• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IDC (IP/IW/INTEL/SWO-IDC Otion) Board

Tenzo82

Decided to start this thread because stats and results for IDC personnel are all over the place and not centralized.

Tenzo82

This is round 3 for me. I am still pushing and my desire to get a commission is still burning inside of me.

Package submitted for April IDC board.

So here's my updated status.

31 years old with 12 years AD IT1 (IDW/SW/AW) currently stationed in Belgium.

OAR: 47
GPA: 3.4 with Information Technology Major
Interviews: 1 O-6, 3 O-5, 2 O4
LORs: 1 O-10 (European Commander), 1 O-6, 1 O-5, 1 SEL
Awards: 1 NCM, 2 NAM, MOVSM, Sailor of the Year 2006, JSOQ, 2013 Merit Award for outstanding Teamwork.
Comms Div LPO / Senior Tech for NATO personnel

Evals: EP,EP,P (new First class),EP, P (New guy “P”), MP (Current)
PFA: Outstanding, Outstanding, and Excellent

Courses and Certifications:
-US Naval War College (Primary Professional Military Education) course.
-Certified COMPTIA Network Plus, COMPTIA Security Plus
-Certified Cisco Network Associate
-Deployable Fiber Optic Technician

I hope to see some activity.

honorg58

Up for Intel this time around, was rejected for IW this December. Also have an application in for CWE, but that's a whole different beast.

23 y/0, non-prior

OAR: 59
Bachelor's in Computer Science (GPA: 3.0)
Master's in Computer Science(GPA 3.0)
Played Div. III football all 4 years of undergrad
LoRs: Retired O-4, Current O-2 (was my teammate from college), Head Football Coach from college
Leadership: Served on Players' Council on football team senior year of college, Eagle Scout in high school.

navy2014

So there's definitely a board in April? For which communities, exactly? As much time as I've spent here, and as much as intel was my initial interest, I have a really hard time with the abbreviations / organization of this community / group of communities. Pretty sure without a tech degree the only one I'm not automatically disqualified for under this umbrella is intel. Is that right?

KNSnowy

Navy2014, no, you can apply for IW and IP as well without a tech degree.

The general consensus (from what I've seen) is that it's helpful to have a course or two in calculus and physics. Some people say it drastically improves your chances to have a CS or STEM background, but others stress that IDC needs to be made up of sailors with diverse minds.

It might help to look at quotas for each designator to judge competition. I think, for example, only a few, rather than dozens, of IPs and SWO-IDC "vacancies" open per year.

KNSnowy

Kris, Chief L. told me he had one guy get Intel and I said "I bet I know who that is!"

Congratulations man, I knew you'd get it :D

When I get done traveling we have to start talking :) If the stars align we might be in IDC together!

Tenzo82

Up for Intel this time around, was rejected for IW this December. Also have an application in for CWE, but that's a whole different beast.

23 y/0, non-prior

OAR: 59
Bachelor's in Computer Science (GPA: 3.0)
Master's in Computer Science(GPA 3.0)
Played Div. III football all 4 years of undergrad
LoRs: Retired O-4, Current O-2 (was my teammate from college), Head Football Coach from college
Leadership: Served on Players' Council on football team senior year of college, Eagle Scout in high school.

Were you able to get an interview with a CWE officer?

Kristoffer Abonal

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae!"
Kris, Chief L. told me he had one guy get Intel and I said "I bet I know who that is!"

Congratulations man, I knew you'd get it :D

When I get done traveling we have to start talking :) If the stars align we might be in IDC together!
Hey KNSnowy,

That's great you know CPO L. also. I'd love to talk shop whenever. Hopefully I'll see you in IDC.

honorg58

Were you able to get an interview with a CWE officer?

No; my recruiter pitched the CWE idea to me after having finished my application for IW, and I figured why not. I think the only extra things he needed from me were a transcript and a new motivational statement; I haven't heard anything back yet.

honorg58

Just got the word from my OR; looks like I'll be enjoying the civilian life for a while longer.

It seems like the selection board is a total black box; anyone have any idea what these people are screening for specifically? Or is it really just a function of hammering away at the random probability long enough until you hit?

Kristoffer Abonal

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae!"
Just got the word from my OR; looks like I'll be enjoying the civilian life for a while longer.

It seems like the selection board is a total black box; anyone have any idea what these people are screening for specifically? Or is it really just a function of hammering away at the random probability long enough until you hit?

Sorry to hear that honorg58, but what I've been told is the boards looks at the full person profile. You should ask NavyOffRec about these questions or one of the other administrators.

Kristoffer Abonal

"Non Sibi Sed Patriae!"
So there's definitely a board in April? For which communities, exactly? As much time as I've spent here, and as much as intel was my initial interest, I have a really hard time with the abbreviations / organization of this community / group of communities. Pretty sure without a tech degree the only one I'm not automatically disqualified for under this umbrella is intel. Is that right?

Navy2014 I do not have a tech or STEM background. I was actually attending UCLA Law and then choose to drop out and pursue a navy commission. Apply and focus on the whole person aspect. Apply to Intel and put your name into the hat. You'll never find out if they might want you if you never do. I did, and I got my ProY. Semper Gumby.

exNavyOffRec

Sorry to hear that honorg58, but what I've been told is the boards looks at the full person profile. You should ask NavyOffRec about these questions or one of the other administrators.

GPA and degree are weighted heavily, if a person has a low GPA compared to others up for that designator you may not get far, but the things they look at for each designator are different, for instance for nuke you can have the personality of a dead fish as grades are key for them, for CEC you need to have a good degree, GPA, and have good reviews from the CEC interview, SNA and SNFO ASTB is king, but in things like IDC or SWO GPA and degree are the first things they see.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
I posted this in another thread, but crossposting here in case I can provide any insight. I got Pro-Rec'd for IW at the February board.