• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I would guess it's the wire hanging off the top of the vertical stab...although I don't know why you'd want a flimsy ass wire like that banging around back there.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where is the mad on the Indian birds? No stinger?

There is a small stinger that is in line with the horizontal stabs in the two pics that show it above, it is mostly white.

Here is a better pic of it:

AIR_P-8i_1st_Flight_Overwater_2011-09-28_Boeing_lg.jpg

MasterBates

You know when VAW is less nerdy than you.. It says something.

We had a trailing wire HF antenna.. That's about all I knew about it.

robav8r

None
Contributor
<pushes glasses>

Are you sure about that? I was always taught 200 feet but it hangs 180 feet due to slip-stream.

Watch out, LAMPS sword fight!
Only 180' deployed. Same on the SH-2F & SH-60B. I still remember the chart recorder speeds for the ASA-26 and RO-32 as well as the LN-66 & APS-124 RADAR freqs. I think I am cursed that way. And yes, at work plowing through email pushing up my glasses being very nerdy :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Only 180' deployed. Same on the SH-2F & SH-60B. I still remember the chart recorder speeds for the ASA-26 and RO-32 as well as the LN-66 & APS-124 RADAR freqs. I think I am cursed that way. And yes, at work plowing through email pushing up my glasses being very nerdy :)

I demand documentation...

By the way, what is it about the -124 radar freq(s)? That hasn't left my head since the RAG. I guess the numbers are so...divisible? I'm not sure what you'd call it.

But I still don't completely buy the 180...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
How did the evolve into a LAMPS-geek-a-rama?

Can we get back to watching the P-3 bubbas shoot at each other?