• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jarhead

flygirlA47474

applicant PLC air-jrs 2006
overall, i thought the movie was really funny but it lacked alot of things that could of made it good. I juat really hated the last line of the movie:
"We are still in the desert".

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
yeah, because that is how he wanted to portray how useless all his sacrifice was.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I'll second (or 3rd or 4th) that I was very surprised by the number of kids in the theater. But then I went to Hooters afterwards and it was inundated with kids too, maybe there's something in the water in Pcola.

I haven't read the book, but I was totally lost when they returned home. Complete shift in gears, and it didn't make sense to me. There was no explanation or lead-in. The funeral even threw me for a loop, but maybe its just cause I'm a dumbass.

On a sidenote, I love how Jamie Foxx is now a badass, first a Naval aviator and now a SSgt.:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
yeah, because that is how he wanted to portray how useless all his sacrifice was.
One important thing ... and I'm not diggin' at you, Matt .... just the idea that you put forward that many subscirbe to, namely : " he wanted to portray how useless all his sacrifice was .... "

Fvck him !!! I could care less about all the weak-sh!ts in the world like Swofford & Co. and whether or not they think they are/were "relevant" ..... tell me about useless sacrifices .... but would I/and most of my Amigos do it again ???

..... Three guesses -- and the first two don't count. You bet we would...... You do it for each other --- not your Mama, Papa, or Uncle Sam .... you do it for each other 'cause nobody else much gives a damn. That's the way it always is.

Guys like Swofford have not a clue --- so don't you-all be one of the Swofford's of the world ....

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I'm not saying I agree with him, it's just that his focus was more on life outside the USMC vs. inside.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm not saying I agree with him, it's just that his focus was more on life outside the USMC vs. inside.
Right .... got it.

Gulf 1 was a drive-by shooting .... and that's the way it is. I'm just saying that as a result, guys like young Anthony have not a clue as to what a real sacrifice is --- and it's not about him. But they continue to think it is .....

ALOHA :)

Xeo111

I just saw it. I've never been in the fleet. I've never served any time in the Corps aside from having finished OCS. With that in mind, my < 2 cents...

That DI in the beginning had no intensity at all. He was just profane, and I second the notion about FMJ. After 30 seconds I was waiting for R. Lee Ermy to make an appearance. I wish they had shown what a DI is capable of.

I can't believe that they would allow them to go and shoot off their weapons like that at the end. Wouldn't that constitute a breakdown in discipline?

Every Marine I've ever interacted with (not just instructors at OCS) loved the Corps, was disciplined, respectful, highly professional...this movie makes it seem like none of them are.

I read the book - Swofford (or at least the character that Swofford is trying to be) ends up seeming like this lone wolf, Rambo-ish type of guy...He also comes off as a self-important prick.

...and there was that guy during the Indoc live-fire who panicked, spazzed out, and got shot. I was a little dumbfounded about that. I don't know why, but I think it was something about being trained to stay down and keep crawling when under fire and the way this guy 'forgot' how to do that...

Guys, those of you learned in the ways of the Corps, please help me out here. Am I completely off or was this movie just full of sh*t?

It may be too soon to tell, but right now I think I hated that movie.

And yeah...Jodie sucks.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
xeo111 said:
Every Marine I've ever interacted with (not just instructors at OCS) loved the Corps, was disciplined, respectful, highly professional...this movie makes it seem like none of them are.

Well then it's obvious you've never been to the fleet......

xeo111 said:
I've never been in the fleet.

Like every organization there are those who are unhappy and disgruntaled. You can't please everyone and you shouldn't try, thats not the Marine Corps mission. Disciplined and respectful, most that I have met are but it doesn't take long to run into those few bad apples. Anyway norm, he did indicate that he hasn't been in the fleet so good on him for that.

Not all E-1s, 2s, 3s hate the Marine Corps...I have met many who are motivated as h3ll.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
We used to use the expression, "There's always that 10%," a lot. Personally, I think that's BS, and that it's more like 1-2%. Meaning that, out of all the Marines you'll deal with, there will always be that 1-2% who have slipped through the cracks. Of course, that 1-2% was basically my entire first squadron when I was enlisted, but that's another story.

Anyway, while this might be true on the enlisted side, I think the general screening for OCS/USNA/ROTC/etc. cuts this number way, way back in the officer ranks. But I'm a firm believer that there will always exist "That Guy," and really the only way to reign he/she in is some superior peer leadership (yes, the hardest type) and a good CO/XO/SgtMaj tag team.

From the little I've read from the book, and from what I've heard about Swofford from people who served with him, he definitely falls into that 1-2% category, and it's a shame. The guy's obviously got some smarts if he's going to get himself book and movie deals, so just imagine if someone had been able to find the right combination of positive v. negative reinforcement and leadership to help this guy shine.

I think that I do have to agree with A4s, though, this guy's a sh!t.

phrogpilot73

From a non-Marine, I felt that the movie portrayed the Corps very negatively. I do have family members that were in the Corps and I'm pretty sure that they would agree. It's almost like everything that went wrong with any of the Marines was the war or the Corps fault. I never read the book so I am just basing this off of the movie.
OK, here's what it amounts to. Swofford appeals to people who are disenchanted with their chosen profession. It doesn't matter whether you're an officer or enlisted, if you're disgruntled - you identify with Swofford. I have a buddy that's in the squadron who has said numerous times that if he had it to do all over again, he would have DOR'd in OCS. He absolutely loves the book and the movie. Me? Yes, I'm considering getting out, but I'm not bitter and appreciate my experiences, so I didn't enjoy the book or the movie. It's going to portray the USMC in a bad light because it's a disgruntled Marine writing it. It would be like watching a movie about a Postal Employee opening fire in a Post Office and saying "I think it portrayed the Postal Service in a negative light."