• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Its a configuration master warning while the flaps are tracking on the runway. Hard to get used to at first, but by the time you get to the plane you have seen it enough in the sim to expect it and tune it out.
Ah, got it. For us, it is the takeoff warning horn and for the same reason. It is loud as all get out, but we pilots are just conditioned from a young age to ignore it. Kind of funny, because it is one of our abort criteria on initial takeoff.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
It's frustrating that we were able to get a low level operation switch that inhibits a lot of nuisance warnings down low, but we couldn't get a touch and go switch that would inhibit some warnings and keep the computer from having a shit fit.
It is all in the name of keeping it off the shelf and saving money. We have all the same switches in the E-6, they are common to the display system and GPWS in the commercial 737.
You don't see too many 737s doing touch and goes. At least, you didn't used to.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Likewise for the Flying Drumstick . . . CCA pattern is flown gear up, flaps down. So naturally the WHEELS warning is flashing in your face all the way on downwind.

You can get that in the Hornet too (same place), but it is normally just a good reminder to go baralt hold/ATC and stop being a dumb dumb and descending/decelerating in the bolter/WO pattern. IIRC it happens for us below 175 kts with some amount of descent rate present.

Renegade One

None
Don't get me wrong. I love the plane, but there are some blaring examples of why NFOs should never be allowed to run the acquisition of an airplane.

There are probably about half a dozen things that make you want to go on a rampage and murder the first 3 double anchors you see...
Lotta hate here. Is it because all the single anchor guys barfed and refused the non-flying acquisition jobs? ;)

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Lotta hate here. Is it because all the single anchor guys barfed and refused the non-flying acquisition jobs? ;)
The P-8 has been a model acquisition program. It has come in ahead of schedule and has not exceeded any budget thresholds. It has also stayed neatly out of the public eye, in part due to the law of JO thermodynamics applying to the F-35 debacle.
I understand that there are probably shortcomings in the airframe, but in the grand scope of things, this is the one that the Navy did right. They took a low risk approach to modifying an off the shelf product and it has worked extremely well.
For all you F-35 fans, I understand that they had to invent a new airplane, etc, but those Super Hornets are looking better and better the longer this thing gets drawn out.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The P-8 has been a model acquisition program. It has come in ahead of schedule and has not exceeded any budget thresholds. It has also stayed neatly out of the public eye, in part due to the law of JO thermodynamics applying to the F-35 debacle.
I understand that there are probably shortcomings in the airframe, but in the grand scope of things, this is the one that the Navy did right. They took a low risk approach to modifying an off the shelf product and it has worked extremely well.
For all you F-35 fans, I understand that they had to invent a new airplane, etc, but those Super Hornets are looking better and better the longer this thing gets drawn out.

Our guys saw what happened to the Nimrod MKIVs and the Brits MPRA community (ie the A in MRPA now means Merlin helicopters...only) and went hmm....maybe don't fuck this up...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

The double anchors did it right in the back. The systems can do some pretty incredible things on station, but you also have to consider that a P-3/8 NFO knows a great deal less about actually flying the plane than say a Hornet/Growler FO.

My favorite thing to do to a new NAV was to tell them we had a Prop pump 1 light on number 1 after we had shut it down for loiter. The terror on their faces... Oh I'll never get tired of that.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
We say Triton now. BAMS is no more.

Not exactly true. BAMS-D is the five currently flying Navy Global Hawks.

The "D" is for Developmental.

Saying BAMS is like saying JSF, it's the program, not the actual air vehicle.

Triton is the follow on program to the BAMS-D.

Think F-17 and F-18 except we are actually deploying the F-17's (the BAMS-D) we had before we actually got an F-18.

I learned all this when I heard there is a move afoot to bring a BAMS-D to the Master ASW Base (as. Proof of concept) in the near future.

statesman

pilot
Yeah it was mostly a piss take on the ludicrous nature of how we shift gears on names rather arbitrarily...

But in MPRA there is already a strong move to start referring to MQ-4 as Triton.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The Triton FIT guys were pretty adamant to use the right name to avoid crossing the streams.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
It's frustrating that we were able to get a low level operation switch that inhibits a lot of nuisance warnings down low, but we couldn't get a touch and go switch that would inhibit some warnings and keep the computer from having a shit fit.
is it really that bad?

statesman

pilot
No its not that bad, but it also wouldn't be that hard to fix. It just points to the fact that parts of the airplane were ill conceived.

You know as well as I do, that ALT UHF nonsense should never have been overlooked.