• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

SandSailor

It isn't bad that you don't have a LOR from a navy officer, but it sure doesn't help.

A good Idea would be to volunteer at the local naval medical facility on saterdays or something like that and "job shadow" a Navy medical officer. You can probably get a really good recommendation by doing that. A friend of mine that went for medical last year got a recommendation by doing that and he was selected.

Just remember LOR will only get you so far, make sure you have a rock solid personal statement! That is by far the most important thing you can work on.

Also an IA or GSA billet really helps too! Been there done that and I was selected, I think it made up for not having been on a ship and being able to earn the ESW pin

Good luck!

NavyNukeNFO

FY09 NFO Selectee...turned FY12 CHOP
LOR's ?

Honestly man...if you havent been in long and you are bringing LOR's from chiefs and masterchiefs and other branches?..this is a NAVY OFFICER program. I am sure that they respect Chiefs and all...lord knows I do..BUT this is something totally different. You need to get great evals...bust your ass and TAKE COLLEGE CLASSES. Honestly I mean every single thing that your package entails is important and you can work on everysingle part of it in some way. ACT, College Classes, Qualifications, Volunteer Hours, LEADERSHIP Positions, and the personal statement and CO rec is HUGE! I would say those are the two biggest but wont carry you only on those. Practice your interviews with officers and be confident. If you ever want to talk on the phone or anything you can PM me and I will give you my cell number. I was a alternate last year for CEC...which I believe is the hardest to get selected for, besides Spec Ops maybe...and this year a NFO select. I think i had a great package and felt really good about this year. Just another option to help you out that I wanted to throw out there.

NukeRobot

Excel Jedi
pilot
Hello. I'd like to offer some lessons I learned from my experience to-date. First, don't count on STA-21 being an automatic-in for most colleges (The Citadel and SUNY Maritime excepted). One of the other benefits of taking college classes is that if you have a poor GPA and joined the Navy because you dropped out of college (I'm looking at you, nukes), it should raise your average GPA to make you a better candidate for college. [Especially be mindful of the "minimum GPA" requirements for various colleges, as this seems to be a hard floor that the NROTC recruiters cannot do anything about.] Its best to get your college applications done early, because if you get accepted to college and not to STA-21, you may be able to defer your enrollment at college, AND the next time you go up for STA-21 you'll be able to add the acceptance letter to your package (can't guarantee it'll help, but it sure as hell can't hurt).

I may have been lucky, but I did not have too much of a hassle with medical, EXCEPT that I acquiesced to the HM who was handling my paperwork when he said he was sending it to NOMI. Make sure it goes to Ed and the STA-21 people FIRST, even though the guys at Medical might disagree. If nothing else, get a copy yourself so you can send it in.

My test scores were ASTB 8/7/7 and 34 Composite ACT. I've only been in the Navy for a little less than 2 years, and I was picked up first-time for Pilot. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't or that you're not good enough to do this program.

Good luck, and I hope to see you guys in college and the fleet.

Jumbodog

fy10

Alternate last year, reapplying this year

Does anyone know the list of colleges that automatically accept STA-21 cadidates?

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
The Citadel and SUNY Maritime are the only two I know of that are auto acceptance, but UCSD and SDSU will work with you to get you accepted if at all possible. They want OC's and are willing to help you out. They didnt accept a chunk of my credits though so I had to change my major.

brian_burrows

1st Timer FY10
Alright I would like to know how I stand. If you guys have some time, will you please look over my personal statement and let me know what you think. Also I would like to know where I stand as for chances. I know a lot depends on boards and CO rec but I want to know if I need to kick it up more than I already have. I have 3 LOR's, 2 from officers. I have around 50 credits (most will be transferrable) and I have my Associates Degree in Russian. I have around 120 hours of volunteer service and over 80 hours of leading my division in one aspect or another.

Attachments

• Burrows_Personal_Statement-Fraizer_revision_complete.doc
    27 KB · Views: 106

haubby

None
Contributor
80 hours of leading your division? The Medical Corps option is very hard to get. It's only been an option for two years and a total of four people have been selected for it. I'd definitely apply for it but make sure you understand the that not alot of people get selected for it. And I wouldn't put in your package the total hours you've "led" your division either. Just sounds weird.

carmanatti

Wannabe with potential
I just had quite the one-sided debate with my CCC and my LPO, i was just curious.

How far is everyone else on their package? workup schedule has me behind a little on the ACT/ASTB side, but everything else is ready to go (other than personal statement and interviews, what else is there that would take 3 months to complete?) Am I "too late" to submit my package this year? or is my LPO just trying to keep his shop full for another year?

brian_burrows

1st Timer FY10
too late

IAm I "too late" to submit my package this year? or is my LPO just trying to keep his shop full for another year?

You are far from being too late. My hasn't even given out a timeline for FY10! But according to last years the final package had to be submitted to CoC by end may early june

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
the Post mark cutoff date for submission of a STA-21 package is June 1st and addendums can be submitted up July 1, it was extended to Aug 1st last year becuase of the suspension of the SAT/ACT exams by base facilities.