• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Homosexuals in Military

Status
Not open for further replies.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
No, what's silly is comparing the "plight" of gays in this country (which revolves around our country not accepting thier behaviour) to the plight of African-Americans in this country (which revolved around no accepting thier humanity)...
I guess you can parse it any way you want... gays are/were persecuted for who they are (which leads to their behavior), and African-Americans are/were persecuted for who they are, as well.

BTW: "Behaviour"??? What are you, some frustrated anglophile?:D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
sorry Herc...that makes no sense at all....that the persecution of gays LEADS to their behavior??

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
This whole hierarchy of suffering is so odd. So what if more AAs suffered, or if the avarege level of suffering was more horrific? More Jews were killed in WWII than AAs in the 50s and 60s, and what was done to them was generally more horrific. Does that somehow negate the suffering of AAs? Or make it any less noteworthy? Jeffrey Dahmer did far worse things to his victims than the Manson family, so Sharon Tate's family should suck it up?? I can not understand the reasoning for ever bringing up arguments about who suffered more/worse. If we rank the plight (no condescending quotes) of gays lower than others, does that somehow make it easier to dismiss, or make us feel better about condoning it? Because that's the only real reason I can think of for making this kind of comparison.

I can concede that other groups have suffered worse abuse than the GLTB community. So what? I reallly don't understand what those who bring this up are trying to get at. I'm not being intentioanlly obtuse; I just don't understand what the argument is.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
sorry Herc...that makes no sense at all.
Most of my posts do not. :icon_tong

Raptor said they the two groups should not be compared because one was persecuted for their behaviour and one for who they are.

I think that is just parsing why they are/were persecuted (not that it matters); I think they are/were both persecuted for who they are, not just African Americans.

Really, I think it is a red herring... does the GBLT community suffer persecution? Sure. Whether it is more or less than others is meaningless; just whether you think the level of persecution is acceptable.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I think that this thread has run its course. Again.

See you for another round of "should gays be allowed to serve" in about 2 months.

Right after the next "women in combat" argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.