• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

heads up

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The Navy's shining example of physical fitness is probably a 6'3" 185 pound marathon runner who can't bench press his own weight. But man can he run.

Why you gotta call me out like that?

Besides, with my waif-like figure: the Nav loves me and the chicks dig my tiny toothpick arms. :D

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
You may look sharp in uniform and you may be a PT stud, but if you can't relate to and effectively lead your people what good are you.

I wish that sentiment was echoed a lot more in some commissioning sources. PT is great - PT is important... but all too many times I see a lot of MIDN get shit on for not having outstanding's on their PRTs. It should be a priority, but over half the time it seems like it's the only priority. I'll never run a 9:00 mile.5, but I'll max out the other two and take home my excellent medium. I'm not condoning nastiness, but the yut-based kool-aid can shove it, IMO. I don't care if you have a 300... if you're a douche, you're a douche.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There may be bad leaders who run perfect scores, but if you're not passing the run, you aren't going to be a good leader. It's not as if they're asking you to win the World Track and Field Championships. Part of being a good leader is setting an example, and if you can't pass the bare minimum, you ain't doing it. Maybe you are a great soul, and the next Lord and Saviour of our Republic, but a leader in the Green or Blue gun club you're not. Slim down and speed up and maybe you'll be in there.

BTW, the chip trail is ghey. The cross country API PRT course was worse--start and finish on chips, hit a trail and a couple small hills along the way, plus 100 yards of sand in the middle....plus it was always 99 degrees, 6" of snow, and uphill both ways!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Animal fries!!!

Carne asada fries!

326948630_22afb79d7f.jpg

A southern California delicacy.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Ok so here's my suggestion: I notice that I for some reason push myself significantly harder at the McGuire's Tuesday 5k's. Now, to anybody in the field of Naval Aviation, the reason for that is obvious. So I have to ask...why the hell don't we employ those motivation techniques on the PRT?

That's right, I'm saying if you put beer at the end of the PRT, scores would shoot up exponentially Navy-wide. What are we waiting for here? It's a scientific fact - you run faster when you're running towards beer. It's just like gravity...or something.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I also remember significantly more good looking girls running the 5k. The correlation here is that if we could get significantly more attractive females to run the PRT with us, we'd do exponentially better.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I also remember significantly more good looking girls running the 5k. The correlation here is that if we could get significantly more attractive females to run the PRT with us, we'd do exponentially better.

This is a good point. So then...beer at the finish line + hot runner girls for pacers = outstanding PRT scores all around. It can't get much simpler.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There is a distinct difference between someone who is in shape, within standards but doesn't max out the PFA....and someone who cannot get sat-medium in all 3 categories, particularly coming straight from a commissioning source. I'm sorry, but when you can't do 50 situps, 42 pushups, and run 1.5 miles in 13:15 (sat-med for 20-24 year old men), particularly with the way reps are counted, you are out of shape. I don't care what you can lift at the gym, those scores are not hard to attain.

As far as fitness translating to leadership...someone who is out of standards is not setting the right example, simple as that. Guys who think that PT is important are going to think you're a shitbag, and guys who think that PT isn't important are going to use you as an excuse to be lazy. Sure you can make up for it in other ways, but why start from behind?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Guys who think that PT is important are going to think you're a shitbag, and guys who think that PT isn't important are going to use you as an excuse to be lazy. Sure you can make up for it in other ways, but why start from behind?

Exactly. Oftentimes PT is the first impression one is able to make. Why not use that to your advantage?

S.O.B.

pilot
BTW, the chip trail is ghey. The cross country API PRT course was worse--start and finish on chips, hit a trail and a couple small hills along the way, plus 100 yards of sand in the middle....plus it was always 99 degrees, 6" of snow, and uphill both ways!

I thought that was the chip trail. There's something new?

FlyinRock

The common point many are making in this thread seems to be scores? How about saving your ass? How important is that to you personally? I did not like to do a lot of PT but understood how critcal it could be and how fast. Problem was how/where I learned it?
Would be great to be a young stud again with my life ahead of me instead of being an old fart and watching the end of the tunnel fast approaching. Still, even in my 70's, I make an effort to stay in some kind of reasonable physical condition with regular workouts in Aikido, fast walking, doing stomach exercises like pushing myself away from the table, paying attention to what I ingest and in what quantity.
It distresses me when I see the occasional IFS student come in who has no idea how important a good physical condition is to not only training, but their lives in general. It shows in their performances and they are likely to be slugs.
I was never impressed with "leaders" who did so by dictate, or who rode some form of transport besides their legs/feet. My own conscience tells me to lead by being up there in the pack someplace. The last marathon I ran I was dead last but I finished and that was my personal score. Had nothing to do with anyone/anything else. And when I felt like I was going down to my knees, I kept telling myself "If the fuckers catch me it ain't going to be fun...."
Personal fitness is mandatory if you choose to be a successful military aviator regardless of branch. The fact that my background is USMC has little to do with that statement. OooRahh.
If you are under 60, there is zero reason not to be in good physical condition and if you are active military is is mandatory.
Damn, now I have to go out and run up and down some hills....fauuuck

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I'm sorry, but when you can't do 50 situps, 42 pushups, and run 1.5 miles in 13:15 (sat-med for 20-24 year old men), particularly with the way reps are counted, you are out of shape.

Even if you are 25 a 13:15 will still get you a pink sheet at api. When I was there age didn't matter it was just 12 min or less which is not a difficult standard anywhere but on that chip trail. But thats the standard so if you can't make it you better start running.