• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighting in Georgia

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Very solid analysis. Good piece. I'm sure that being a "Russia expert" in intelligence these last 15 years or so has become sort of like being an expert Betamax repairman. Glad to see some of them are still in business.

Flags and borders may have changed, but the Russians haven't. The peculiarly Russian combination of paranoia, ultra-nationalism and inferiority complex still drives their decision-making.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
What's next? Are they gonna hand out passports to citizens of all their former territories and then roll in to "protect" them from their oppressing government(s)?

Well, we could negotiate. "Get out of Georgia and we'll give you San Fran. and Berkeley." :D

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Poland was not a Soviet Republic, and is currently a member of NATO...but I know what you were trying to say sir. :)

Didn't intend to suggest that Poland wasn't already a NATO member. On the other hand, only you & Gerald Ford seem to believe that Poland "pre-Glasnost" wasn't in the Soviet sphere. Don't mean to be a Sierra/Alpha, but Poland hardly was an independent nation under the old Soviet Union.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will Bush send a CBG into the Black Sea? Immpressive, but we'd better mean business if he does. TV is suggesting this, & Bush will make speech from White House in a few minutes.

Note: Pres. Bush just spoke. There will be a "vigorous & on-going U.S. military humanitarian response" in the area. Not sure what that'll be, but the idea of a Navy CBG looks like an overstatement at present.

Carriers can't go through the Turkish Straits, they are not allowed by the Montreux Convention that governs Turkish control of the Straits.

http://www.ntip.navy.mil/montreux_convention.shtml

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/naval-arms-control-1936.htm

Look for supply ships, maybe a hospital ship and possibly a DDG/CG/FFG or two to 'show the flag' there. Supplies and showing the flag are all we can really do in this situation, it is their front yard, not much else we can do. While the Russian Black Sea fleet is nowhere near the size it used to be, it is still big enough to cause a lot of trouble.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Look for supply ships, maybe a hospital ship and possibly a DDG/CG/FFG or two to 'show the flag' there. Supplies and showing the flag are all we can really do in this situation, it is their front yard, not much else we can do. ....
I wondered: is the Pres putting "humanitarian" USGI's into the theater as a trip wire ... a speed bump, if you will ... ??? Reasoning: bad form if the Rooskies shoot at our "humanitarian" guys ... ???

First thing I'd do is bump 'em out of the G8 ... that would seem like a no-brainer to me ...

All empty speculation w/ no consequences, of course. Ain't it great ??? :)

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
From the AP:

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] At the Beijing Olympics, Georgian women rallied Wednesday to beat their Russian counterparts in beach volleyball, the first head-to-head clash of the two nations. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]

(Note to self: not counting the current little dust-up near the Black Sea ... :))
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]

"Russia and Georgia are actually friends. People are friends," said the Georgian beach volleyball team leader. "But you know, it's not, in the 21st century, to bomb a neighbor country, it's not a good idea."

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Ahhhhh .... beach volleyball Valley Girl wisdom to end all wars ... the same the world over ....[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]:)[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]
[/FONT]
The best part is, the Georgian team is actually from Brazil. Go figure.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Didn't intend to suggest that Poland wasn't already a NATO member. On the other hand, only you & Gerald Ford seem to believe that Poland "pre-Glasnost" wasn't in the Soviet sphere. Don't mean to be a Sierra/Alpha, but Poland hardly was an independent nation under the old Soviet Union.

I agree wholeheartedly sir - having grown up in Communist Poland I was unfortunately very aware of that fact; I still remember waiting in lines for food, for hours at a time. The country was a puppet state and the populace suffered immensely because of it. The point I was making earlier is that it was not part of the USSR (unlike Ukraine, et. al.). :)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I agree wholeheartedly sir - having grown up in Communist Poland I was unfortunately very aware of that fact; I still remember waiting in lines for food, for hours at a time. The country was a puppet state and the populace suffered immensely because of it. The point I was making earlier is that it was not part of the USSR (unlike Ukraine, et. al.). :)

Then I apologize to you, sir, if you are a native Pole. You know more about this situation than I ever will and what it means to become a free man. Congrats to all Poles for the economic growth & democratic processes that have occurred in your native country over the past +/_ 16 years.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
"The Kremlin said the US must choose between partnership with Moscow, or with the Georgian leadership."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7559252.stm

hmm. tough choice. Democratically elected, friendly government...or stay 'friendly' with the Russians as they go back to the bad old days. real difficult here, vlady.