• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First of Navy's new CWO Aviators pin on their wings!

skillz

yeah, It definitely pissed me off too. A great opportunity for those enlisted to make there dreams come true and it seems the haters are in full effect already.

But not to cause a stir about a degree or no degree for flight school, does anyone really know how they are doing?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
A college degree has absolutely nothing to do with how well you'll do in flight school. I'm prior enlisted and got my degree while on active duty and I really don't think it means sh!t. It's just a piece of paper that I used to open up some doors for me. I'm still the same person I was before I earned my degree and it certainly hasn't helped me in flight school.
I tend to disagree to an extent. Going to a 4 year college/university teaches you time management skills, study skills, and social skills (academy people just laugh). You will find out when you get to your squadron that the meaning of the degree is a value held by wardroom members. Remember the biggest difference between an officer and an enlisted person is that degree. You are charged with more responsibility, authority, and accountability as a result of your education. Don't ever talk down an education, especially if you are a Mustang who busted their tail to get where you are. But no, English 101 will not help with flight school.

the AF Reserves are looking good, especially with that very slim chance of flying A-10's.
I think the chances are much slimmer than you think. No chance Paddles!

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I think most of the CWO's have degrees. Does anyone know the percentage of CWO with degrees? One of the Warrants in my squadron said about 80% have their Bachelors.

skillz

I think most of the CWO's have degrees. Does anyone know the percentage of CWO with degrees? One of the Warrants in my squadron said about 80% have their Bachelors.

An associates is mandatory for this program....According to the FY06 board, 2 of the 14 selected had there Bachelors.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The "study skills" point has some merit. Especially for guys who graduated HS a long time ago, it's hard getting back in the books.

I think the overall concern for the degree is overblown. The value of the degree as far as the service is concerned, is not so much the knowledge and skills conferred by earning the degree, but the screening process it performs. The degree basically tells the service that you have a little "G-2," and that you're probably at least trainable in the more intellectually strenuous military disciplines.

If the Navy/Marines didn't mind a higher attrition rate, they could just get rid of the degree requirement and recruit off the street, but this is one way of weeding out some of the chaff before it comes through.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
And being enlisted in the Navy doesn't?
Sorry for the Bourgeoisie answer but it is not the same. Increasingly technical and intellectual occupations and careers require an increased level of education.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I tend to disagree to an extent. Going to a 4 year college/university teaches you time management skills, study skills, and social skills (academy people just laugh). You will find out when you get to your squadron that the meaning of the degree is a value held by wardroom members. Remember the biggest difference between an officer and an enlisted person is that degree. You are charged with more responsibility, authority, and accountability as a result of your education. Don't ever talk down an education, especially if you are a Mustang who busted their tail to get where you are. But no, English 101 will not help with flight school.

I think the chances are much slimmer than you think. No chance Paddles!

I respectfully disagree. I'm sure there are many enlisted who have 4 year (or at least 2 year) degrees. Some choose to serve on one side or the other for various reasons.

On top of that, there were many at OCS (can't speak for ROTC or USNA) who had degrees (possibly even graduate degrees) who couldn't hack it and had to pack it, for whatever reason (DOR/Attrite). So the biggest difference between Enlisted and Officers is NOT a degree. It's just a piece of paper. One that I am proud of, but my degree doesn't MAKE me an officer...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think we're all in agreement that you could be a good officer without a degree, and just because you're enlisted doesn't mean you weren't "good enough" to get a degree, but it makes sense to have a degree as a benchmark for as an entrance requirement. If you assume the average enlisted Sailor joins after high school and the average officer is commissioned after graduation (true, given most come from ROTC/USNA), I would venture to say that there is a huge maturity difference between the two groups, on average. Thus, if you have to pick a basic standard for commissioning, a college degree makes the most sense. The degree doesn't make you "qualified" to be an officer, but I think it signifies that you have a maturity level that is likely higher than the Sailor enlisting right after high school.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I respectfully disagree. I'm sure there are many enlisted who have 4 year (or at least 2 year) degrees. Some choose to serve on one side or the other for various reasons.
I think you misinterpreted what I said. One has a degree and the other might have a degree. Also, the longer one is enlisted and rises in the ranks, the more likely they are to have a degree. Promotion comes quicker with education.
The amount of people who enlist with a 4 year degree is not many. Keep in mind who recruiters concentrate on. I always stress to ALL enlisted the importance of getting a degree and since you can do it on the Navy's dime, it would be stupid not to. 2 year degrees, while an achievement, I do not think hold much water other than to get you closer to getting the 4 year degree.

On top of that, there were many at OCS (can't speak for ROTC or USNA) who had degrees (possibly even graduate degrees) who couldn't hack it and had to pack it, for whatever reason (DOR/Attrite). So the biggest difference between Enlisted and Officers is NOT a degree. It's just a piece of paper. One that I am proud of, but my degree doesn't MAKE me an officer...
Your degree allowed you to go to OCS. So, Ensign, what do you think the biggest difference between Enlisted and Officers, besides the leader you are as an Officer? Now that you have a bachelors degree and degrees are "just a piece of paper," I sense that you do not have a desire to get a masters or other graduate level education.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Are you really freakin' serious? A college degree has absolutely nothing to do with how well you'll do in flight school. I'm prior enlisted and got my degree while on active duty and I really don't think it means sh!t. It's just a piece of paper that I used to open up some doors for me. I'm still the same person I was before I earned my degree and it certainly hasn't helped me in flight school.

Chill out there my friend. I said it was a legitimate question, not that I agreed. For some CWO wannabe to be insulted that the notion was even made stinks of entitlement to me. Yes a college degree is not what makes a good officer or flight stud, but on the other hand there are plenty of good (study) skills that you HAVE to have to get through college, which some of you other folks (non-degree types) MAY have picked up just being in the fleet. The LT's around you have a right to be skeptical, that's all I'm saying. That said, I think my degree probably means about as much to me as yours does to you. And for the record, all the CWO pilot studs I've met have been impressive dudes.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Your degree allowed you to go to OCS. So, Ensign, what do you think the biggest difference between Enlisted and Officers, besides the leader you are as an Officer? Now that you have a bachelors degree and degrees are "just a piece of paper," I sense that you do not have a desire to get a masters or other graduate level education.

But so what? Just because you got your Masters doesn't mean it's the end all for everyone else. The original question/statement was will the lack of a degree create problems in flight school. The time management argument has some merit, but people have figured out how to manage their time who haven't gone to school.

I had a Chief who didn't even have his HS diploma but he might have been the most well-rounded Chief I have met. He might get his degree at some point, but if he doesn't he's still done a stellar job as both a blue shirt and a khaki and continues to do so.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
But so what? Just because you got your Masters doesn't mean it's the end all for everyone else. The original question/statement was will the lack of a degree create problems in flight school. The time management argument has some merit, but people have figured out how to manage their time who haven't gone to school.

I had a Chief who didn't even have his HS diploma but he might have been the most well-rounded Chief I have met. He might get his degree at some point, but if he doesn't he's still done a stellar job as both a blue shirt and a khaki and continues to do so.

Getting a degree has no bearing on how you will do in flight school. But I assure you that advancing education will make you more likely to promote into positions of increased responsibilities. If you do not desire to do anything but fly and retire as an O-4, then sure, you do not need the whole education thing as much as someone who desires to advance in rank and responsibility. As you said regarding a Master's, to each is his own, it is not for everyone.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
On a side note, I thought I remembered reading from the original message several years back that the flying CWO's were restricted to helo and maritime communities. Talking w/ one of the warrants the other week, he mentioned that they are eligible for every platform w/ the exception of Rhinos. Has there been a change in policy, or am I just remembering incorrectly?

skillz

For some CWO wannabe to be insulted that the notion was even made stinks of entitlement to me.

Hey there MIDNJAC, I hope you not talking about me, because I surely was never insulted and certainly never made any reference to YOU suggesting that I was insulted. I merely posted a question and everyone on here seems to have taken it way out of context and is running with it. Never meant for this to be an issue, simply wanted to know how the CWO's were doing.