• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighting in Georgia

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I am convinced the Russians & Chinese think all westerners are gutless idiots.

we haven't done much in the past few years to discourage that idea. while we've been fighting the war on terra' the russians and chinese have been trying out their shiny new military toys. the incident with georgia didn't do much to discourage them. We told the bully on the playground that if they don't play nice with the little kids 17 more times, we might have to write their mommy a mean letter.

their military spending splurge has been financed by our own nation's rampant consumerism. we're spending ourselves into their pockets, which limits our leverage. China's biggest ally in any war for Taiwan: Wal-Mart. Russia's ally in a battle for East Europe: any European nation that uses gasoline. We beat them once with economics, turnabouts fair play.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
we haven't done much in the past few years to discourage that idea. while we've been fighting the war on terra' the russians and chinese have been trying out their shiny new military toys. the incident with georgia didn't do much to discourage them. We told the bully on the playground that if they don't play nice with the little kids 17 more times, we might have to write their mommy a mean letter.
The problem with Russia is the same problem as any schoolyard bully who is worth his salt. They both know what they can get away with and what will get them in no-kidding trouble. So right up to that line, they take as much of the little guy's lunch money as they can get their hands on. They know we don't have the political capital for an all-out war with them. Look at the open-source numbers on the Russian and Georgian militaries. They're beating up on a wimp to make a point. Capone would approve.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I am convinced the Russians & Chinese think all westerners are gutless idiots. Does the Russian foreign minister think anybody believes his BS story? If you say it long enough & often enough, will it become the truth? Maybe Mark Lemay had it right after all: just nuke 'em till they glow!

Wasn't it Curtiss Lemay??

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Weren't the Afghan rebels at that time also known as the Taliban--even though they had a different agenda and were different guys?

Negative. Afghan Rebels = Mujahadeen paid by us. Taliban = religious fanatics from neighboring pakistan that entered the power gap that opened after the russians left in '89.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Wasn't it Curtiss Lemay??

Thanks. I stand corrected. I'm not sure who that Mark dude was. Maybe I got to thinking of Mark 1 Torpedo. Maybe I was thinking of dropping sonobouys. Maybe I just wasn't thinking at all.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I was rubbing one out to the news announcer in this 20 sec video when I was disrupted by what is supposedly a Georgian Su-25 getting schwacked by a Russian SAM. Not much to the shootdown in the video but I did pause it at 1 sec so I could finish ...

At least the Russian media are jackasses like the American media when it comes to the military ... the article underneath the video states it was a Su-24 getting hit ... it's obviously a Su-25 and the Georgian's don't even have Su-24's.

SA-13 and 2S6
Correct

S/F

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Sounds like wishful thinking on the part of the Georgian sailors. :eek:
yea, I think somebody needs to lay off the crackpipe ... here's a video of the Moskva returning to Sevastopol. (nothing exciting, but you can see there's no visible damage)

Some pics ... the most disturbing is the last one. It's good to see the Russian and American squids have something in common ... :D

S/F

Attachments

• Moskva1.jpg
    Moskva1.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Moskva2.jpg
    Moskva2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 37
  • Moskva3.jpg
    Moskva3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Sevastopol women.jpg
    Sevastopol women.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 101

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Georgia on my Mind

A comment on a Yahoo message board has caught the eye of the world. A woman by the name of Jessica B, saying she is from Georgia, posted her brilliant thoughts about the conflict between Russia and Georgia. Here's what she posted,

"I live in georegia but i dont see rusia no where not even sound but they says theres tanks should i be worrie ... i herd on the news that rusia has invaded but i dont see them no where wats going on."

Now, many people are saying that this is just a hoax ... a way for somebody to embarrass us country folks down here the in good ole' South. Take it for what you will, but the UK seems to believe it's real.

robav8r

None
Contributor
A comment on a Yahoo message board has caught the eye of the world. A woman by the name of Jessica B, saying she is from Georgia, posted her brilliant thoughts about the conflict between Russia and Georgia. Here's what she posted,

"I live in georegia but i dont see rusia no where not even sound but they says theres tanks should i be worrie ... i herd on the news that rusia has invaded but i dont see them no where wats going on."

Now, many people are saying that this is just a hoax ... a way for somebody to embarrass us country folks down here the in good ole' South. Take it for what you will, but the UK seems to believe it's real.

Yep . . . my son started his junior year of high school recently and had a girl say pretty much the same thing. This conversation happened after a quiz of where all 50 states were on a blank map of the U.S. My son said that the majority of the class could barely label the states bordering on the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Pretty sad, but indicative of our public education system . . . .

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^Fog....are you that dude from the movie "Falling Down"?? Sometimes I think I could be that pissed too!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yep . . . my son started his junior year of high school recently and had a girl say pretty much the same thing. This conversation happened after a quiz of where all 50 states were on a blank map of the U.S. My son said that the majority of the class could barely label the states bordering on the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Pretty sad, but indicative of our public education system . . . .

In the public education system's defense, at one point I had to memorize the name and location of every country in each continent. If given any of those map quizzes today, I would fail.

I also had to memorize every state and state capital in elementary school. I would also fail that map quiz today.

This is coming from someone who was in honors/AP social studies all throughout grade school/high school.

Use it or lose it. No one in the job market, aside from history teachers and a select few other professions, gives a hoot if you can tag Uganda on a map, and being able to tag the approximate location of Lincoln, Nebraska isn't very useful to most people who live on the east coast, either.