• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IDC (IP/IW/INTEL/SWO-IDC Otion) Board

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
And this is why you scored a 73 on your OAR.
Well, math is only one part of the exam. I remember thinking while taking it that none of the problems on the math portion required any content knowledge beyond what my College Algebra students should know. However, I considered several of the word problems to be exceptionally tricky (not for me, of course, but well beyond what I would ever ask those students to do independently).

exNavyOffRec

Well, math is only one part of the exam. I remember thinking while taking it that none of the problems on the math portion required any content knowledge beyond what my College Algebra students should know. However, I considered several of the word problems to be exceptionally tricky (not for me, of course, but well beyond what I would ever ask those students to do independently).

The interesting thing about the graph is that in theory if you test 100 people half will score greater than 50 and half less than 50 so of all the people tested at an NRD we should see an equal split, but I know from experience that isn't the case, unless there were NRD's who had a lot of people test less than 50.

Sache

Ironic the last 15 posts or so...I guess that's why IDC prefer technical degrees. :p

Mechanical inclination and reading comprehension was required as well for a good score. I figured the reading was the most hardest for the average person.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
The interesting thing about the graph is that in theory if you test 100 people half will score greater than 50 and half less than 50 so of all the people tested at an NRD we should see an equal split, but I know from experience that isn't the case, unless there were NRD's who had a lot of people test less than 50.
There could be a number of reasons for that. The sample could be biased by the recruiters themselves. With all of your experience, I'm sure you would be able to tell when a person would make a poor applicant, and not even have them take the OAR in the first place.
In addition, depending on how the exam is designed, potential officer candidates -- with their (often technical) college degrees and inclination to study their butts off for this important exam -- could tend to skew the scores upward.

dmamula

Unless things recently changed the only designator that needed an OAR over 35 was AMDO at 40

Just recieved a e-mail from the people that process the packages. They stand corrected after verifying with there director. Intel is 45 everything else is 35. Looks like I will be dropping my package after all.

The minimum OAR for IDC designators is 45 IAW OPNAVINST 1420.1B which is dated back in 2009.

I thought so also until this morning when I received that e-mail

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

There could be a number of reasons for that. The sample could be biased by the recruiters themselves. With all of your experience, I'm sure you would be able to tell when a person would make a poor applicant, and not even have them take the OAR in the first place.
In addition, depending on how the exam is designed, potential officer candidates -- with their (often technical) college degrees and inclination to study their butts off for this important exam -- could tend to skew the scores upward.

I have heard of some places doing "mass testing" when it came to the OAR without much screening and that would skew the numbers, now that it is computer based I bet those that did that will not be doing that anymore and be more selective, if so that distribution graph will be different.

One other correlation we found was that in general a person that has a high GPA scores high on the OAR, there were of course exceptions but an interesting data point.

The graph is old BTW since the ASTB E started in December, and who knows if they even bother to update it regularily, that could affect it as well.

jagger18

Just recieved a e-mail from the people that process the packages. They stand corrected after verifying with there director. Intel is 45 everything else is 35. Looks like I will be dropping my package after all.

I thought so also until this morning when I received that e-mail

Simply re-take the test and give yourself atleast 3 months to prepare.

dmamula

Simply re-take the test and give yourself atleast 3 months to prepare.

I am going to definitely. I have to wait 90 days anyways to retake. Since my package is already done I will apply for the July boards. I was thinking the same thing you are and was not going to drop my package but all my Officers that are involved with my putting my package together told me to try. They were like "you have strong GPA (tech degree)/Interviews/Evals/LOR's /enlisted in the field I want to go in and have a SCI already. The board is going to look at the package as a whole and not just one test. If I don't get picked up I can reapply for the September boards right after I retake the OAR. I just don't see a point not to try.

JoJoGoHard

PRO-REC Y IW (18100) 20DEC13
I am going to definitely. I have to wait 90 days anyways to retake. Since my package is already done I will apply for the July boards. I was thinking the same thing you are and was not going to drop my package but all my Officers that are involved with my putting my package together told me to try. They were like "you have strong GPA (tech degree)/Interviews/Evals/LOR's /enlisted in the field I want to go in and have a SCI already. The board is going to look at the package as a whole and not just one test. If I don't get picked up I can reapply for the September boards right after I retake the OAR. I just don't see a point not to try.
From one ET to another ET, you will be fine with your OAR score and submitting your package as stands... I only scored 4 points higher than you and was selected for IDC IW back in December 2013... I know a few others (AD) who were selected for IDC IW with OAR scores in the mid-high 30's, so don't stress over the score, IDC is looking for more than just an OAR score... Trust me I know... Good Luck with your package and keep us posted either way...