• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighting in Georgia

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
^------- I dont know why I'm up, still can't sleep from the flight back in from San Diego..but I just saw this. The Russians are in the shit too..and a few of their soldiers have been killed in the fighting.

The UN Security council would not unanimously denounce the Georgians hostilities when the Russians asked them to.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
As we speak...Russian aircraft have begun bombing Georgian territory. According to the tv..so take that for what you will.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
This could get wider & much more violent quickly. Russia has obviously assured the 2 breakaway provinces that it will defend them & has considerable troops & air forces in the area. This has been coming for at least 2 years, and it's hard to say who shot first this time.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Those boys don't fuck around over there. The BBC videos of the rocket attacks are not something I would want to be on the receiving end. Thanks for the post Flash, it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

No link, but S. Ossetia and Abkhazia (another Georgian problem) have sort of a "mutual protection" pact. Abkhazia's leader was on RTVI this morning, stating as much. I'd look for them to possibly move next.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
MSNBC reported about a half hour ago that 4 Russian jets have been shot down, don't know if that's confirmed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MSNBC reported about a half hour ago that 4 Russian jets have been shot down, don't know if that's confirmed.

I would take almost every report like that with a grain of salt. Rarely are early reports from a war zone accurate.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I would take almost every report like that with a grain of salt. Rarely are early reports from a war zone accurate.

Just found a reference to that in an AP story - the Georgians are claiming 4 shootdowns, Russians are denying it. But you're right, it's too early to have much confidence in any reports on the details of the fighting.

Rocky3168

this seems to be more in response to their lack of support in hunting down Chechen rebels that hide in the Pankisi Gorges within Georgia's borders. Moscow has been scolding Georgia for their lack of support for years, but have also accused them of harboring the rebels. Not surprised that the Russians are actually doing something about it now.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Wtffffff. One of my best friends is from Georgia and is doing military service at the moment. I've gotta get a hold of him. =\