• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighting in Georgia

Brief account of earlier naval incident between Russia and Georgia. "Moskva Heavily Damaged" is interesting, and how "opposed" was the Russians' landing? If the account's true, sounds like Georgian sailors went down fighting.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2061604/posts
moskva_cruiser.jpg

250px-Georgian_Navy_missile_boat_Tbilisi.jpg

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I am really looking forward to a book or a "Military Channel" special on all aspects of this Russia-Georgia mugging. I looks like the little guy got some excellent punches in from his air defense & naval forces - but the ground force guys never had a chance.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huh. Moskva getting beat up against patrol boats is indeed interesting. The real details of this engagement will be fascinating.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Then I apologize to you, sir, if you are a native Pole. You know more about this situation than I ever will and what it means to become a free man. Congrats to all Poles for the economic growth & democratic processes that have occurred in your native country over the past +/_ 16 years.

No need to apologize sir, I was merely pointing out a terminology-related technicality. Unfortunately the internet makes it difficult for things to come across clearly sometimes. :)

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Russia: Poland risks attack because of US missiles[/FONT]

And for all you boys out there who thought the Cold War was "over" .... and also for those of you who think the ChiComs are "manageable" or perhaps "they need us more than we need them" .... :)

*sigh* ... Constants; truths:

... it's good to see that some things just don't change ....
:)

So do you foresee any MIGs going down in flames in our immediate future, sir? :tongue2_1

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
12186421371218163121bf8.jpg

"It was the Georgian patrol boat P-21 Georgy Toreli that was hit by a "Malakhit" (SS-N-9) anti-surface missile from the Russian MRK Mirazh (617, project 12341, NATO - Nanuchka III) missile corvette. Another Georgian boat was damaged at sea. The Russian missile cruiser Moskva (121, project 1164, NATO - Slava class) was hit by gunfire and had to withdraw. The rest of the Georgian boats, incl. the missile boat Tbilisi, were shelled in Poti harbour on the 13th Aug, apparently abandoned by their crews. " lifted from another blog..Pickle

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/08/while-the-media.html

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Video of Turkish journalists getting shotup in their vehicle. Only injury was glass in one fellas eye. Couldn't find any proof whether it was Russians or Georgians doing the shooting.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=afa_1218829366

Pictures of war from a Russian forum ***some pics are very gory so be forewarned***

Attached are a couple pics, one of a Russian "war trophy" & the other is the Georgian airbase at Senaki getting bombed.

S/F

Attachments

• Humvee.jpg
    Humvee.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Senaki airbase.jpg
    Senaki airbase.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 63

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Wow, I guess our supply of the Georgian military was a little more significant than I thought. I had heard about the M-4s, but not hardbacks. interesting.

@Jarhead, what kind of Sam launcher is that sir? (yep you gussed it, I'm too lazy to go to fas.org) It looks similar to the one pictured in "Behind Enemy Lines".

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
what kind of Sam launcher is that? (yep you gussed it, I'm too lazy to go to fas.org) It looks similar to the one pictured in "Behind Enemy Lines".

Looks to me like the cannons of a Tunguska track;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9M311_Tunguska#Missiles

Yet more Red-on-Red equipment clashes. I wonder who would be willing to bet against the odds that Russian-manufactured SAMs brought down their own jets?

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Weren't the Afghan rebels at that time also known as the Taliban--even though they had a different agenda and were different guys?