• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First of Navy's new CWO Aviators pin on their wings!

skillz

Does anyone know the progress of the CWO to pilots in flight school? Besides a couple of articles I have found saying "the first two got winged" I havent heard anything else about them....Have any attrited that anybody knows about?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I havent heard anything else about them....Have any attrited that anybody knows about?
I see from your profile that you are applying for commissioning programs, but I am really curious why you want to know if others have failed. Obviously, if most or all of the CWOs attrited from flight school, Big Navy would reexamine this pilot program, and you might not be able to apply for it. However, beyond that, a couple of attrites aren't really going to affect your situation are they?

BTW, I'm not trying to attack you, just curious about your question... and maybe it's not quite worded the way you intended.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If skillz is asking because he thinks it'll have some impact on his chances, then not a relevant question. If he's asking because he's figured out that higher-than-average attrite numbers for the FWO studs might mean Big Navy killing the program, then it is a relevant question.

However comma there really haven't been enough of them through the program yet to indicate any kind of a trend. From what I can see in the "dumbass-O-3" field of vision, they don't seem to be doing significantly better or worse than the other prior enlisted folks.

If you're thinking of going for FWO, two pieces of advice:

One, hit the books. Take some courses at the local junior college, or online, whatever, doesn't have to be Rocket Surgery 402, just limber up the "hitting the books" part of your brain. It atrophies quick, and flight school ain't like other Navy schools.

Two, do those who're following you a favor and be prepared to dazzle everybody. The FWOs will be seriously scrutinized, in a way that your fellow cones will not. You won't be able to just blend into the pack, and if you fuck up, it'll be known. And it doesn't stop at Winging, either. The Navy runs on word of mouth and ready-room reputation, and when time comes to start making decisions on keeping or dumping the FWO program, a few skippers saying "I had a couple of warrant nuggets flying for me, and they were shit hot," or, "they were fucking no-loads" will make a big impact...maybe more than it should, but c'est la guerre.

skillz

Not really a stupid question, but its a question so I figured I'd post it here...Does anyone know how the CWO pilots are doing...In flight school, in the fleet? I've only seen one article about the first couple getting there wings. Other than that kind of quiet. I'm asking is because I had some LT tell me they weren't going to do well because they didn't have the "4 year" degree that was so necessary to make it through flight school.

skillz

^^^sorry for the above post, I see that my post was moved to the appropriate place...disregard.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm asking is because I had some LT tell me they weren't going to do well because they didn't have the "4 year" degree that was so necessary to make it through flight school.
Aha, now I see where you are coming from.

That LT is talking out of his a$$. I know plenty of people, some of who are on this board, who made it through flight school (both pilot and NFO) just fine without a 4 year or even a 2 year degree.

Ask him if he knows how the old STA program used to work.... with all due respect, of course.

skillz

The reason I'm asking is not because I'm worried about the failure rates or my chances and what not. I was having a discussion with a couple pilots and they had the nerve to tell me that they didn't think CWO pilots would do good in flight school because they did not have the required "4 year" degree that they made sound necessary to succeed in flight school.

Other than that I was just trying to check on their progress because I know some of you may be down in Pensacola and are seeing it first hand. Like I said, I read that article but haven't heard much about them since.

Sorry If they original question was written incorrectly.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The reason I'm asking is not because I'm worried about the failure rates or my chances and what not. I was having a discussion with a couple pilots and they had the nerve to tell me that they didn't think CWO pilots would do good in flight school because they did not have the required "4 year" degree that they made sound necessary to succeed in flight school.

Other than that I was just trying to check on their progress because I know some of you may be down in Pensacola and are seeing it first hand. Like I said, I read that article but haven't heard much about them since.

Sorry If they original question was written incorrectly.

Sorry if that insulted you, but in all honesty it is a legitimate question.

bb1125

None
Sorry if that insulted you, but in all honesty it is a legitimate question.
Are you really freakin' serious? A college degree has absolutely nothing to do with how well you'll do in flight school. I'm prior enlisted and got my degree while on active duty and I really don't think it means sh!t. It's just a piece of paper that I used to open up some doors for me. I'm still the same person I was before I earned my degree and it certainly hasn't helped me in flight school.