• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Homosexuals in Military

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

None
and going on cruise will be such fun.....

boatbathzp7.jpg

Hows that saying go again?

"Its not gay if your underway"

Redux

Don't know, don't care I've been retired since 91. :p Thing is, I would NOT want blood from a homosexual man. I assume they still do transfusions aboard ship for emergencies.

I don't care if one is a homosexual or not but I might have a problem taking orders from one since they have the basic of the basics fvcked up. Otherwise I don't care.

I did have a pretty hard core lesbian working for me years ago, good worker no problem. Neat thing is I got to be buddies with her inner circle of friends, "Truth or Dare" was GREAT! :D I doubt I converted anybody but it worked well for me. ;)

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
All due respect again but..not every gay man is a limp-wristed drama queen. I have met gay men that would beat most grown men's asses. Bodybuilder types, guys who are 6'5" and could bench you*2 just for fun.

That's right. Have you ever seen "The Wire"? Omar was the shit.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know, don't care I've been retired since 91. :p Thing is, I would NOT want blood from a homosexual man. I assume they still do transfusions aboard ship for emergencies.

I don't care if one is a homosexual or not but I might have a problem taking orders from one since they have the basic of the basics fvcked up. Otherwise I don't care.

I did have a pretty hard core lesbian working for me years ago, good worker no problem. Neat thing is I got to be buddies with her inner circle of friends, "Truth or Dare" was GREAT! :D I doubt I converted anybody but it worked well for me. ;)

That raises an interesting question. Does the military follow the Red Cross's rules for blood donation? I know males who have sex with other males are excluded under those guidelines, but so are many other people. Because of my spring break plans, for example, I was prohibited from donating for a year because I was in malaria risk regions. If the military follows the Red Cross's rules, then someone being gay isn't the worst thing in a combat situation since there are likely tons of other personnel who would be otherwise ineligible to donate.

phrogpilot73

With regards to the blood donations, we have annual HIV tests - which I assume would mean we aren't eligible to give blood if positive.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that none of y'all will get my blood either. I'm pretty sure testing positive for TB rules me out for that one.

HercDriver put it best. If the policy changes, you're either going to say "yes sir" and carry it out, you're going to resign or you're going to retire. It's pointless to debate it.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I think they put the blood through some screening tests as well just to make sure. Whether or not you can do that on board ship or not, I have no idea.
I understand that the blood is screened, but the pre-donation disqualification based on where you have traveled, sexuality, etc is all honor system, yes? I don't know about the ship either. They tried to send Hercs to the ship but apparently 15ft clearance from the bridge made some people nervous...

Kinda a rhetorical question I guess since if you are lying and no one is standing there to call you out no one is going to know the difference.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
For clarification:
In my opinion, gay issues of today are trivial compared to those that faced the African American community during the period of the Jim Crow laws.
What difference does that make? So should I downplay the era of Jim Crow laws with saying that sitting at the back of the bus or getting sprayed with a fire hose is no where near as bad as what homosexuals endured at the hands of the Nazis?
Wikipedia said:
Between 1933-45, more than 100,000 men were registered by police as homosexuals ("Rosa Listen" or "Pink List"), and of these, some 50,000 were officially sentenced. Most of these men spent time in regular prisons, and an estimated 5,000 to 15,000 of the total sentenced were incarcerated in concentration camps. It is unclear how many of these 5,000 to 15,000 eventually perished in the concentration camps. The leading scholar Ruediger Lautman however believes that the death rate in concentration camps of imprisoned homosexuals may have been as high as 60%.
When you downplay what one group has gone through by bringing up something another had it is kind of silly, as they should be looked at individually. It is like that Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" skit:
TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."
EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.
GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
No, what's silly is comparing the "plight" of gays in this country (which revolves around our country not accepting thier behaviour) to the plight of African-Americans in this country (which revolved around no accepting thier humanity)...

P.S. I'm not gonna weigh in on whether the holocaust trumps slavery or vice versa...

Redux

No, what's silly is comparing the "plight" of gays in this country (which revolves around our country not accepting thier behaviour) to the plight of African-Americans in this country (which revolved around no accepting thier humanity)...

P.S. I'm not gonna weigh in on whether the holocaust trumps slavery or vice versa...

Now THAT has the makings of an interesting thread. :eek:

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Status
Not open for further replies.