• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I am an E-5 with 3.5 years in and a late bloomer to STA-21

Hmm, I was a first class w/ 8 years when I got picked up. However, the age requirements have changed and don't allow for that anymore. What I would take from that is this. As long as you have a competitive package, the age thing doesn't matter. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they don't even look at it with the exception of an admin part. Other than that, good luck.

Oh yeah, eyes for pilot can be 20/40 correctable to 20/20, plus some other stuff thrown in there. So, unless the other stuff is messed up, you don't need the procedure.

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
Hmm, I was a first class w/ 8 years when I got picked up. However, the age requirements have changed and don't allow for that anymore. What I would take from that is this. As long as you have a competitive package, the age thing doesn't matter. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they don't even look at it with the exception of an admin part. Other than that, good luck.

Oh yeah, eyes for pilot can be 20/40 correctable to 20/20, plus some other stuff thrown in there. So, unless the other stuff is messed up, you don't need the procedure.
According to the eye exam I took in Navy occupational health(which consisted of small circles with slits) I have 20/35 vision, but when I went to Navy Optometry and a civilian optometrist, I had 20/20. I have no colorblindness or astigmatism's so hopefully I have a chance.

LAX89

boards

How much weight do they put on your boards? i had my first at my command last week and it went AMAZING:)... so im hoping that will help a lot.

Jcmiller

Sta-21 Applacation

Hello everyone,

This is my first year applying to the sta-21 program. I have been waiting all year to apply for this program and have been putting an extreme amount of effort all year shaping my packet. My Questions is, since I'm relatively new to the navy, less then two years and have more background in leadership and judgment in character outside the navy, should I add a unique item that played a huge part in the person I am today. What I mean is, I once Weight (around 4 yrs ago) 273 pounds with a body fat content of 35% and now I weight a 180 pounds with a less then 9% body fat and just completed my first marathon, with that said should I put a before picture of my self to show my devotion and discipline to set a goal and achieve it?

Any Replay would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Joe

Navy_Brat_AT

Hello everyone,

This is my first year applying to the sta-21 program. I have been waiting all year to apply for this program and have been putting an extreme amount of effort all year shaping my packet. My Questions is, since I'm relatively new to the navy, less then two years and have more background in leadership and judgment in character outside the navy, should I add a unique item that played a huge part in the person I am today. What I mean is, I once Weight (around 4 yrs ago) 273 pounds with a body fat content of 35% and now I weight a 180 pounds with a less then 9% body fat and just completed my first marathon, with that said should I put a before picture of my self to show my devotion and discipline to set a goal and achieve it?

Any Replay would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Joe

Your dedication is absolutely stunning. Remember that it’s all up to you whether you get selected. No one else. Showing that you have lost a lot of weight is a great example of how much you care. However, I would not suggest adding any photos to your package.
It would be a great piece of material to have, but if you do decide to put it in there, don’t make it everything. When you have completed everything you have done for your package, ALL (not one) items need to stand out.
The biggest thing the board members look for is change. If you had poor study habits in high school, it will show. As far as the Navy is concerned, have you improved as a person? Keep working and good luck.

Tell everyone to keep asking questions on this blog. I am sure there are plenty of other STA-21 selects that can help you out.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
How much weight do they put on your boards? i had my first at my command last week and it went AMAZING:)... so im hoping that will help a lot.

Your boards carry a lot of weight as well as the CO's endorsement. They want to see that you have the potential to succeed as an officer. An outstanding enlisted sailor doesn't necessarily translate to an outstanding officer, and they'll probably tell you that. Good luck with the rest of the package. Sounds like you're on the right track.

xtreme_rob

Refractive surgery

My vision is presently 20/35 corrected to 20/20 and I was wondering if it would disqualify me to put in an Aviation Refractive Surgery request?
I am applying for Pilot, and am worried about my vision being a problem with my package. I have my Naval Aviation Refractive Surgery Consult Form filled out, just debating on whether or not to submit it.

Beefalo

I am retaking the ACT in April due to a non-qualifying math score. The NCO says the scores should come out in May. I am meeting some resistance in my CoC as they dont believe that will be enough time to setup interview/nomination boards and the CO's endorsement by the July deadline. I was told by the ESO not to submit the STA-21 chit until I got a qualifying score which means I cannot attemtp to setup interview boards until May which is cutting it close.

Another thing is how can I get a good CO's endorsement? I am on a carrier which is such a large command that you dont interact with the CO as an E-5 at all unless you are part of co's admin.

Navy_Brat_AT

I am retaking the ACT in April due to a non-qualifying math score. The NCO says the scores should come out in May. I am meeting some resistance in my CoC as they dont believe that will be enough time to setup interview/nomination boards and the CO's endorsement by the July deadline. I was told by the ESO not to submit the STA-21 chit until I got a qualifying score which means I cannot attemtp to setup interview boards until May which is cutting it close.

Another thing is how can I get a good CO's endorsement? I am on a carrier which is such a large command that you dont interact with the CO as an E-5 at all unless you are part of co's admin.

First thing, your CoC can tell you to not submit a chit, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t. Look by not putting in, even before your qualifying ACT results are back, shows that you’re not interested in the program. I actually had 2 weeks before the packages were due before four of us were sent up for boards. As far as your CO Endorsement, write it up yourself and the captain will edit sign his name at the bottom. All of that will happen when your package is sent through the chain of command before being mailed to Pensacola.
The USS Kitty hawk was a pain to work around, but it is all up to YOU to see how bad you want it. My advice, doesn't matter how you get it done, get it done.

xtreme_rob

Do piercings have a big effect on selection process? I have not seen many male officers who have had pierced ears, mine were pierced prior to enlisting and I am unsure if this will cause me much trouble...

Navy_Brat_AT

Do piercings have a big effect on selection process? I have not seen many male officers who have had pierced ears, mine were pierced prior to enlisting and I am unsure if this will cause me much trouble...

That shouldn't be a problem. But you should probably take them out, they are not becomming of an officer.

AmericanRiver

Bigfoot Slam Dunk Rainmaker

You'll probably be alright with them, the military is getting rid of the Don't ask don't tell policy

AmericanRiver

Bigfoot Slam Dunk Rainmaker
ear

Lol nice slam... But seriously, I had gauged ears in High School but no longer wear them.

Unless someone on your interview board takes offense to them I don't think It'll matter. However if they're still gauged and you've been holding onto the rebellous side by keeping them gauged when your out of uniform, then you need to consider if the military is the right career for you.

Nothing against gauged ears but if your going to be a career Naval Officer then you need to look the part. Your community does judge the Navy based on YOUR appearance.

Good luck with STA. PM me if you need anything.

xtreme_rob

astb

Got my ASTB test scores, AQR-6 PFAR-6 FOFAR-5 OAR-56

I only had about 3 days to study, and with no aviation background, I think I can do better if I get a little more study time. Should I study more and retest?