• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jarhead

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Talked to several Marines today in/around Honolulu ... many in green and blue costumes going to USMC Birthday celebrations for the past two days ... (don't tell them it's November 10th :)) ... (I understand the logistics of doing many parties on one day, BTW), soooooooooooo ..... I asked a few what they thought about Swofford/Jarhead ..... and the universal verdict:

They said: "Swofford??? He's a major-league DICK and the movie contributes NOTHING to the credit of the Corps" ... what a surprise, yes ???? :)

*addendum* .... oh, yeah .... with regards to the "trailer" .... I personally flew a regiment of Marines (more than one trip, in case you're counting) to the sand in Gulf 1 and I don't recall seeing any of "my" aircraft tails represented in the trailer ... probably not in the movie, either :) .... I guess this is what happens when you film from Hollywood and from the boneyard in Arizona instead of doing the "real deal" .... I saw two interviews a few years back with Swofford .... young Anthony is/was a punk and I would not want him cleaning the heads in my outfit/squadron.

Take it for what it's worth ..... :)

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Been thinking about what I thought of the movie since last night...well other than sleeping and I find that I keep trying to find reasons to like it because it is a war movie but I keep coming up short. There were several times during teh movie that I cringed because of the way things were being protrayed and the things that were going on. I hated the book when I read it and while the movie wasn't as bad as the book it was still bad. I won't recommend anyone seeing it, its a complete waste of money.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Well, what people need to realize BEFORE they see the movie is that is just makes fun of the marines. I thought it was hilarious to see everyone in the movie trying to remain motivated when their time was being wasted. It was really sad how everyone's home life went to crap, though. As for me, I could definately see the mentality of many marines I have met.

Sundown

Eight-year-olds, Dude...
So who saw the movie this evening? Thoughts?

I thought that while it followed the book it didn't on some of the areas I didn't like about the book. Still not completely sure about what I thought overall though. They spent much less time on what happened after he got out of the Marine Corps and I thought it opened up too many questions for those who didn't read the book.

Well I will defer to others for more input.

Definitely not enough time spent on his return home. I think that is what puts Swofford's struggle into perspective. The movie definitely didn't come off anti-war enough to equal his sentiments in the book. SPOILIER ALERT: The part where he's talking to Jamie Foxx in the oil fields was pretty dead on though. You could really see the deep rift going on between a Marine, and a non-hacker. Also, when the Vietnam veteran gets on the bus when they get home; that hit a nerve and was right out of the book. Basically I'd say read the book now, rent the movie when it comes out on dvd. When is the movie ever as good as the book anyway? C+

wongaboo

Saw it last night. It wasn't as good as the book but it was worth my $6. For those of you comparing it to other Marine movies it does borrow heavily from some movies (Full Metal Jacket) but there is a difference. I think the critic Phil Villarreal put it best: "This is not a war film; it's a lack-of-war film."

UGAdawg34

IW Selectee
From a non-Marine, I felt that the movie portrayed the Corps very negatively. I do have family members that were in the Corps and I'm pretty sure that they would agree. It's almost like everything that went wrong with any of the Marines was the war or the Corps fault. I never read the book so I am just basing this off of the movie.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Ok, I just saw it. I can't count the number of little kids I saw there. I actually heard some scumbag tell his kid, probably 1 year old, to shut the hell up and stop crying. WTF is wrong with people. The little girl behind me was holding a baby doll as she walked out of the theatre. This kind of thing is inexcusable and I am revolted.
For those who have graduated kindergarten and are old enough to see a movie without their minds being warped, I thought it was pretty good. I haven't made my mind up fully, but its better than most of the trash holllywood puts out.

cWood30

PLC Sr's Candidate
I noticed that too. There were tons of kids in the theatre when I saw it. I only noticed when we got out of the theatre though, and thought to myself what/who the hell brings kids to an R rated movie, nonetheless one with such easily anticipated scenes that aren't suitable for kids in any sense. Oh well, guess I just have a different view of parenting, which doesn't include taking my kids to a movie that could/will input negative images for the rest of their lives. The faces on some of those kids coming out were just so dishartened and almost scared. :ashamed_1

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I saw Jarhead last night... the theatre was packed full of Marines...

As for the movie... eh... not terribly good, but not terribly bad either.

1. The 3 minutes of basic training that were shown I think tried to be too much like FMJ... Good for shcok value, but from what I've been told, not good on realism. (Anyone who went through basic training during that time period, I'd like to know how accurately it protrayed it).

2. Someone earlier mentioned that in the movie, you get barraged with thoughts, but no explinations as to why Swofford is having them. Agreed. The movie goes very much into what Swofford is thinking, but lacks any good explination or background as to whay he's feeling that way.

3. On pure entertainment value, Jarhead is decent at best. But it really lacked the "umph" that could have made it much better.

There's something to be said when you're walking out a movie about Marines and all you hear is "Man... that movie was sh!t" by a good many of the Marines that were in attendance.

As I said before, with the accuracy of the basic training scenes, I'm going off of stories from people I know. If any of you went through during that time, I'd like to find out just how accurate that portrayal was (all 3 minutes of it).

Shields up, please don't hit me too hard...

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I was just thinking, and that movie reminded me a lot of Mr. Roberts. They're obviously very different movies, but at the core they're both about a bunch of troops trying to face their boredom as the war passes them by. Main difference being that you could take your kids to see Mr. Roberts without being a scumbag parent.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
I was just thinking, and that movie reminded me a lot of Mr. Roberts. They're obviously very different movies, but at the core they're both about a bunch of troops trying to face their boredom as the war passes them by. Main difference being that you could take your kids to see Mr. Roberts without being a scumbag parent.
And Mr Roberts had the right attitude while Swofford was a chode.

spec05v

Waiting...
Just saw it. I think it was entertaining at best. My only major complaint was the abundance of BS at the end...
"I'm burning all of these (desert utilities). We'll never be back here."
It was a movie about nothing, without the Seinfeld humor.

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
Just got back from the theatre and firstly, I have to agree with a couple of earlier posts. WHY were there kids in there? Some people need to go back to Parenting 101. Secondly, I haven't read the book yet,but Swofford does come across as someone who has an axe to grind against the corps. A very anti-war/anti-marine corps movie IMHO, but filled with good laughs.