• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

JackyB

After this effort, it will be off to Seattle and to get fitted for a probe dock....understand plumbing already there.
You know US Sen. Saxby Chambliss ( Don't you love that name) said the P-8 was so good it could spot a beer can in the water. Didn't say at what altitude, so he must of meant Iranian Subs............

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I can't speak on specifics and how they're operating out there, but transit wise the plane is fast and efficient at altitude. Plus, it carries a lot more fuel (slightly higher burn rate) and from people I've talked to out there it does pretty well.

exNavyOffRec

After this effort, it will be off to Seattle and to get fitted for a probe dock....understand plumbing already there.
You know US Sen. Saxby Chambliss ( Don't you love that name) said the P-8 was so good it could spot a beer can in the water. Didn't say at what altitude, so he must of meant Iranian Subs............

I think the Iranian subs spend most of their time bouncing off the floor of the persian gulf, I hear they have verified the depth of the Persian Gulf several times.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
At one point, we had a few of our TPS grads did a joint venture with the P-8 VX crowd to teach the "craft" of air refueling boom and recepticle style. That program dried up quickly, however, and I am pretty certain all of that corporate knowledge is gone, but it definitely isn't rocket surgery.
The lack of a no-shit bed in the back of that airplane is a little concerning. When you start flying double digit hours long missions, especially on the back side of the clock, pilots will need some rest.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I agree with the beds, but to be fair there is enough room to set up a couple air mattresses. That being said, the galley is great and there's a flushing toilet.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oil consumption is the big limiting factor for when we get inflight refueling eventually. On the personnel level, even beyond the physical demands of such long on station times, I think CPRG and Big Navy will have to take a better look at squadron manning plans if They decide we should refuel all the time. Supporting a multi-day flap will be an interesting proposal.

Renegade One

None
P-8's participating in the search SW of Australia? Think I heard reports that they were… Do they bring anything to the fight beyond that of the mighty "War Pigs"? Range, endurance, refueling capability, TOS, sensors, etc. ?

I already get that there aren't any bunks for the sweaty, stinky NFOs or enlisted folks. :cool:

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just the drivers? The rest of the crew can go…what? Red Bull?
The "rest" of the crew is usually sleeping/watching a movie/playing a game/eating in the galley, etc on transits to station. I never really "worried" about them getting adequate rest, as a Mission Commander, I was more concerned with the fatigue of the pilots and FEs in the flight station, followed by "limited" concern for the NAV and Radar Operator (SS3) when terrain/nav/wx were involved.

That being said, when you get aircrews logging over 150 hours in the last 30 days, there are definitely some varying personality quirks and fatigue issues that start manifesting (my crew was on their 43rd day flying, at around 174 hours in the last 30, and I had a flight engineer fall asleep during engine starts).