• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July IDC Board Purgatory

acrjr718

How do my chances look with 59 OAR, 3.95 GPA BA in History, non-prior, and Russian proficiency...? A little dismayed by the July cancellation and low selection rates.

navyhaz

Im guessing the cancellation on the July board is due to quotas or budget? Im not quite sure how this works if the Sept board is just going to have twice the applicants which in turn would have twice the slots to fill. Any ideas RUFiO101?

I spoke briefly with the community manager for AMDO (which was also cancelled and rolled to February) and he stated there was not enough quotas to hold a board. Assuming here but it's safe to say that is the reason the IDC board got rolled. Benefits of the roll.... It is the first board for the FY-15 picks. They have their 'goal' for the FY and were in the front running to fill it.

So the OPNAV instruction for board convening and business rules states that for every 20(ish) quotas your given, you convene one board. Not sure what this means for the IDC community (outside of not having the required open spots to hold the summer board for the remaining FY-14 picks/start of FY-15) but for trending purposes and example, AMDO has a goal of about 13 per FY. They are scheduled for two boards from the start and have cancelled the second summer board for the past three years.

exNavyOffRec

I spoke briefly with the community manager for AMDO (which was also cancelled and rolled to February) and he stated there was not enough quotas to hold a board. Assuming here but it's safe to say that is the reason the IDC board got rolled. Benefits of the roll.... It is the first board for the FY-15 picks. They have their 'goal' for the FY and were in the front running to fill it.

So the OPNAV instruction for board convening and business rules states that for every 20(ish) quotas your given, you convene one board. Not sure what this means for the IDC community (outside of not having the required open spots to hold the summer board for the remaining FY-14 picks/start of FY-15) but for trending purposes and example, AMDO has a goal of about 13 per FY. They are scheduled for two boards from the start and have cancelled the second summer board for the past three years.

The Sept board is not the first board for FY15 picks, that was April, well kinda, there are December picks still waiting for OCS dates and they will be FY15 as well.

exNavyOffRec

How do my chances look with 59 OAR, 3.95 GPA BA in History, non-prior, and Russian proficiency...? A little dismayed by the July cancellation and low selection rates.

well, chances are not good, prior services goes a long way, so does tech degree, a graduate degree, etc. The one thing you do have going for you is a stellar GPA.

If you really want to be a USN officer apply for a designator that has high selection chances.

navyhaz

The Sept board is not the first board for FY15 picks, that was April, well kinda, there are December picks still waiting for OCS dates and they will be FY15 as well.

Oops! I was going off the new FY15 CNRC calendar. Looking back at 2014 I see that they started in February (sorry everyone). This will be the first board with their known / approved FY-15 goal numbers, right? In my failed attempt to call Millington and get an idea of what the numbers will look like, I have been told no one will know until late August. They trend year to year and I don't expect them to deviate from the norm this upcoming fiscal.

exNavyOffRec

Oops! I was going off the new FY15 CNRC calendar. Looking back at 2014 I see that they started in February (sorry everyone). This will be the first board with their known / approved FY-15 goal numbers, right? In my failed attempt to call Millington and get an idea of what the numbers will look like, I have been told no one will know until late August. They trend year to year and I don't expect them to deviate from the norm this upcoming fiscal.

The calendar is no more than a guide/placeholder and it is generally made before hard goals are actually known, in most cases it would be very lucky for true goals to be known before Jan 1 due to how the process works, but they still hold and select based on rough numbers.

When you call Millington you are probably reaching a processor, there are many here that can give you insight on how accurate their information can be, I like to use the example that even a broken clock is correct twice a day, so figure how often they aren't correct.

acrjr718

well, chances are not good, prior services goes a long way, so does tech degree, a graduate degree, etc. The one thing you do have going for you is a stellar GPA.

If you really want to be a USN officer apply for a designator that has high selection chances.

Thanks for the response, Sir. I received a pro-rec Y for SWO and am considering accepting that offer now rather than waiting 3+ months to find out about Intel.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the response, Sir. I received a pro-rec Y for SWO and am considering accepting that offer now rather than waiting 3+ months to find out about Intel.
Strongly recommend take SWO and GO! Being non-prior without extensive Intel experience... your chances are very minimal. If you opt to wait for the Intel board then non-select there, you'll have lost significant time, and your SWO spot will have gone to another. "A bird in hand, etc.,etc....!" ;)
BzB

navyhaz

Without bugging the personnel working the OCS help desk, is there a way to see if my package was pushed to the proper location(s) to wait board? Will it be reflected under my BOL 'Advancements/Selection Board' link; should I see something to indicate the process has started and that my application was received? The only confirmation I have is the send data from my outlook confirming it was delivered to the address mentioned in the 1420. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

dmamula

You should get an e-mail letting you know they processed your package. If you didn't receive one I would call. I been hearing too many people thinking there package was processed and then when board results come out they said they never got it or was not processed due to something.

navyhaz

You should get an e-mail letting you know they processed your package. If you didn't receive one I would call. I been hearing too many people thinking there package was processed and then when board results come out they said they never got it or was not processed due to something.

I did call and they had put eyes on my package. I had some follow up questions and called again six hours later and got a different processor. He asked for my name and did not "see anything" from me. I also asked if I would get an E-mail stating everything was good to go... The reply was "if you don't hear from us, it's a good thing" and that an E-mail will not be sent unless there was an issue with my package. I'd hate to call again. I guess I have to.

avid

Pro Rec Y SNA
I did call and they had put eyes on my package. I had some follow up questions and called again six hours later and got a different processor. He asked for my name and did not "see anything" from me. I also asked if I would get an E-mail stating everything was good to go... The reply was "if you don't hear from us, it's a good thing" and that an E-mail will not be sent unless there was an issue with my package. I'd hate to call again. I guess I have to.

This sounds about right. In my experience, I submitted my package and got an email from NRD saying I was missing parts 2 and 3 of my joint service transcripts. All I had to do was email them those docs in .PDF format. After that it was quiet again. So I called a few weeks later to make sure everything was on track. No news is good news in this case.

navyhaz

This sounds about right. In my experience, I submitted my package and got an email from NRD saying I was missing parts 2 and 3 of my joint service transcripts. All I had to do was email them those docs in .PDF format. After that it was quiet again. So I called a few weeks later to make sure everything was on track. No news is good news in this case.
Thanks for the info. Instead of calling I E-mailed. Not sure which one would P them off more. I imagine they are back logged from the holiday weekend. My most recent call was not pleasant; hostile tone and an overall felling I was being a bother.

Any way to track this process via BOL? I hate to have something this important just floating around without some way for me to check up on it.

avid

Pro Rec Y SNA
BOL at this moment only serves as a status checker post board, to see if you were pro y or n. I don't believe it has any sort of tracking in regard to a package and where it is in the process. I wouldn't worry too much about someone's tone over the phone. Active Duty applicants are pretty much in the dark throughout this whole waiting period and we don't have ORs to call for us.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

GPA and OAR score are there, but lately for all IDC programs (Intel, IW, IP, etc.) they've been taking either active duty or prior enlisted experience. They have taken some civilian applicants, but they have advanced degrees like Masters, JD, even one guy has a PhD here. It's a tough program that most recruiters don't fully understand. I still see applicants with a 3.1 Poli Sci degree from Univ of Phoenix attempt to apply because their recruiter insisted they have a chance.

I don't know your age or background, but I'd highly consider other GENOFF options like SWO. if your main goal is to become a Naval Officer, your stats are definitely competitive for the program.