• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July IDC Board Purgatory

fedman28

I started a thread for April IDC board because I was suppose to be submitting for that board, but was unable to make the deadline so my packet got submitted for the July IDC board, and is currently with the board which most in the IDC community hopefulls know is now cancelled. Congrats to the selectees of the April board. For those of us who are stuck on the cancelled board I though we could have our own thread to keep each other updated on the progress. Post stats ect. If we have to be in this situation may as well have some company :)

fedman28

No I mean July you know the one that was scheduled for July 14 and then cancelled Im sure im not the only one that submitted for that board. SO yes now it will be Sept. Thanks for the reminder RUFiO181 I have only been waiting over a year for my packet to go in front of a board whats a few more month and a few more hundred applicants to compete with right????

fedman28

Im guessing the cancellation on the July board is due to quotas or budget? Im not quite sure how this works if the Sept board is just going to have twice the applicants which in turn would have twice the slots to fill. Any ideas RUFiO101?

fedman28

Not sure when the deadline is Sache but it should just roll into the Sept. board if you submitted for the July board. Just be glad you got ProRec for SWO I dont even have that option so dont look a gift horse in the mouth. My first goal is to be a Naval Officer doesnt matter what community.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
My application will be seen by the Sept board. I'm hoping I get picked up for NFO instead though ..... We shall just have to wait and see.

PensacolaBayou

I have not been given the PROBOARD status yet, but the powers that be have started my background check. Was everyone as stressed out as I am trying to get contacts and numbers?

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
I am planning to submit for the September board. This will be my second IDC application; I received a pro-rec N in August 2013. My OR confirmed that the NRD paperwork deadline is August 4th, matching the information in the current NRC board schedule communication (although that still includes the July board, so could be subject to change).

Changes from my previous application are additional LORs, an interview or two, and a completely rewritten motivational statement. Planning to stick with my existing 65 OAR score. Haven't had a chance to earn any more academic qualifications, especially with a newborn.

Hoping this is enough to put me over the top, but if not I also have plans to start a master's degree in data analytics at UMUC starting in the fall semester. Figure I gotta play the long game too - in the event I miss the mark again, I'll be back in a couple years with a more technical degree (and hopefully a better fiscal environment).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am planning to submit for the September board. This will be my second IDC application; I received a pro-rec N in August 2013. My OR confirmed that the NRD paperwork deadline is August 4th, matching the information in the current NRC board schedule communication (although that still includes the July board, so could be subject to change).

Changes from my previous application are additional LORs, an interview or two, and a completely rewritten motivational statement. Planning to stick with my existing 65 OAR score. Haven't had a chance to earn any more academic qualifications, especially with a newborn.

Hoping this is enough to put me over the top, but if not I also have plans to start a master's degree in data analytics at UMUC starting in the fall semester. Figure I gotta play the long game too - in the event I miss the mark again, I'll be back in a couple years with a more technical degree (and hopefully a better fiscal environment).

Who did your interviews? And who did your LORs? Not to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you're prior enlisted or have some letters from senior Intel officers your chances of getting selected are fairly slim. NOPO put out at the last board that selection rate averaged around 17%. There's two civilian applicants on this forum who have been selected, but both I believe either had JDs or PhDs on hand.

I talk to students with poli sci degrees around a 3.0-3.5 (maybe even higher) who want to go Intel. Not prior enlisted either. It's an extremely competitive program with most folks selected either active or prior enlisted. If you really want to go Intel down the road you can always go Pilot/NFO/SWO, get your foot in the door and meet the right folks, and apply for a lateral transfer package down the road.

exNavyOffRec

Who did your interviews? And who did your LORs? Not to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you're prior enlisted or have some letters from senior Intel officers your chances of getting selected are fairly slim. NOPO put out at the last board that selection rate averaged around 17%. There's two civilian applicants on this forum who have been selected, but both I believe either had JDs or PhDs on hand.

I talk to students with poli sci degrees around a 3.0-3.5 (maybe even higher) who want to go Intel. Not prior enlisted either. It's an extremely competitive program with most folks selected either active or prior enlisted. If you really want to go Intel down the road you can always go Pilot/NFO/SWO, get your foot in the door and meet the right folks, and apply for a lateral transfer package down the road.

I believe he was over the age for Pilot/NFO, maybe SWO as well so he was kind of limited as to what he could apply for.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME

Rufio, thanks for the feedback. I certainly appreciate the long odds after seeing the selection rates, and more importantly the type of applicants being selected, on the recent IDC boards. I'm realistic that my background isn't the strongest I've seen on this forum: non-priors with no tech degree or language skills are a dime a dozen. Unfortunately, as NavyOffRec said above, I'm almost 30 and thus ineligible for any other community (first walked in to my recruiter's office six months before turning 29 - not enough time to get through to a commission before that crucial date).

I figure an advanced degree is all but essential and that's why I'm moving in that direction at the same time. However, I also figure it's worth giving it one more shot with the best package I can put together right now, given that it'll be two-plus years before I can improve that aspect of my credentials.

As far as the "who" question, I don't have any personal or professional connections to senior intel officers so my added LORs are coming from community folks - local elected official, church, etc. (my original set of LORs were mostly professional colleagues and supervisors so I have that angle covered). I am working to arrange interviews with senior officers from the IDC community, though.

It would be easy to give up between the low probability of selection and the not-insignificant time investment on my end to get everything done, but I genuinely believe my packet will better communicate why I am a good candidate. And if it wasn't hard, it wouldn't be worth doing!