• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Homosexuals in Military

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
You're right Mot. You do seem pretty macho. I should have considered that.:D

I was mostly joking you PC knee jerk drama queen.

I spent three years working in the fashion industry, Ive partied with more drag queens in one night at Liquid than you'll ever hope to meet so spare me the "I'm so enlightened it hurts to share the Earth with you" crap.

It DOES hurt to share the Earth with you broseph :D j/k. Nah, I see what you're saying, and I'm not trying to be ultra-militant about it I just don't think it's fair for us to perpetuate double-standards for gays/lesbians.

P.S. What the hell were you doing working in the fashion industry?

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot

I spent three years working in the fashion industry, Ive partied with more drag queens in one night at Liquid than you'll ever hope to meet so spare me the "I'm so enlightened it hurts to share the Earth with you" crap.

disregard my orig response... had no idea you guys were bros...

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Save me the veiled "your're racist/homophobic" drivel. I have been there an done that. I doubt you have. Not in that confined quarters, and not for that long.

I'm not calling you or anyone a racist or a homophobe - not in the least. I'm just speaking in general terms. And my roommate my freshman year of college was gay.

-1... you sound like a prick. Nobody was personally attacking you. Nice response toolbag.

Wait wait.. rep him back up, he and I give each other shit all the time - he was just joking.

Also, I think I'm done in this thread. I really just came to make one point and I don't see it going good places if this continues.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I'm not calling you or anyone a racist or a homophobe - not in the least. I'm just speaking in general terms. And my roommate my freshman year of college was gay.

Wait wait.. rep him back up, he and I give each other shit all the time - he was just joking.

Also, I think I'm done in this thread. I really just came to make one point and I don't see it going good places if this continues.

^ ok, done.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Bad rep for having a different opinion?

I still stand by it, I don't mind if they're here as long as they keep it to themselves.

I'm not some backwards bigot. There's enough high school drama in the enlisted ranks as is, we don't need to add this to the equation.

BigRed389

None
I've not served, but for those who have: don't you know everyones orientation anyway? I mean, how can you serve with these people and not know? I get the feeling that the politicians just want everyone outside of the unit to know too.

There are about 4 or so I serve with that people aren't too sure about.

It's possible.

Not a big deal, but definitely happens.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator

I have some black friends... can't wait for the chance to throw out some stereotypes since partying with them has incocculated me from charges of racism.

BigRed389

None
Also, gays/lesbians have standards, too. I have no idea where most men get off thinking that "OH GOD IT'S A GAY, HE WANTS TO TOUCH ME!" because they might look at you and be disgusted.

Cruise and the resulting celibacy could make almost anybody look doable.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Cruise and the resulting celibacy could make almost anybody look doable.

Yea, so I've heard. My dad told me that he was on one of the first cruises (Eisenhower or Kennedy?) when they integrated women onto ships and there was a nearly 40% pregnancy rate by the end of cruise and that they were busting women coming off the ship with thousands in cash from turning tricks.

And then there was that guy on the documentary "Carrier". You know, that shit-hot E-6 that got busted for humping that complete and utter butter-troll. Poor bastard.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com/

I dont really get the leering thing that has been brought up. Wouldnt that fall under sexual harassment? Aaaand now that i type that i can see those accusations being abused by the homophobic....

Well with the way societal norms are headed I dont think this is so much a matter of 'if' but 'when' and of course 'how well' it will be handled by the powers that be.

Rg9

pilot
<snark>
I'm still wondering how the military is dealing with women and blacks serving aboard ships and side-by-side with "regular" men.
</snark>
Perhaps it has to do w/ my lack of understanding of "snark", but how in the world can you equate women w/ minorities on this issue? The two are completely separate issues. One has to do with physical, natural differences in physical ability, psychology, physiology, etc., the other has to do w/ external skin color. They should never be listed together, IMHO.

So do you find it tough to work around straight women, being as they may find you attractive and you have to question their motives?
Yes, but not to the same extreme. For one, male sexual nature is much more physical/visual (vice relational for women), both straight and gay (as MB has hit on, and said very well, I might add). And, besides, we have separate berthing/heads/etc. for men and women. Should we do this for gays too?

And to the sexual attraction, I don't think it was a good idea to put women in any kind of combat position (including on ships). Not that they can't do it, but because it is mixed sexes in tight quarters (in addition to all the problems mixed sexes in combat causes).

MrSaturn

Contributor
... but...should we then give them their own drinking fountains, seats in the back of the bus, a segregated section of restaurants, and separate schools, too?

Are there any laws equivalent to the Jim Crow laws for homosexuals? Can you spot homosexuals walking down the street with the same ease as the color of someone's skin? If homosexuality is a minority do they deserve to be included in affirmative action?

I am leery to compare the atrocities committed against homosexuals in this country to those during the time of the African-American civil rights movement. Might as well compare a nuke to a firecracker, a semi-truck to a scooter....

PH2005101301791.jpg

or

gay_march1_wideweb__430x334.jpg

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
This thread is a bit disturbing because it brought up this ad...
imgad

I didn't want to click it and find out what a "Real Jock" was...:(

It's OK, members of Real Jock probably have banners baseops.net or something. It's a vicious cycle.

Get past whatever makes that person different and judge thier character; that should be the only discrimination taking place. Everybody has assholes and everybody has thier all-stars.

I couldn't agree more with that statement. I think the big military is more worried about whether someone will fit into the military mold or be a distraction, something I don't think is a military-only problem. The military needs a certain type of person, plain and simple. Chances are, the gays in the military already fit that mold to a pretty good extent, much like, for the most part, men and women who sign up for the same reason and fulfill their duties equally; however different, or the same, those duties may be. In the grand scheme, they're not being targeted because they're gay. They're being targeted because they act differently (the whole proud in your face to be gay) and keep you from completing your job. The ones who don't integrate seamlessly and nobody gives a hoot what they insert into themselves. Take MB's instance, for example. How much of a distraction was it to be guarding your six 24/7? If the dude treated his gayness like a sixth finger or something, like "oh that's just my sixth finger there's nothing I can do about it let's just forget about it and not bring it up and I won't poke you with it.", then I'm sure there would be no problem. It sounds in poor taste to trivialize it like that, but that's really all it is. Keep your whatever to yourself and fit in so you and everyone else can do the job. The military isn't the same as some job where you can wear a rainbow sweater. If people are distracted, they could get killed.

MB, no disrespect, but...should we then give them their own drinking fountains, seats in the back of the bus, a segregated section of restaurants, and separate schools, too?

It always cracks me up when someone compares an extreme that will never happen to something that happened to a completely different subject in a completely different time. Did you know that the Babylonians could sentence you to death for bad behavior in a bar? Pre-civil rights movement treatments of people were an incredibly wrong action for our country to take. Did we learn from them? Yes, that's what mistakes are for. To compare the two is ludicrous. Especially when the only right gays don't have is the right to get married, and now they can. That's it! They can get the same jobs, paycheck, house, whatever. I don't understand what they're whining about all the time. The only time people think differently about gays are when they hold parades wearing nothing but leather chaps and a dick. I don't want to see it, nobody else wants to see it. THAT'S where intolerance comes from. Half the time it's their own doing. They need to realize that pretty much nobody cares about what they sit on except them.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I am leery to compare the atrocities committed against homosexuals in this country to those during the time of the African-American civil rights movement. Might as well compare a nuke to a firecracker, a semi-truck to a scooter....
I'm not sure I am understand correctly what you are trying to say, but if I am, I think Mathew Shepard, for one, would beg to differ. Well, he would if he hadn't had is head beaten in with a pistol and then been left, tied to a fence post in the middle of nowhere, to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.