• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January/February 2015 SNA/NFO Board

jack-o

pilot
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I failed the Depth Perception at MEPS, but knew I didn't have an issue. Went to an ophthalmologist the following week, passed with flying colors, and faxed the results to my OR. The next business day I got the thumbs up that I was cleared to apply for pilot. So here I am, finalized my packet on Wednesday for SNA and NFO.
Any tips for the ASTB throttle/yoke tracking?

CGrissom15

Well it's going to feel horrible no matter what so I'd say the biggest thing is to stay calm and not get frustrated. Keep trying to track both no matter how poorly you feel you're doing. Luckily I read some posts on here before I went in that said exactly that.

As for an actual strategy, I kind of spaced out and didn't focus my full attention on either, rather I tracked both in my peripherals and tried to stay as close as possible.. I was never really that close to either. I was mostly trying not to end up on the other side of the screen. A few times when I would focus on one over the other I ended up with my other tracker sitting idly in the corner. Overall advice.. stay calm, try to make more subtle adjustments versus ripping the throttle/joystick the opposite direction to catch up, and try not to focus your full attention on either.

KnightFlight

No advice from me. I bombed my first ASTB and did NOT stay calm when I found out about all of the changed formatting from the old test. I feel like I did terrible on the stick/throttle section. In particular, I have no clue if my emergency procedures even worked.
I'm taking it again hopefully in a few weeks.
Good luck!

CGrissom15

No advice from me. I bombed my first ASTB and did NOT stay calm when I found out about all of the changed formatting from the old test. I feel like I did terrible on the stick/throttle section. In particular, I have no clue if my emergency procedures even worked.
I'm taking it again hopefully in a few weeks.
Good luck!

Oh yeah that's another HUGE thing.. I forgot about the emergency procedures. Write down the emergency procedures they give you before you proceed to the next screen. Once you're in the actual test you have enough time to read the screen, check your note on what the specific sequence is, then perform the sequence. That was a game changer for me. If I hadn't read that suggestion on here before I went in I never would have thought to do it.

mizzouzk

Fly big stuff
Oh yeah that's another HUGE thing.. I forgot about the emergency procedures. Write down the emergency procedures they give you before you proceed to the next screen. Once you're in the actual test you have enough time to read the screen, check your note on what the specific sequence is, then perform the sequence. That was a game changer for me. If I hadn't read that suggestion on here before I went in I never would have thought to do it.
I totally forgot the emergency procedures because I didnt write them down, so I flicked knobs and turned dials that probably did nothing. I also flailed around the screen like an idiot and I got a 54 7/7/7 and got in. No worries just relax. And dont be jumpy with the throttle or yoke...be slow and easy

Tosh Taylor

Well, it looks like I'm migrating to this thread now. Missed the last board because a doctor forgot to check a box at MEPS.

Graduation: Dec 2014
-SNA
Aeronautical Science Major, 3.9GPA
Commercial Multi-Engine Instrument rated, Certified Flight and Instrument Instructor, Advanced Ground Instructor with 500hrs and counting
Current Flight Instructor for Kansas State, and over the summer I was an instructor for the Naval Academy Powered Flight Program
Collegiate Flight Team coach, 2013 & 2014 Back-to-back Regional Top Pilot and Top Scoring Contestant
ASTB: 60 7/8/8
LORs: 1 USN O-6, 1 USN O-5, Chief Flight Instructor, Former Boss

Reactions: HTR

KnightFlight

Well, it looks like I'm migrating to this thread now. Missed the last board because a doctor forgot to check a box at MEPS.

-SNA
Commercial Multi-Engine Instrument rated, Certified Flight and Instrument Instructor, Advanced Ground Instructor with 500hrs and counting
Current Flight Instructor for Kansas State, and over the summer I was an instructor for the Naval Academy Powered Flight Program
Collegiate Flight Team coach, 2013 & 2014 Back-to-back Regional Top Pilot and Top Scoring Contestant
Switch to NFO so I have a chance... :D

KnightFlight

-SNA
Oh and if we do both get picked up, dibs on you for study buddy haha

AttackCanary

Alright. Hoping to make the Jan/Feb board assuming there is one in that time frame.
Had LASIK this summer and have to wait until Jan 11 to go to MEPS... hoping they can get paperwork done in time. Vision is perfecto :)

Someone on here mentioned the acceptance rate for the last board was abnormally high... what was it?

Leetwo

pilot
I could probably think of a million! Haha. I'm brushing up on my math skills and am wondering just how far to go. Should I focus on more than intermediate algebra? Did any types of questions come up that you didn't expect? And for mechanical comprehension/physics problems, are formulas provided? I only have a few basic ones memorized.
Adding onto what Tasha said... the questions get harder the more questions you get correct. My math portion ended with a summation problem (what's the sum of x^2+1 from 0 - 100 -- like that).. if you've had some calculus you can integrate... Food for thought.

KnightFlight

Did you retake your ASTB yet?
Negative, studied all weekend and I've been squeezing in an hour or so everyday after work. I'm hoping to take it the week after Thanksgiving.
Adding onto what Tasha said... the questions get harder the more questions you get correct. My math portion ended with a summation problem (what's the sum of x^2+1 from 0 - 100 -- like that).. if you've had some calculus you can integrate... Food for thought.
That's the first I've heard of calc being on the new version. Easy question but it would have thrown me for a loop if I hadn't seen your post. Actually, I shouldn't say easy since it's been years since I took calc. Is the answer 333,433.33?

Last edited:

KnightFlight

Alright. Hoping to make the Jan/Feb board assuming there is one in that time frame.
Had LASIK this summer and have to wait until Jan 11 to go to MEPS... hoping they can get paperwork done in time. Vision is perfecto :)

Someone on here mentioned the acceptance rate for the last board was abnormally high... what was it?
Yeah it was pretty high from what I saw, and even so I didn't get picked up with my crap scores lol. I wouldn't count on such high rates this time around.

mz247

Hey guys, this is my first time writing on this blog, I have been following it quite a bit though.

You mentioned questions on the ASTB-E, it apparently is all adaptable based. So if you begin to do well, then the questions will gradually increase in difficulty.

I have sent everything in, Medical, ASTB, LOR, all that good stuff, my kit is sent so if you have any questions let me know.

I am however wondering when the next Pilot/NFO boards are. My recruiter sort of dropped off the face of the earth recently so I'm left in the dark a bit.

I applied for Pilot/Intel/NFO.