• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

LPO Beck

GONNA MAKE CHIEF
Are there any good sources to keep up with the transition process? Like how many squadrons are fully transitioned, which are next, how many flying Orions vs. flying Poseidons, etc?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Are there any good sources to keep up with the transition process? Like how many squadrons are fully transitioned, which are next, how many flying Orions vs. flying Poseidons, etc?

The SIPR webs.

Or, you know, the NAS Jax base newspaper. :D

I think we're up to like 3 squadrons fully flopped over to the dark side, with one more in the pipeline?
All the Jax squadrons are going 1st, then the legacy Hawaii squadrons, which are currently supposed to homeport change to Whidbey after their transition is complete. The current Whidbey squadrons will go last, circa 2018.

I'm still betting that before it's all said and done,we decomm at least 2 squadrons and turn one other other into a VQ-type squadron.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
The SIPR webs.

Or, you know, the NAS Jax base newspaper. :D

I think we're up to like 3 squadrons fully flopped over to the dark side, with one more in the pipeline?
All the Jax squadrons are going 1st, then the legacy Hawaii squadrons, which are currently supposed to homeport change to Whidbey after their transition is complete. The current Whidbey squadrons will go last, circa 2018.

I'm still betting that before it's all said and done,we decomm at least 2 squadrons and turn one other other into a VQ-type squadron.

2018? Any idea on the timeline for when JAX will be fully transitioned and the Hawaii squadrons will start?

Just looking for the information since I would prefer Whidbey over JAX if I went down the maritime road.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Budget proposal highlights from DODbuzz...

Biggest losers

1. P-8A Poseidon, made by Boeing Co.

The Navy’s P-8A Poseidon surveillance aircraft would get about $2.4 billion, a 35 percent decrease from this year. The funding would purchase eight of the commercially derived jet aircraft — down from 16 in fiscal 2014 — as well as support equipment and spares. Some of the money would also be used to purchase aircraft in fiscal 2016.

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2014/03/05/drones-helos-and-ships-win-in-2015-budget/

Well let's handed to the Navy PAO's. They are humpin the P-8 on the Malaysian Plane search. On FOX Greta had an interview with an on board LCDR during the Search who trumpeted the 8's attributes. Then there were other interviews with Navy leaders that talked about its great search abilities. Way to go Navy and keep em coming. We need as many as we can get to replace to poor old Pig.

Renegade One

None
Well let's handed to the Navy PAO's. They are humpin the P-8 on the Malaysian Plane search. On FOX Greta had an interview with an on board LCDR during the Search who trumpeted the 8's attributes. Then there were other interviews with Navy leaders that talked about its great search abilities. Way to go Navy and keep em coming. We need as many as we can get to replace to poor old Pig.
Yeah…the "Poseidon" has done well on national/international news recently. Not really sure there will be anything like a "good story ending"…but it is what it is, guess...

exNavyOffRec

I am sure it has been mentioned somewhere but does the P-8 have in flight refueling capability?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The aircraft is plumbed for it, and there are procedures in NATOPS, but it has not been done yet. The Australian Wedgetail is the same aircraft and has the same system so it definitely can be done, it just hasn't been "approved" or even tested really.

exNavyOffRec

The aircraft is plumbed for it, and there are procedures in NATOPS, but it has not been done yet. The Australian Wedgetail is the same aircraft and has the same system so it definitely can be done, it just hasn't been "approved" or even tested really.

I was wondering based on the distance the P-8 has to fly from Perth to the search area, it doesn't seem like that much time on station.