• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does College Major matter?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
ANYTHING?????
2337964520_35a59afef8.jpg

Friend of mine, Harrier type, is taking a Marine UAV job in 29 Palms! Not just the AF anymore!

1) Yes, I'd do anything to be an aviator, even her if you'd like. :D
2) 29 Palms? UAV Pilot? That is the shittiest combination ever! One of the absolute worst places to live... although I'd probably live there if I had a choice since it's so close to home for me.

waldo20

just get a degree in something and pass the astb, there are lots of people with engineering degrees from Embry- Riddle or where ever who cant push the " I believe button" and wash out or have a tough time. History, English...... it doesnt matter

efini_kid

Aerospace studies major

I am applying for admission into Embry Riddle Daytona campus next fall. I will also be joining the NROTC program. i think its obvious from being on this forum that my final intention is to become a naval aviator. My question is: Does being an aerospace studies major in which you gain commercial flight certification improve your chances of contracting into the aviation field? My thinking is that it cant hurt.... I mean you learn to fly, gain some decent flight experience and become instrument rated on a multi engine aircraft. Does this look appealing to the acceptance board for SNA?

not sure if this is the right section so admin please feel free to move to proper location.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It certainly can't hurt, but it isn't like the air force which gives your application "points" for flight experience.

Personally I think two applicants with identical stats EXCEPT for one had an aerospace studies degree with a 3.5 and another had an aerospace engineering degree with a 3.5....

The Aero Engineer will take it every time. My suggestion is to get a degree in something that interests you and that you think you'd want to do if the Navy didn't work out. If that's still this aero studies major, then so be it. But DON'T do it only because you think it'll help your chances.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Take it from a senior at ERAU NROTC - and really hoping to pick up SNA soon. Major in the subject which you are most interested. Do NOT, try to please the Navy with a tech major or anything else, unless that is what you want to do anyway. You will best serve the Navy and yourself by majoring in your area of interest, as that is where you will excel the most. As far as Aerospace Studies is concerned, it gives no advantages in service selection. Tech majors, i.e. engineering, physics, etc. are the only fields that offer any kind of leg-up, but even then, they aren't a substitute for good grades.

As of right now, some prior flight experience can help as you progress into flight school (after commisioning) as I understand, but plays only a minor role in selecting aviation. The reasoning is that the Navy will teach you to fly as they intend. It is for this reason that they are considering no longer paying for the flight hours of scholarship Middies. Despite much talk, they still have yet to implement such a policy. Personally, I would love to be flying right now, even if it were just a Cessna.

Hope that helps. If you have anymore questions about Embry-Riddle or the NROTC unit, feel free to ask.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
IMO that school is too expensive for you to end up retraining for the Navy. My brother went there last year w/ a baseball scholarship and it was still around 10k a year (in state non-aviation degree, dunno the out of state prices). From what he tells me you aren't going to like the guy/girl ratio there, and even then some of the girls look like guys. If that is the degree you want for yourself though then by all means go for it. But as others mentioned, do what you would enjoy doing if the Navy doesn't work out for you. I hope your parents have $$!

navy09

None
OK based on your profile, I'm guessing that you want to transfer to ERAU and join NROTC in the College Program. Assuming I'm correct, here's my advice:

Assuming you pick up a scholarship, getting a pilot slot through ROTC is very, very easy- they don't care how many hours you have, every year hundreds of MIDN who don't know jack about flying get pilot slots.

So selecting pilot is easy, it's getting the scholarship that's hard. New rules have made the scholarship process highly biased towards technical majors. Basically, major in something you will enjoy- especially if it's technical.

I hope this helps. Do Aero Studies because you love it...it will not help you at all in getting a pilot and it will likely hinder your chances of getting a scholarship.

efini_kid

if it wont help me contract as a pilot or nfo then i most likely wont persue it. Im currently a history major and plan on gettin my masters in military history because that is my passion. i started looking into this program because i thought have flight training might help in the selection process for sna/ snfo but if it will have no impact on the selection process then there is no point to spend that much money. one good thing about being a history major is that i can attend law school afterwards and if the pilot thing doesnt work out, i can apply for jag.

i have a few other schools that i am looking at also...

coyote09

SSMR
pilot
My advice? go to a REAL university. It's what I would've done, had they not trapped me with this damn scholarship thing :icon_wink

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This question has been asked many times.

But to repeat: As far as the Navy's concerned, your major doesn't matter. Nor does prior flight time. Major in what you enjoy or a field you'd enjoy working in if this Sailor thing doesn't work out.

efini_kid

thanks for the information guys. if it wont help me then i dont think im gunna do it. my passion is History so i think i will stay with taht field of study.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
My advice? go to a REAL university. It's what I would've done, had they not trapped me with this damn scholarship thing :icon_wink

Perhaps you could elaborate on "real university." Anyway, no one held a gun to our heads when we signed our lives away for x number of years - drank the cool aid. ERAU is a very solid school and well respected in the industry. I have many gripes and voice them regularly, but I must say, we seem to get some preference when it comes to selecting pilot/nfo.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Perhaps you could elaborate on "real university." Anyway, no one held a gun to our heads when we signed our lives away for x number of years - drank the cool aid. ERAU is a very solid school and well respected in the industry. I have many gripes and voice them regularly, but I must say, we seem to get some preference when it comes to selecting pilot/nfo.

I went to ERAU and I can say: go to a "real school". Granted I got an engineering degree, and I think the curriculum was great, but I'd still recommend a bigger name school with a larger, more prestigious engineering department. You'll save thousands. Especially on state schools.

If you're going to ERAU to fly.... save your money and go to a local Part 61/141 FBO.

navy09

None
I have many gripes and voice them regularly, but I must say, we seem to get some preference when it comes to selecting pilot/nfo.

It's been said many times on here, if you think ERAU (or any individual school) gives you ANY advantage in service selection, you're kidding yourself.