• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

heads up

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
You can have fun tomorrow with PT. I'll be watching the Super Bowl. With cold beverage in hand.

Seconded.

People are getting too hyped up over this for me. What ever happened to just enjoying competition and being athletic?

utak

Hmmmm . . . . will A-Pool needs to shout out "Hooyah" when one of the Petty Officer Aircrew Instructors come out?

SkywardET

Contrarian
5. When you get to your fleet squadrons you will have a much greater impact on junior Sailors than you may now realize. They will walk like you, talk like you and dress like you. I'm not a PT nazi or a uniform nazi, but it is very very important for you as an officer and leader to be beyond reproach. Does this mean a zero defect mentality? No, but you ought to be shooting for that.
I don't know about the walking and talking like you part, but I will say that physical fitness is an important quality in officers from the perspective of an enlisted person. If an officer is overtly out of standards, it has a direct impact on the authority they command and the respect they receive. Personnel will still obey orders, but it will be because that officer ordered it and not necessarily because that officer wanted it done. That is a subtle but very important difference.

Also, if you are out of standards, that's one of the first decriptors used between enlisted personnel. "CSO wants to see you." "What does that fatass want now?" No mercy for the weak.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, if you are out of standards, that's one of the first decriptors used between enlisted personnel. "CSO wants to see you." "What does that fatass want now?" No mercy for the weak.

Well...yeah...kinda. The key to being a respected leader of men is to be good at your job, stick up for the troops when they need it and get the job done with a minimum of bullshit. Sure, being in good condition is a part of that. You can be the most high-speed ripped motherfucker of all time, but if you're an asshole, the troops will know that too.
"CSO wants to see you."
"What does that 'roided-out tool want now?"

And by the way, the Navy PRT ain't fucking hard. If my stumpy ass can pass it, you got no excuse. Hit the treadmill once in a while.

FlyinRock

Well...yeah...kinda. The key to being a respected leader of men is to be good at your job, stick up for the troops when they need it and get the job done with a minimum of bullshit. Sure, being in good condition is a part of that. You can be the most high-speed ripped motherfucker of all time, but if you're an asshole, the troops will know that too.
"CSO wants to see you."
"What does that 'roided-out tool want now?"

And by the way, the Navy PRT ain't fucking hard. If my stumpy ass can pass it, you got no excuse. Hit the treadmill once in a while.
AMEN
I've seen more than a few young officers who thought they had it wired because they had rank on the enlisted. Much to their later distress and surprise, many of the enlisted were a lot smarter and certainly more mature than they. Geeez, lemme edit that and say I've seen far too many senior officers who fell into that same pit.
If you want respect from your juniors, and SENIORS, EARN IT. You can demand it from juniors but will get hammered by your seniors. In either case you ain't got jack shit and will be treated that way, up or down.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I don't know about the walking and talking like you part, but I will say that physical fitness is an important quality in officers from the perspective of an enlisted person. If an officer is overtly out of standards, it has a direct impact on the authority they command and the respect they receive. Personnel will still obey orders, but it will be because that officer ordered it and not necessarily because that officer wanted it done. That is a subtle but very important difference.

Sure works that way on the Marine enlisted side. It's hard to lead from the rear, especially if you are sucking wind so bad you can barely talk.

Like Fester said there is a lot more to leadership than just being in shape but being in shape is a good start.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Sure works that way on the Marine enlisted side. It's hard to lead from the rear, especially if you are sucking wind so bad you can barely talk.

Like Fester said there is a lot more to leadership than just being in shape but being in shape is a good start.

I can agree with this... I started PT'ing with the E-dogs on M/W/F last fall when I was stashed in OPS at 30. I enjoyed playing ultimate frisbee and running around at 0700 in the cold but realized, quickly, I was a bit out of shape. And believe me, they noticed. I quit smoking (mostly), ran more, and the smartass comments went away after a few games...they notice the improvements as well. The PRT isn't the only place they see you...

On a side note, why don't more of the O's PT with their shop? I was the only guy out there with a blue sticker on my car, and I was just one of many O's in my shop...the E's notice THAT as well...

winded.jpg

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I can agree with this... I started PT'ing with the E-dogs on M/W/F last fall when I was stashed in OPS at 30. I enjoyed playing ultimate frisbee and running around at 0700 in the cold but realized, quickly, I was a bit out of shape. And believe me, they noticed. I quit smoking (mostly), ran more, and the smartass comments went away after a few games...they notice the improvements as well. The PRT isn't the only place they see you...

Yes Sir...and as you learned, you don't have to be a PT stud to earn their respect. Sometimes it's enough that they know you are working hard to improve. That said, sometimes working to improve isn't enough. At the end of the day you have to make it to the fight to lead them.

I served under a Weapons Plt Commander with 1/4 who just could not keep up with his platoon on morning runs. He almost always ended up falling out. Or in his words "running in the rear of the formation just in case there are run drops". Of course he never fooled anyone. He sucked at pull ups too.

This Lt was a sharp guy but was only with us for a short time. Ended up at S2 I think. Round peg in round hole.

To this day I have no idea how he got thru OCS and TBS. He was the only officer I ever saw who couldn't hang.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Yes Sir...and as you learned, you don't have to be a PT stud to earn their respect. Sometimes it's enough that they know you are working hard to improve. That said, sometimes working to improve isn't enough. At the end of the day you have to make it to the fight to lead them.

Hey, in my defense, I am giving up 10 years of age on those JE guys...I'm not gonna be the 8:20 max PRT guy...I just don't want the 45-year old Senior Chief passing me sprinting for the frisbee...:D