• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does College Major matter?

jooman360

I did not know where to post this.I plan on applying for pilot and NFO through OCS. IF i do not get it after a million attempts i might apply for another officer position. I plan on getting my pilots licenses and going commercial if I cannot get into the Naval aviation. So my major just needs to be something I can fall back onto. I know the navy would prefer aviators to have a technical major, but I cannot handle the math past calc 1. So I am looking at doing a business major. Then I found economics but it it is considered a science at my college although it requires the business foundation courses required for all business classes. Also i think international relations looks interesting but that is not something i could reliably fall back onto. I guess I am really lost as to what i should do. Any advice?

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Pick a major that interests you and do your best in that major. How well you do in your major tends to be a better factor than what major you have. Unless you're getting into a very specific field in the Navy, Nuke etc., you don't need a technical major. Search around and you'll find that many guys here in the Navy and Marine Corps have a wide range of majors.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
First off try searching for your answers, they've probably been posted before.
Secondly, the Navy isn't the Air Force in that it doesn't prefer tech degrees. I have a few engineers in my API class but a few English majors and the like. The answer is study what you like, if you hate math, don't go down a tech road, if you like business, study that. I can't say for certain but I would imagine a high GPA would look better then a tech degree on an application.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I haven't paid much attention to OCS information as I'm not headed that route, but I think I remember hearing that you'd still need to have a Calc I/II background. This is where someone familiar with BDCP or OCS needs to correct me.

However, there are a number of ways to take the Calc I/II. It is not uncommon to have people take it online at their university (since it's a course offered at the host university it meets requirements), or take it over the summer at a community college, allowing you to focus on only one class and in sometimes a more forgiving grading system. If it's JUST the calc, don't let it scare you away.

But, if you can get away with not taking it, giv'r.

red1323

Pick a major that interests you and do your best in that major. How well you do in your major tends to be a better factor than what major you have. Unless you're getting into a very specific field in the Navy, Nuke etc., you don't need a technical major. Search around and you'll find that many guys here in the Navy and Marine Corps have a wide range of majors.

I am here to dispell the myth that you need a tech major to be a Nuke. So far, I've met an english major, a psych major, and a business major who are all Nukes. SWOs especially like to give their first tour DivO's jobs that have nothing to do with their majors. Do what you like and have fun in college, you'll get a better GPA and better stories and wind up making just as much as the next ENS.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I am here to dispell the myth that you need a tech major to be a Nuke. So far, I've met an english major, a psych major, and a business major who are all Nukes.

That's true. However, I'm willing to bet those guys were ROTC/USNA because the only thing Nuke requires is two semesters of calc, and two semesters of phyics...something the ROTC/USNA curriculum satisfies.

Going into a recruiter's office to apply for NUPOC as an English major? That'll be trickier because most english majors aren't going to take Calc/Phys if they don't have to.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't need a technical/engineering degree to be a Naval aviator. A good GPA is more important than the major. However, a 2.5 in basket weaving will be looked at askance, because the Navy wants to see a desire to challenge yourself and willingness to work hard.

Do your research, talk to an recruiter for officer programs (don't just walk into your local recruting center), stay in shape and work hard at whatever you're studying.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All the comments wrt major and an ocs/aviation app are correct. However, you will need to have a good grasp of math, through algebra and geometry and physics/mechanics. So, if you are a non technical major make sure you have a foundation in math physic and science from somewhere.

red1323

That's true. However, I'm willing to bet those guys were ROTC/USNA because the only thing Nuke requires is two semesters of calc, and two semesters of phyics...something the ROTC/USNA curriculum satisfies.

Going into a recruiter's office to apply for NUPOC as an English major? That'll be trickier because most english majors aren't going to take Calc/Phys if they don't have to.

The English major WAS USNA, not sure about the business major, and the Psych major was OCS who took Physics I and II AFTER graduation just to get into NUPOC and had the same amount of math as me (ENG major). You can apply as early as JR year (maybe Sophmore now, not sure, contact local recruiter) so some applicants ONLY have Calc I and II and Physics I and II, not exactly what I would call a "tech background."
Actually met someone who got a physics waiver because she was in her Physics II class at the time of the interview. I used to think I was special because I was an ENG, now I realize I just had harder classes in college than my fellow JOs (and I'd do it again in a second).

wana-be-aviator

?????college Major?????

Graduating from high school in a couple weeks and starting college in a couple month's. Now every officer tells me that i should major in something I want to major in because when it comes down to getting selected for a flight school spot your degree will not help you whether It's in Basket weaving or airospace enginering IT DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Is this correct or should I go for a degree that will stick out and help me get into flight school? Also what did you major in?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Graduating from high school in a couple weeks and starting college in a couple month's. Now every officer tells me that i should major in something I want to major in because when it comes down to getting selected for a flight school spot your degree will not help you whether It's in Basket weaving or airospace enginering IT DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Is this correct or should I go for a degree that will stick out and help me get into flight school? Also what did you major in?
Here's a place to start:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142436

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
"every officer" is right. Major in something that you're interested in and let the aviation chips fall where they may. If you really like math and science then engineering is a great major that will not leave you wanting for work if the flight thing doesn't work out for you.

Personally, I majored in International Business and Spanish because that was the best way to make the two years I spent in South America pay dividends for me in college. Plus, all the hot girls at my school were business majors. Important things to consider, wana-be.

In my class in Primary our majors ran the gamut. We had a couple of engineering majors, of course, but we also had Agricultural Management, Psychology, History, and Music. Hope that helps.

MED BOARD

Motivational Letter- Please review

I am applying for the MSC program for the second time and I was told to rewrite my motivational statement on why I want to be an MSC Officer. I wanted to see if some people can review and give me feed back.:eek:

- Reason For applying for a commission
- Personal and professional goals
- Strenghts/Personal characteristics you posses towards being an officer

My Statement​

This is my second time applying for the MSC program and I have reflected on my career and life choices over the last year. The accolades, training and knowledge I’ve acquired while serving in the Navy, has surpassed my expectations and prepared me to move towards a higher position of leadership. I have worked in the health care field for over 17 years and nine of my years as an enlisted sailor.
Throughout my career I have been placed in challenging position, appointed job assignments that were sometimes appointed to more senior enlisted. From serving as LPO at the first Triservice Dental Clinic, where I lead Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors and Civilian without regard to one’s uniform, but as one service who worked towards the same common goal. I’ve also served as a lead lesion where I have teamed up with foreign military healthcare personnel to deliver academic symposiums throughout Asia, delivered first rate results, even when communication was impossible. I was taught through these situations and others, that leadership is not defined by one’s uniform, insignia on one’s collar or patch on one sleeve. Leadership to me is about developing those under me to excel, without the lost of trust, respect or sound reasoning. I have had dynamic leaders throughout my career and for this I stand ready to lead as a Naval Officer in the United States Navy.

I understand the Navy need to develop and employ first line leaders to assist in medical planning, strategical operations through providing administration support to the fleet as well as surrounding medical treatment facilities. The Navy has shown me that patients, perseverance and dedication prevails. I desire to join the ranks as an MSC Officer and I will not let go of dream!

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
I am applying for the MSC program for the second time and I was told to rewrite my motivational statement on why I want to be an MSC Officer. I wanted to see if some people can review and give me feed back.:eek:

- Reason For applying for a commission
- Personal and professional goals
- Strenghts/Personal characteristics you posses towards being an officer

My Statement​

This is my second time applying for the MSC program and I have reflected on my career and life choices over the last year. The accolades, training and knowledge I’ve acquired while serving in the
Navy, has(cut "has") surpassed
my expectations and prepared me to move towards a higher position of leadership. I have worked in the health care field for over
17 years (and nine of my years as an enlisted sailor)(i would reword this"nine of which were as an enlisted sailor")[/quote].
Throughout my career I have been placed in challenging
(position, appointed job assignments that were sometimes appointed to more senior enlisted)(this could really benefit from rewording)[/quote].
From serving as LPO at the first Triservice Dental Clinic, where I lead Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors and Civilians without regard to one’s uniform, but as one service who worked towards the same common goal(this sentence should be reorganized to give it a claer focus)[/QUOTE]. I’ve also served as a lead lesion where I have teamed up with foreign military healthcare personnel to deliver academic symposiums throughout
Asia, delivered(delivering)
first rate results, even when communication was impossible.(I dont fully understand how communication being impossible is relevant, I can infer but you dont want me doing that because your not controling what message im getting from the sentence anymore)
I was taught through these situations and others, that leadership is not defined by one’s uniform, insignia on one’s collar or patch on one sleeve. Leadership to me is about developing those under me to excel, without the lost(should be loss) of trust, respect or sound reasoning(I think you are on the right track with your description of leadership just make sure your not undercutting the significance of the accheivements it takes to earn the uniform your trying to wear)
. I have had dynamic leaders throughout my career and for this I stand ready to lead as a Naval Officer in the United States Navy.
I understand the
Navy(Navys) need to develop
and employ first line(rate might be a better word?) leaders to assist in medical planning, strategical operations through
(providing administration)(cut and replace with administrative) support
to the fleet
as well as surrounding medical treatment facilities.
The Navy has shown me that patients, perseverance and dedication prevails. I desire to join the ranks as an
MSC Officer and I will not let go of (that) dream
!

I think you could use a little more focus on WHY you want the commision not just why your qualified,

not bad for a first draft,
i would recomend as you go through and you answer the questions i pose in your head that you use your answers to make the revisions.
also ask me if you have any problems deciphering my mess