• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does College Major matter?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I transfered to ERAU after my freshman year at Boston University. ERAU is a good school, but it is completely focused on aviation. Every class, including math, business and engineering, is aviation-centric. ....

..... As a Marine officer you can fly, but if you don't you can also be a combat engineer, an intel officer, a platoon commander, etc.

MATH is aviation-focused? Do they have special textbooks that give weird word problems like, "...a twin engine helicopter burning 600 pounds per engine per hour flies 100 statute miles at 100 knots, lands in Tampa and buys Jet A at a price of $3.50 a gallon. What is the proper way for the pilot to close out his VFR flight plan?"

...and a Marine officer can also be an adjutant, disbursing officer, or ground supply officer. It ain't all FAST-roping and laser designators.

usmc_stud

pilot
As far as the math is concerned, you should be righting their textbooks, sir.

As for the options a Marine 2ndLt has coming out of TBS, I'd take any one of those over being a SWO (fast-roping is a part of Adj school, isn't it?).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This question has been asked many times.

True that...so many times and the answer never changes vvvvvv

But to repeat: As far as the Navy's concerned, your major doesn't matter. Nor does prior flight time. Major in what you enjoy or a field you'd enjoy working in if this Sailor thing doesn't work out.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Listen, man. I went to ERAU (enginerd, not a pilot). I heard the hype, and drank the koolaid as a freshman.

In hindsight, it's very clear to me that ERAU makes a LOT of money by perpetuating this notion that somehow "ERAU" on your degree makes you better than everyone else in aviation and that "employers know you're the best". Frankly, I know a LOT of unemployed pilot majors now. The ROTC units are no different. They tell their cadets/mids that they'll get picked up for aviation because "It's ERAU and we're the best, blah blah blah". It's complete and utter horsehit.

A dumbass grad with a shitty GPA from ERAU isn't going to get a pilot slot. It's that simple.

Do well with your GPA, get involved in your unit, kick ass on the ASTB, and you'll have nothing to worry about. Don't think that ERAU has the boards putting a check in some figurative box that puts you one step closer to a slot.

I'm an ERAU alumnus, and I'll make it very clear: ERAU DOESN'T INCREASE YOUR CHANCES with anything in aviation, especially military flight slots. A USC engineering grad with a good GPA will pick up a pilot slot 9/10 times over an ERAU flight major with a moderate/OK GPA. THAT simple...
Back when I was looking for an aviation school to go to I also looked into ERAU. I found a small college that cost 1/3 the amount of going to a big aviation university and I came out with the same certificates/ratings and bachelors degree as a pilot from any other 4 year would get only without being $80-$120 grand in debt. Not being that deep in debt has way more advantages than having a big name on your degree. This will give you the freedom to go where you want and really figure out what you want to do if you change your mind on the whole military thing down the road (not saying you will). Guys that deep in debt usually have to take the first job they can find, and are constantly stressed about paying off their loans while making $18,000 a year at the regional airline job they stumbled into just to pay the bills.

ERAU’s reputation in the industry is not what they want you to believe. I have a good friend who graduated from ERAU and he is a great pilot, but the buzz around the industry on ERAU grads is they are arrogant prima donnas who think they are better than everyone. I am sure there are great pilots and bad pilots alike that come out of there, just like any other school, but that is the real rep they have built over the years. At one interview for a bush job in Bethl Alaska I was asked if I graduated from ERAU. I told him "no", and he grumbled, "Good, those assholes get people killed."

My point is don't let the ERAU, "Our degree is better than the other guys" marketing get to you. If they offer what you really want and you have someone else paying the bill then go there. They have some great equipment and a lot of resources you may not find at smaller schools, but their reputation isn't what they make it up to be and the debt can make your life miserable once you graduate.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Back when I was looking for an aviation school to go to I also looked into ERAU. I found a small college that cost 1/3 the amount of going to a big aviation university and I came out with the same certificates/ratings and bachelors degree as a pilot from any other 4 year would get only without being $80-$120 grand in debt. Not being that deep in debt has way more advantages than having a big name on your degree. This will give you the freedom to go where you want and really figure out what you want to do if you change your mind on the whole military thing down the road (not saying you will). Guys that deep in debt usually have to take the first job they can find, and are constantly stressed about paying off their loans while making $18,000 a year at the regional airline job they stumbled into just to pay the bills.

ERAU’s reputation in the industry is not what they want you to believe. I have a good friend who graduated from ERAU and he is a great pilot, but the buzz around the industry on ERAU grads is they are arrogant prima donnas who think they are better than everyone. I am sure there are great pilots and bad pilots alike that come out of there, just like any other school, but that is the real rep they have built over the years. At one interview for a bush job in Bethl Alaska I was asked if I graduated from ERAU. I told him "no", and he grumbled, "Good, those assholes get people killed."

My point is don't let the ERAU, "Our degree is better than the other guys" marketing get to you. If they offer what you really want and you have someone else paying the bill then go there. They have some great equipment and a lot of resources you may not find at smaller schools, but their reputation isn't what they make it up to be and the debt can make your life miserable once you graduate.

Exactly. Even with friends of mine, I have to walk on eggshells when discussing this topic. I have one friend who graduated and was frustrated all to hell "I worked SOO hard to get this degree. I am a pilot from ERAU! I don't understand why it's SOO hard to get a great job!" Meanwhile I graduated in less time with an engineering degree than it took her to get her pilot degree. And she is probably not nearly as at fault for this crazy logic as it is ERAU's fault for fostering this environment of arrogance. She has, in certain vague ways, claimed she is probably a better pilot than I, despite the fact that I'm a Naval Aviator.

Ok, sure. Enjoy that retail job. I'll enjoy being in 1/3 the debt of she, and making at least 3-4 times what she COULD make if she found a job.

BTW... she's in grad school since she couldn't find a job except retail.... and she's going in for a Masters in Aero Engineering.... good luck. :rolleyes:

Not only does she think she's a better pilot, but she think can do a Masters in Engineering without an Engineering undergrad.... a little presumptuous I feel.

That's the ERAU mentality for ya.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
She has, in certain vague ways, claimed she is probably a better pilot than I, despite the fact that I'm a Naval Aviator.

Ok, sure. Enjoy that retail job. I'll enjoy being in 1/3 the debt of she, and making at least 3-4 times what she COULD make if she found a job.

How can she be a better pilot if she isn't flying? That seems ridiculous. Throw the BS flag next time.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
How can she be a better pilot if she isn't flying? That seems ridiculous. Throw the BS flag next time.

She can say shit like that in a backhanded way, but if I insinuate she's a less than stellar pilot or probably won't be able to complete her masters degree, she'll flip her shit. She can dish, but can't take. Hence why I've limited my conversations with her of late.

I figure, letting nature run it's course and seeing what happens in the next couple years ought to fix things. If she gets her masters and a sweet flying gig, I'll eat my words...

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Otto, all you did was Engineering at ERAU. I've flown with both ERAU CFIs and your average run-of-the-mill FBO CFIs. The ERAU CFIs always made it a pain in the ass. Which really translates to making me do what I should be doing and not being lax on procedures. Riddle may make flying a pain in the ass because they expect you to be on top of things, but I'd rather fly with that than with somebody who's sloppy.

Is it going to get you an SNA slot? No, you do that on your own. Your university, no matter where you go, simply helps you facilitate that. And anyways...it seems like any four letter word can get an SNA slot these days. People who had no prior interest in aviation suddenly show up with brown shoes and have no idea what an aileron is, much less what you do with it. It's really getting to bother me. But that goes back to my ERAU roots, I guess. You show up at ERAU and everybody loves airplanes. Even the youngest frosh can identify 12 types of military aircraft you didn't even know existed. You show up to Pcola and it's not the same.

No no...it's pronounced "pee tow"....ugh... :(

--edit--

I should add that I studied Engineering at ERAU, so I'm not saying any of this because I am $100k in debt because of the Riddle flight program. Just my observations, nothing more.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Otto, all you did was Engineering at ERAU. I've flown with both ERAU CFIs and your average run-of-the-mill FBO CFIs. The ERAU CFIs always made it a pain in the ass. Which really translates to making me do what I should be doing and not being lax on procedures. Riddle may make flying a pain in the ass because they expect you to be on top of things, but I'd rather fly with that than with somebody who's sloppy.

Is it going to get you an SNA slot? No, you do that on your own. Your university, no matter where you go, simply helps you facilitate that. And anyways...it seems like any four letter word can get an SNA slot these days. People who had no prior interest in aviation suddenly show up with brown shoes and have no idea what an aileron is, much less what you do with it. It's really getting to bother me. But that goes back to my ERAU roots, I guess. You show up at ERAU and everybody loves airplanes. Even the youngest frosh can identify 12 types of military aircraft you didn't even know existed. You show up to Pcola and it's not the same.

No no...it's pronounced "pee tow"....ugh... :(

--edit--

I should add that I studied Engineering at ERAU, so I'm not saying any of this because I am $100k in debt because of the Riddle flight program. Just my observations, nothing more.

What's your point. ERAU is just as good as any other Part 141/2 program. The discussion was about the unwarranted arrogance and relative average proficiency of most ERAU pilots. I have seen ERAU grads in all pipelines. Somehow I doubt that an ERAU commercial pilot AS grad is close to the proficiency of a fleet Naval Aviator.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I was pointing out where the average Riddle pilot gets some of their arrogance from. It's not completely without warrant. They do go through a lot of crap that they wouldn't have otherwise had to put themselves through if they went through some ramdom FBO.

And anyways, I never said anything about comparing ERAU pilots to Naval Aviators.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was pointing out where the average Riddle pilot gets some of their arrogance from. It's not completely without warrant. They do go through a lot of crap that they wouldn't have otherwise had to put themselves through if they went through some ramdom FBO.

And anyways, I never said anything about comparing ERAU pilots to Naval Aviators.

And I was saying that ERAU pilots have an attitude I've never seen from UND/Illinois/Aviation school grads in part 141 programs. It's obnoxious. JUST BARELY less obnoxious than people from Ohio State. :D

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Haha...okay, I'll give you that one. What I find is obnoxious are the guys who are barely scraping their way through IFS and still walk around with pompous arrogant attitudes. Ugh, sometimes I start to understand why people talk about shooting other human beings!!