• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First of Navy's new CWO Aviators pin on their wings!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hey there MIDNJAC, I hope you not talking about me, because I surely was never insulted and certainly never made any reference to YOU suggesting that I was insulted. I merely posted a question and everyone on here seems to have taken it way out of context and is running with it. Never meant for this to be an issue, simply wanted to know how the CWO's were doing.

No worries, and if you haven't noticed yet, that tends to happen around here :)

FlyinRock

I was pleased to have had Mr. Ridderout for at least 6 of his IFS flights and told him he should go for the pilot program if he got the chance.
As for the degree, that is simply a statement that the individual attended the required amount of classes and received passing grades for the institution. In and of itself, a degree is no guarantee of anything performance wise but ATTITUDE does. I have generally seen prior enlisted dig in harder getting thru IFS. They recognize the opportunity for what it is and worked to get the chance. Many of the college grads and freshly commissioned are here and not a real clue why! THAT distresses me. With a four year degree and they haven't yet figured out what they want to be when they finally grow up? I'm guessing but I think the attrite rate is probably the same regardless. Some have the basic aptitude and a few don't. Otrhers may excel in anything they do.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I was pleased to have had Mr. Ridderout for at least 6 of his IFS flights and told him he should go for the pilot program if he got the chance.
As for the degree, that is simply a statement that the individual attended the required amount of classes and received passing grades for the institution. In and of itself, a degree is no guarantee of anything performance wise but ATTITUDE does. I have generally seen prior enlisted dig in harder getting thru IFS. They recognize the opportunity for what it is and worked to get the chance. Many of the college grads and freshly commissioned are here and not a real clue why! THAT distresses me. With a four year degree and they haven't yet figured out what they want to be when they finally grow up? I'm guessing but I think the attrite rate is probably the same regardless. Some have the basic aptitude and a few don't. Otrhers may excel in anything they do.

Though I never did IFS, I have seen a similar pattern around here as well

Zissou

Banned
Hey there MIDNJAC, I hope you not talking about me, because I surely was never insulted and certainly never made any reference to YOU suggesting that I was insulted. I merely posted a question and everyone on here seems to have taken it way out of context and is running with it. Never meant for this to be an issue, simply wanted to know how the CWO's were doing.

You've got some sand.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
This is all a moot point. Under the old STA program, there are plenty of people without degrees who did just fine in flight school. This issue has already been resolved.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is all a moot point. Under the old STA program, there are plenty of people without degrees who did just fine in flight school. This issue has already been resolved.

That was a really good deal for those guys. Straight to OCS from the fleet (some even checked in to OCS in their enlisted dress whites), commissioned as Ensigns, and then directly to API and flight school. After that, the first shore tour was getting the Bachelors degree.

I know you know this HH, but more of a historical reply. It must have been too good of a deal because it went away sometime after '98 '99 time frame.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think a degree is "necessary" to make it through flight school, I don't think many aviators would, either. If nothing else, all those high-school grads who go immediately to flying Army helos would seem to argue otherwise.

It's a problem of perception, not reality. You Fleet guys know how the Ready Room BS has a way of becoming Revealed Truth once someone senior enough repeats it. If your average Joe Cone struggles in the program, it's because he's not working hard, or not studying enough, or just doesn't have the chops, or whatever. If a FWO is struggling, it's because he's been out of school too long, or only has an Associate degree to begin with, and then that becomes an argument for killing the FWO program altogether.

S.O.B.

pilot
I'm fairly certain that the Royal Navy does not have a degree requirement for any of their officers. I pretty sure they are tested on aptitude and potential and given a shot at OCS.

On a side note: I'm not sure I buy the "teaches you time management" argument for getting a degree. I really believe that to a certain extent you either have it or you don't.

Third: What is it about the Academy that produces kids that can sleep for insane periods of time both on and off the boat?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Third: What is it about the Academy that produces kids that can sleep for insane periods of time both on and off the boat?

Because one of the things you learn as a Plebe is to catch as much rack time as you can, anywhere and anytime it presents itself. You then spend the next 3 years perfecting that skill.

You'd be amazed at the places Mids find to sleep...

I'm sure the same holds true at any of the Academies...

phrogpilot73

Because one of the things you learn as a Plebe is to catch as much rack time as you can, anywhere and anytime it presents itself. You then spend the next 3 years perfecting that skill.

You'd be amazed at the places Plebes find to sleep...
That too. I slept on the third deck of Nimitz as a plebe first semester. Second semester, I racked out in the 2nd Reg CO's room (he was a buddy from High School).

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
That too. I slept on the third deck of Nimitz as a plebe first semester. Second semester, I racked out in the 2nd Reg CO's room (he was a buddy from High School).

Third deck of Nimitz was definitely a good place to catch a bit of sleep. Just make sure you bring along an alarm clock seeing as how you couldn't always hear the bells.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Third deck of Nimitz was definitely a good place to catch a bit of sleep. Just make sure you bring along an alarm clock seeing as how you couldn't always hear the bells.
My ability to sleep through the bow cats and man-over-boards scares me. I am pretty sure that if my smoke alarm went off at home, I would just roll over and smile as the flames tickled my toes.