• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

Gardito85

FY-10 STA-21 Applicant
Sta-21

Sup guys,
Name's Gardo, I'm a nuke MM on a boat out in HI and this is my first time applying for STA-21. I'm putting in for pilot because I've always wanted to do it and secondly nobody on my boat thinks I'll get picked up 'cause I'm a nuke, so fuck 'em.

I'm about ready to send my stuff in. Just got all of my scores back. 26math/30english ACT, 6/7/7/55 ASTB. I think I can do better on the ASTB but i'm too scared to get something less on it next time.

Anyway, just saying whats up. I'm new to this but I am almost done so if anyone has questions PM me.

-Gardo

P.S. Also if anyone has any advice on how to polish up a package a lil' bit I'll take all of the advice I can get. Thanks.

carmanatti

Wannabe with potential
You've got just as much chance as any of us. probably more, considering how selective the nuke program is (or so my recruiter told me, trying to get me to change rates)

the only thing i could offer is i was told to get a pilot as a mentor. idk how many are stationed on your ship (im guessing 50/50 chance, carrier or sub?) alot of people say it helps in setting up your boards and reviewing your package, as well as heads up on what squadron life is like. kind of like this website, only in person. another bit of info is persistance. one pilot told me most get picked up on thier 2nd or 3rd try, because if you submit it more than once, it shows it's not just a passing idea, you really are commited to it, and you wont take "no" for an answer.

good luck, and hope you get picked up. im in the same boat. wanted to do this since i learned to walk, so the only way im giving up on this is if a doctor says no or i get too old to be eligible.

LAX89

a lil extra...

Hi everyone, I am working on my package for FY-10, intel option. Ive been doing so for about two months now. Im still young, ive only been in the navy for about a year and a half and I feel like my package is weak for the simple reason of not having enough. Im extremely involved in the command taking leadership roles as much as I can being the most junior, have 4.0 college gpa right now, 4.28 in high school, so im definately okay in that respect. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to stand out a little more since I have such little experience. Right now the only extra element I really have is a very strong Letter or recommendation from my high school history teacher, who is a retired captain.

SubmarineWife

Guys-don't underestimate the power of community service. My husband, who was picked up twice (longggg story) was told at all boards that they liked that he was well rounded. He had tons of collateral duty at work, going to college full-time and was involved in service in our community at several levels. So, I guess my recommendation is to make sure that you are a well rounded applicatant. LAX89: good for you for applying so early. Even if you aren't picked up the first time, persistence will pay off!

Gardito85

FY-10 STA-21 Applicant
I hear you there carmanatti. I'm gonna keep shitting these packages until I get out or get old. I wish I had started sending them in earlier but I think this year I have a pretty strong package. Best of luck to you and if not FY10 theres always 11...and 12...and 13...

53Crewman

FY09 STA-21 Pilot Alternate
This site is a great source for information on the STA-21 program.

But as with anything else in life, find your answers at the route of origin before going off of gouge.

Just browsing through this thread alone, I have found many misleading remarks along with deadline dates that must have been pulled off of google.

Read the instruction, follow it word for word and through attention to detail and perseverance, you will earn a commissioning into the United States Navy.

I'm a third time applicant for FY10 and will not stop until selected. In my opinion, there is not a better program out there for young sailors.

Good luck to all.

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
The Package Deadline error was my bad, I accidently typed June instead of July. Correct info...Post mark NLT 01 July, additional documents can be added until 01 Aug of the application cycle. It wasnt from Google though, just me being tired, sorry. Here is a link to the STA-21 page with the info.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/app.html

mk21_diver

FY-10 Medical Corps Applicant

Hello to all. I'd first like to thank this forum for allowing non air related rates to participate(I'm an ND). This is by far the most informative and professional forum for STA-21 information I have found. I am currently working on my FY-10 package as I have been for the past year. I am applying to the Medical Corps option and understand that the odds are against me. So far this is where I'm at: 43 credit hours complete(3.8 GPA), Calculus 1 & 2 complete, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society Member, 25 Math/25 English ACT scores, Emergency Medical Technician-Basic(Nationally Registered), submitting evals from oldest to newest: MP, MP, EP, EP, MP(most recent MP clearly states that I should have gotten an EP), volunteer time at local hospital ER, 400 hours of combined shadow time under a naval doctor and a civilian doctor, significant collateral duties, 5 LOR's, an OIC(CWO4), a CMC, an LT Physicians Assistant(Ret), the LT Naval doctor I shadowed, and the civilian doctor, a live combat casualty course where I treated traumatic injuries on sedated pigs and essentially got to do an autopsy on one of them, one NAM, a Good Conduct, GWOT, a thank you letter from the hospital I volunteered at, 3 sailor of the quarter awards, and a couple LOA's from admirals. I think thats it. Any way to my question, does anyone know any of the previously selected medical corps applicants? I know there has only been 4 but I'm hopeful. I know that I'm missing an LOR from a senior officer, which I hope to have soon. Aside from that I'm dumbfounded as to what else I can do. As I said I've been working on my package for a year and planning it for 2-3. I can't think of anything else to add to my package or anything else I can do to help it. Any info/comments would be greatly appreciated.

mk21_diver

Use it

Here's a question, my father was a prior CO, can I use him as a reference or in any other way in any aspect of STA-21, whether it be pertaining to the package itself or going to a school??

I'd recommend getting an LOR from him. It can't hurt. If they don't like it they will look over it. If they do like it you have an LOR from a CO, thats big points.

Gardito85

FY-10 STA-21 Applicant
mk21 diver,

Everywhere you look always says that the most important part of you package is you CO's letter and your personal statement. Senior officer letters are good but everything i've read about them suggests that they are more to "set you aside from the pack" vice putting you in to the pack at all; saying that I still recommend it.

Anyway, make sure you impress the shit out of your CO and establish a good relationship with him, judging by your evals you should have that. Also make sure you impress the hell out of your nomination review board members. If you read the instruction it says this is also weighted heavily, and if you can, try to get your interview with someone in your desired field; i.e. doctors.

When it comes to your personal letter, type it up and give it to your wardroom, officers are usually pretty good at proofreading and polishing.

All that being said make sure you read the STA instruction. The whole thing...more than once. Nothing would be more tragic than to put all that time into your package and get tossed because the officers in your board didn't put their designators on the sheet or some other stupid reason.

This is my first year applying so I don't know all that much but I did submit my package and it has been recieved so if you have any questions on putting it together, shoot.

-Gardo

mk21_diver

mk21 diver,

Everywhere you look always says that the most important part of you package is you CO's letter and your personal statement. Senior officer letters are good but everything i've read about them suggests that they are more to "set you aside from the pack" vice putting you in to the pack at all; saying that I still recommend it.

Anyway, make sure you impress the shit out of your CO and establish a good relationship with him, judging by your evals you should have that. Also make sure you impress the hell out of your nomination review board members. If you read the instruction it says this is also weighted heavily, and if you can, try to get your interview with someone in your desired field; i.e. doctors.

When it comes to your personal letter, type it up and give it to your wardroom, officers are usually pretty good at proofreading and polishing.

All that being said make sure you read the STA instruction. The whole thing...more than once. Nothing would be more tragic than to put all that time into your package and get tossed because the officers in your board didn't put their designators on the sheet or some other stupid reason.

This is my first year applying so I don't know all that much but I did submit my package and it has been recieved so if you have any questions on putting it together, shoot.

-Gardo

Thanks for the input, I'll be in touch with questions should any arise.

mk21_diver

Med Corps Stats

Hello all, I am applying for the FY10 STA-21 program and I have a couple of questions. I believe that this is primarily a flight officer site but considering its the most useful and helpful, I thought I would try asking questions here. I want to put in for Med Corp and was wondering if anyone had the stats from the previous years of applications. Also, I have LOR's from 2 Army Majors, one from a Master Chief, and one from a Chief. I also have the capability of getting one from a retired Colonel in the Airforce. Is it bad that I don't have any Naval officer LOR's? Honestly my time in the Navy is little and I have not had very much interaction with any Naval Officers.

I emailed the STA-21 staff and asked the same question (stats on past med corps apps). The only thing they would tell me is that 88 qualified applicants applied and that 2 were selected last year. That is a 2.27% chance of making it. So you and I have our work cut out for us. So far there has only bee four people selected to the med corps option. Again to anyone reading this I'm trying to find anyone who knows any of them. I'm trying to find out what made them stand out. As far as the LOR's go Brian, I would not include the chief, include the master chief only if he he is a CMC/COB or FMC. Any LOR's from officers are good, obviously Naval Officers would be better, but take what you can get, it can't hurt you. A good way to get LOR's from people you don't know at all is to go to where some more senior officers work, ask around as to who is personable, give them a copy of your package, explain what your doing, your intentions as an officer, why you'd be a good officer, and ask if they'll endorse you. Definitely offer to write the LOR for them, then give it to then electronically so they may change it as they see fit. Hope I helped.

brian_burrows

1st Timer FY10
Thanks

I emailed the STA-21 staff and asked the same question (stats on past med corps apps). The only thing they would tell me is that 88 qualified applicants applied and that 2 were selected last year. That is a 2.27% chance of making it. So you and I have our work cut out for us. So far there has only bee four people selected to the med corps option. Again to anyone reading this I'm trying to find anyone who knows any of them. I'm trying to find out what made them stand out. As far as the LOR's go Brian, I would not include the chief, include the master chief only if he he is a CMC/COB or FMC. Any LOR's from officers are good, obviously Naval Officers would be better, but take what you can get, it can't hurt you. A good way to get LOR's from people you don't know at all is to go to where some more senior officers work, ask around as to who is personable, give them a copy of your package, explain what your doing, your intentions as an officer, why you'd be a good officer, and ask if they'll endorse you. Definitely offer to write the LOR for them, then give it to then electronically so they may change it as they see fit. Hope I helped.

Hey thanks for that info! To tell you the truth when I read your info I just about shat my pants. You have a lot going for you. How long have you been in the Navy? The sheer amount of hours you have in shadowing and volunteering is pretty much amazing. Are you nationally registered? I also am EMT-B certified but I'm having a hard time finding pt. contact hours.

mk21_diver

Hey thanks for that info! To tell you the truth when I read your info I just about shat my pants. You have a lot going for you. How long have you been in the Navy? The sheer amount of hours you have in shadowing and volunteering is pretty much amazing. Are you nationally registered? I also am EMT-B certified but I'm having a hard time finding pt. contact hours.

I've been in 5 years. I've put a ton of time into my package, thanks for the complement. Hopefully the board members will agree, and shat their pants! I am nationally registered but it lapses in march. I'm not to concerned with that though. I think that fact that I have that in my past is enough; I haven't had time to get reregistered.

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
New to STA 21

The only thing keeping me in rate as an 1136 FC (TTWCS Tech) Was the large SRB, which, as most know, srb's are currently a thing of the past, especially since my reenlistment would be at the beginning of FY-2010. I am currently enrolled in AMU under the Space Studies BS program. I am an E-5 with 3.5 years in and a late bloomer to STA-21 since I am finally free from the confinement of cash incentives. I have only started my STA-21 package a few weeks ago and am very aware of the fact that I am behind the power curve, but don't want to lose the oppurtunity to portray my interest. I plan on submitting a package each year until I am picked up, but was wondering-
what is the latest anyone has submitted an application and been approved ?
Also, I was recently prescribed glasses( a very light prescription) for an odd vision test I had trouble with during my Explosive Handlers Physical and when seeing a civilian optometrist, was told that I had 20/20 vision. I have a strong interest in the Pilot program and was wondering if lasik was an option or if I could retake the eye exam to meet the the criteria for the program. My glasses only slightly better my already near perfect vision, I think I just chose to test with the wrong technician on the wrong day.