Laude
46 ASTB
Evals: MP, MP, EP, P (because of being a newly capped first class).
Collateral Duties: Command Fitness Leader, LPO for two work center divisions, Plane Captain Qualified.
Awards: NAM, JSOY resulting in CAP to E-6, JSOQ, Good Conduct Medal, EAWS Qualified.
Secret Clearance still current
Submitted Package: June 2014
Pro-Rec: ?????
FS: ?????
OCS: ?????

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey guys, I'll applying for INTEL in this board as well. I understand that the next IDC board should be around Mid-September.
Your package looks fine, with the exception of the somewhat low AOR. You still have a shot at SWO on the next board. If that doesn't pan out... retest to push that score up to mid-50s+, resubmit and you'll be good. Good luck on the upcoming boards.:)
BzB

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
I'll throw my hat in the ring too, along with a few things I've learned along the way so far (I first started the application process in August of 2013). According to my recruiter, the selection rate of the April IDC board was about 25%. He said about 200 people applied and about 50 were selected, though he wouldn't share exact numbers. He said overwhelmingly the prorec-Y's were prior enlisted folks and guys/gals with advanced degrees, with almost no exceptions.

I'm in the same boat as a number of you guys in this thread, in that I don't fit either of those categories. I was banking on a decent OAR score (53) and letters of reference from two retired Captains, an RDML who was at the time the Deputy Director of Naval Intelligence, and another RDML who was on the Joint Staff (both the Admirals specifically requested in their letters to have me selected so that they could have me on their staff ;)). All four of my references have known me literally my entire life. Despite that, I was prorec-N for all Intel/SWO-IW/IW in January.

I retook the full ASTB about a month ago and scored a 59 7/7/7 (woohoo!), have worked full-time for about a year now in a job that involves the daily handling of classified material, completely reworked my motivational statement, and had all my references update their LOR's. One of the admirals recently received another star and is taking command of a CSG in two weeks, the other is the CO of a regional command and is up for another star as well. I also received my TS/SSBI ~ six months ago. With the solid aviation scores I've put my package in for SNA & SNFO along with my second INTEL application (of course, they cancelled the July aviation board also).

Coming up on my 1 year anniversary of starting this process, and I'm more motivated than ever. Hope you dudes are too. Keep at it, and remember why we're all here... It'll all be worth it in the end.

exNavyOffRec

I'll throw my hat in the ring too, along with a few things I've learned along the way so far (I first started the application process in August of 2013). According to my recruiter, the selection rate of the April IDC board was about 25%. He said about 200 people applied and about 50 were selected, though he wouldn't share exact numbers. He said overwhelmingly the prorec-Y's were prior enlisted folks and guys/gals with advanced degrees, with almost no exceptions.

I'm in the same boat as a number of you guys in this thread, in that I don't fit either of those categories. I was banking on a decent OAR score (53) and letters of reference from two retired Captains, an RDML who was at the time the Deputy Director of Naval Intelligence, and another RDML who was on the Joint Staff (both the Admirals specifically requested in their letters to have me selected so that they could have me on their staff ;)). All four of my references have known me literally my entire life. Despite that, I was prorec-N for all Intel/SWO-IW/IW in January.

I retook the full ASTB about a month ago and scored a 59 7/7/7 (woohoo!), have worked full-time for about a year now in a job that involves the daily handling of classified material, completely reworked my motivational statement, and had all my references update their LOR's. One of the admirals recently received another star and is taking command of a CSG in two weeks, the other is the CO of a regional command and is up for another star as well. I also received my TS/SSBI ~ six months ago. With the solid aviation scores I've put my package in for SNA & SNFO along with my second INTEL application (of course, they cancelled the July aviation board also).

Coming up on my 1 year anniversary of starting this process, and I'm more motivated than ever. Hope you dudes are too. Keep at it, and remember why we're all here... It'll all be worth it in the end.

I believe NOPO said the actual selection was close to 16%

AE2ENSIGN

Your package looks fine, with the exception of the somewhat low AOR. You still have a shot at SWO on the next board. If that doesn't pan out... retest to push that score up to mid-50s+, resubmit and you'll be good. Good luck on the upcoming boards.:)
BzB

Sir,

I know the OAR score is low. I hope I have a decent shot at the SWO board, because that's what I really want to do. Initially, I went to College to pursue a degree in Political Science, because at the time that was the degree that was preferred to be an INTEL Officer. Times have changed now with the Navy's push for STEM majors. But, after doing my interviews, I am thinking that I may like being a SWO more. I got my fingers crossed. :)

exNavyOffRec

Sir,

I know the OAR score is low. I hope I have a decent shot at the SWO board, because that's what I really want to do. Initially, I went to College to pursue a degree in Political Science, because at the time that was the degree that was preferred to be an INTEL Officer. Times have changed now with the Navy's push for STEM majors. But, after doing my interviews, I am thinking that I may like being a SWO more. I got my fingers crossed. :)

you were caught in the "things have changed but the PA hasn't", they started looking for STEM guys right when I came into recruiting in 2009

AE2ENSIGN

you were caught in the "things have changed but the PA hasn't", they started looking for STEM guys right when I came into recruiting in 2009
Sir, you are correct. At the time, the publication stated that political science was preferred, not STEM majors. I started going to College in 2009,when I came off of active duty. If I would have know they preferred STEM, I most likely would have chosen a "science" major, instead of Political Science.

exNavyOffRec

Sir, you are correct. At the time, the publication stated that political science was preferred, not STEM majors. I started going to College in 2009,when I came off of active duty. If I would have know they preferred STEM, I most likely would have chosen a "science" major, instead of Political Science.

They weren't too quick in updating PA's back then, it seems now they move quicker. You have an outstanding GPA, I feel positive about your chances.

AE2ENSIGN

They weren't too quick in updating PA's back then, it seems now they move quicker. You have an outstanding GPA, I feel positive about your chances.

Thank you Sir, I hope the board likes my package. My dream is to be a Naval Officer, and it hasn't changed since initially joining the navy as an E-1.

acrjr718

Strongly recommend take SWO and GO! Being non-prior without extensive Intel experience... your chances are very minimal. If you opt to wait for the Intel board then non-select there, you'll have lost significant time, and your SWO spot will have gone to another. "A bird in hand, etc.,etc....!" ;)
BzB

Thanks for the response. Are you saying that you can lose your pro-rec after a certain period of time even if you're waiting for another board that hasn't met yet? I seem to have heard conflicting information about this.

Last edited:

fedman28

I look at it this way acrjr718, Officer selection is becomming increasingly more competitive with every board and the numbers are getting smaller and smaller with down sizing and budget cuts. If I were in your shoes and you main goal was to become a Naval Officer like most of us on here I would jump all over the PROREC-Y and the rest would be history. There are many of us on here who don't even have the option to apply for programs such as SNA/NFO , SWO ect. So we are limited to programs with higher age limits such as INTEL/IDC/Supply and thats about it for old guys like myself. I would be extatic to be able to apply for SWO knoing my packet there would be far more competitive than in the IDC community where its at now. Your call though ;)

jagger18

Hi everyone,

My recruiter says that I was pro-rec'd for Intel, but that the board disqualified me because of missing paperwork (he's supposed to find out the exact reason, and calling me, Monday). Does this sound accurate? Or is my OR incompetent?