• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I got picked up for STA-21/NFO with a 7/6/5 and 58... you should be fine... Take it again for peace of mind if you want..

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
Vision

Yes! Had my vision test today, 20/20 without corrective lenses... I knew I was fine and occupational health was just crazy for making me wear glasses! HUGE relief!..

xtreme_rob

LORs

How much significance does an LOR from a Congressman hold?
How about an Air Force COL(Ret) pilot?

haubby

None
Contributor

Seems like your finding people to write nice about you. Try and get someone who you served under. That will hold more weight then some random COL. A CMC/COB saying they would gladly serve under YOU will surely hold more weight than most.... But then I'm not sitting the board.

GunJinC21

I apperciate for any help!

I would like to know what happened if I never took any SAT/ACT before? English is my second language. Do I still have time to schedule one and get the result back before the submission deadline? Can I take either one(SAT? ACT?) Since it's going to be my first time, how should I prepare for that?

On the other hand, I'm half way through my Bachelor Degree and how does it work if I get seletted??

RumRiverCATO

I do believe that there is time yet if you take the very next test. Sometimes it takes about a month for results to come back, perhaps sooner. If you google ACT or SAT, you will find a link to the test publishing company. There they will have a list of dates and tests for you to look at. Call your NCO or ESO and see if they are giving a test soon. They 'should' be helpful in assisting you in meeting your goals. If not, you can eat the bill and sign up for a test on your own through the ACT/SAT website, like I had to.
It doesn't matter which test, but if you are concerned about your score, sign up for both give the better score.
To prepare, both websites offer a tutorial and practice exams for a price. I signed up for the the ACT website help for 20 bucks, and got some tutorials and two practice exams. It was helpful in seeing what I needed to work on. Check your local library/NCO for a study book, and just get cracking. They should have everything you need to practice for either test for free.
If you do get selected, your college credits probably will (but might not) transfer to whatever school you get accepted into. From there you will build a degree plan in whatever you're interested in.

Good luck,
Sam

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I would like to know what happened if I never took any SAT/ACT before? English is my second language. Do I still have time to schedule one and get the result back before the submission deadline? Can I take either one(SAT? ACT?) Since it's going to be my first time, how should I prepare for that?

On the other hand, I'm half way through my Bachelor Degree and how does it work if I get seletted??

Contact your Navy College Office for a list of times/dates that the test is available. The NCO in Norfolk gives the test 2-3 times a month. Scores take 4-6 weeks to come back so you would get them back sometime in June...this gives your chain of command ZERO time to coordinate your interview boards and process your package. The best time to take the tests is around February or March to give your COC time to get your package board ready. You can try to take the test and see if your COC will help you out, but I think that you have probably held off a little too long to submit a package this year...

As far as your degree...find out what school you want to go to and see how many of your credits they will transfer towards your major. This will give you a good idea of the time frame you will need in order to graduate in <36 months. If selected, you will have to submit a degree plan to Pensacola stating that you can grad in <36 months.

SkywardET

Contrarian
Take both the SAT and ACT. Do the boards without the results if you have to; just posit that you are academically competitive based on other factors (GPA, over halfway done with the degree, etc.), and go from there. Even if you have to submit a package without the ACT/SAT results, you have until August 1st to update your package via mail. Remember, the worst they can do is say no, so if you really want it, get it done.

xtreme_rob said:
Put yourself in the shoes of the selection board that will look at your package. They will see your LOR and think a few things, among them will be that you went through the trouble of asking a Congressman for an endorsement and therefore are taking this seriously, but also that you did not have anyone you worked for recommend you. As haubby said, a senior enlisted or a prior enlisted that you serve or served under would probably be the best sort of LOR.

brian_burrows

1st Timer FY10
Poam

Hey all again, its been a while. Just got the commands POAM for NAVIOCOM MD. May 22 is the deadline to turn packages in! Closing in!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Does the SAT look better than the ACT on the application? Does it matter? Thanks!

It doesn't matter which test you take, but in my opinion, the ACT is a much easier test. The SAT is designed to be sort of "tricky". The ACT is much more straight forward, plus you don't have to write an essay on the ACT.

xtreme_rob

I took them both but am not sure which to submit, is there a camparison chart anywhere to decide which score is better?