• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jarhead

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Did it really portray them that poorly? There were a decent amount of positive elements (Foxx's character seemed to be an ideal NCO). I just think the negatives tend to stand out a lot more. I know this guy was supposed to be disillusioned, but unless he was lying (I have no clue. haven't read the book) then that stuff actually happened. Are people upset that the movie showed these things that happened, or because they have to confront the fact that Marine/military life isn't as ideal as they'd like to believe? Overall it was negative, but it was a story about screwed up dudes and the fact that there were only a handful of scumbags in the movie with thousands of Marines says something. I know for me the scum stick out more than the stars, so sometimes I have to consciously remind myself that these people don't represent the group. I think most people who see the film will realize that.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Did it really portray them that poorly? There were a decent amount of positive elements (Foxx's character seemed to be an ideal NCO)....
Foxx's character was far from the ideal NCO/leader. While he did train his Marines, he was abusive. The football game, paint ball to the face and reveille scenes are all examples. He was on a power trip.

I realize you are a SNA and therefore probably newly commissioned with little leadership experience, but Foxx's character is not one that you want to emulate or hope your LPOs/Chiefs emulate.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
FlyingBeagle said:
I know this guy was supposed to be disillusioned, but unless he was lying (I have no clue. haven't read the book) then that stuff actually happened. Are people upset that the movie showed these things that happened, or because they have to confront the fact that Marine/military life isn't as ideal as they'd like to believe? Overall it was negative, but it was a story about screwed up dudes and the fact that there were only a handful of scumbags in the movie with thousands of Marines says something. I know for me the scum stick out more than the stars, so sometimes I have to consciously remind myself that these people don't represent the group. I think most people who see the film will realize that.[/QUOTE]

I am sure that there are some areas of the book that he used poetic licence for and surely the movie since things are different from the book. I have heard many make the claim that he made up a big portion of the stuff and even if he didn't I am sure that he exaggerated parts of it. So I would have to say don't believe everything you read / see.

As for people realizing that they don't represent all Marines, you are really giving people mroe credit then they deserve. Couple instances to illustrate. Within 5 mins as I was leaving the theatre I overhead civilians talking about, "can you believe that, the hazing they go through to become Marines...", (reference to the shooting around the fire towards the end)"they are nothing better than rednecks" and within 20 mins I had friends calling me (who aren't serving) asking if thats what the Marine Corps is really like.

I found it very interesting that I saw several Marine NCOs walk out in the middle of the movie and never come back.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Just out of curiosity, what did those of you who found the movie to be completely negative in its representation of the Marines take offense to? Having never been in the military I obviously have little bearing on how realistic things like Foxx's character are but from where I was sitting, the film didn't seem to lean too far in either direction. Sure, it was very clear that Swofford wasn't happy being a Marine, but as I saw that was tempered by his spotter who wanted nothing more than to be a Marine. It might be that I have no ties to the Marines and as such don't feel compelled to say that anything which hints at negatives in enlisted Marine life, even if true, is BS. I didn't leave the theater thinking to myself, "man, the Marine Corps sucks" and found out, upon later discussion with my friends, that none of us thought that once during the film. Like Phrog said, it seemed like a movie about a guy who didn't like his job though there were others around him who did and had no problem with it. What works for some doesn't do it for others, that kind of thing. One thing I did find interesting was the relatively low numbers of nutty, itching for a fight kind of guys were in the movie (just that one assh0le that blew up the camel's head). In most of my dealings with Marines in various Waikiki workplaces, I've met (read: had to help throw out) many more angry, angry Marines.

Edit: Just thought I'd state that I'm well aware that the percent who start fights do not represent the whole of the Corps.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Today during drill our AMOI asked us who had seen the movie and of those who thought it sucked. I haven't seen it yet but I was amused.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Just out of curiosity, what did those of you who found the movie to be completely negative in its representation of the Marines take offense to?

1. Foxx's character was a fanatic and abusive. Seemed to be all about the power trip.
  2. It portrayed all officers in a very negative way.
  3. Several anti-war digs in the movie referring back to the current situation in Iraq.
  4. Downplayed the significance of and the importance of the Infantry, gave the impression that they weren't needed.
  5. Absolutely no reference to a combined arms scenario, no MAGTF (only downplayed Infantry while making the air side look incompetent)
  6. Only air support in the show was friendly fire.
  7. Wives and girlfriends at home were all $luts and showed no support to their troops in the desert, with one exception.
  8. Demotions were almost arbitrary and at the whim of the NCOs, where low level NCOs had near zero authority / responsibilities.

Just to name a few. No one will argue that there aren't those who hate their jobs, which has been discussed above, but out of that entire group only two liked their jobs, a low percentage IMO. As for nutty, itching for a fight kind of guys, I think you will find that many are more professional than that. You must remember that resort locations such as Waikiki typically have a lot of alcohol around, and alcohol makes many in our society act differently than they normally do and not just Marines.

Just my take right now that I have a few minutes to post. I am sure others will add more.

ip568

None
Movie is a lie

The whistle has already been blown on this movie. It's an anti-military pack of lies from our friends in Hollywood. Sorry.

riley

Can we stop the generalizations - the liberals could call us dumb rednecks that kill babies and are in the military because you can't get a real job..... Lets not start to sound like Democrats berating Bush with grandiose statements that have no supporting arguments...

What's wrong with the movie? Boot camp used to be like that. People complain when you sit around doing nothing for six months diggin holes in a sandbox. Women cheat. What officers did it portray poorly? The Battalion Commander? He seemed pretty locked on. The major was a screwup, but you get that anywhere you go... Anti-war what? They all seemed pretty motivated to go kill. yeah the last line is a bit cheesy. Don't you wonder if we are doing the right thing? We did have fratricide with air support. The second scene with air seemed to do the job destroying the airfield. You're going to see Marines like Foxxe's character - hell, there was one like that when I went to OCS.

Realize it is a movie from one persons experience - if you aren't seeing any action, then you are going to think you're participation (ie infantry) is being downplayed. Hell, it was mainly an air war anyways. He was a Marine, so he will ***** and exagerate stories.

I thought they did a good job. There were smart Marines and dumb ones, psychos and quiet dudes. Good officers, bad officers. These are 18 and 19 year old kids. When you were that age - didn't you want to go blow some sh!t up? If you answer "no" you are either a pacifist or someone that supports gun control.

riley

I took out the Navy comment because I don't really mean it (my Grandad was in the Navy and he is the one person I admire the most), some people have soft skin and sometimes I get carried away ...and I'd like to get back to talking about the movie. So put negative comments against me and lets move on with the post.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
  1. Several anti-war digs in the movie referring back to the current situation in Iraq.

1. Saw the movie, thought it was okay but definitely agree with the above. The particular moments for me would be the quick camera glance at the oil sign when the soldiers departed the plane. Maybe the little blurb by the Marine when they came upon the highway of death....'they were just trying to escape." IMO, that little comment I suppose meant we slaughtered innocent soldiers who were retreating from Kuwait. Of course the little comment of we will never have to come back, also seemed to be a dig.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I took out the Navy comment because I don't really mean it, some people have soft skin and sometimes I get carried away ...and I'd like to get back to talking about the movie.

No, it's because it's a typical TBS 2ndLt comment. Bonehead and ignorant.

Now back to the movie.