• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current NFO surplus...

four o two

None
For better or, the site has turned into what is basically a ready room (as scoober mentioned), and if you keep beating your head against the wall w/ comments like the one quoted above, you'll just continue to get frustrated. And if you come into a real ward/ready room like that, game on. I only offer this as friendly advice and encourage you to continue to ask questions/search the site for whatever info you may find you need throughout your stay w/ the Navy. This place continues to be a great wealth of knowledge to me, even after 9 years.

Gator, I appreciate the advice, really I do, but whatever 'sarcastic' comments I make are only made in a satirical fashion of the 'lion's den' attitude that's held by so many around here. This is an internet forum, where I hope I can come, turn it off, and engage in some lively, informative & light-hearted conversation.

If that's not your style, great, but know that I don't take seriously the whole puffed out chest, "Now listen here, son"-attitude floating around here. Do I plan on going around and acting like a jackass in the ward-room and ready room? C'mon now. Like I said, it's a matter of turning it off and toning it down a notch. If I've learned anything from my current short-run in the Navy via my commission @ OCS and my short visit in A-pool thusfar, it's that meaningful relationships count the most. Making those relationships doesn't usually come with doling stern talking-to's and bossing people around on an online forum. JJDIDTIEBUCKLE for my fellow OCS'ers. :icon_wink

If I have come under and direct violation of rules of the forum, I'll take my licks like a man. Otherwise, I'm here to engage in meaningful discussion over all aspects of training, current and future. I respect all individuals here on the site who have something meaningful to share, and I recognize the fact that there are plenty of guys a lot older, more experienced and seasoned who I could learn a lot from, and I look forward to doing so.

So, now that that's out of the way, anyone planning on going to "Teens n' Marines" tonite @ Seville? I keed, I keed. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If I have come under and direct violation of rules of the forum, I'll take my licks like a man. Otherwise, I'm here to engage in meaningful discussion over all aspects of training, current and future. I respect all individuals here on the site who have something meaningful to share, and I recognize the fact that there are plenty of guys a lot older, more experienced and seasoned who I could learn a lot from, and I look forward to doing so.

No rules, per se, but what you (the plural you, not necessarily you, specifically, 402) will find when you get to your fleet squadron is that the senior JOs aren't going to tell you to do something, at least not right away. If they see a pattern of douche-baggery, they'll slowly break the offending person's will to fall into line so that they stay out of the line of fire of the real enemy, the dept. heads. Think of it as a big brother relationship.

A similar thing tends to happen here, some comments are made to allow for a course change. When that message doesn't sink in, the fatherly advice gets rolled out. Just the way it happens. As for turning it off, I hear you, but it's amazing how many people I've found on here that I either run into or have known at some point, so it has the potential to bite you in the ass.

Again, not necessarily directed at you, 402, just putting it out there, as sometimes people need to understand the whole picture.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
:D
What were you expecting when you post those kinds of questions here? I understand your intentions are good, but there's not much anyone here can do to confirm/deny or help with your scenario. If any policy changes are being made that effect you, NASC will disseminate them as appropriate. Until then, it's all speculation. Lots of bogus info gets posted here, especially from the Training Commands, so excuse us if we're a little spring-loaded to reject them when they're brought up.

Whomever is hassling the kid about NFO vs SNFO in his profile (I'm looking at you Flash) needs to get a life. The first time I ever even heard of SNFO was when I saw it on this site, and I certainly never referred to myself as such while in the TRACOMs. It's not worth getting all riled up about.

Brett

And if you pick up P-3s, youll earned the goldenboy title of "UMFO." Yes...life is gooooooooooooood when you Wing after 6 wks of crash course P-3. Although I feel its unfair to our Randolph contemporaries, I just do what I'm told :D Anyhoo, our class of UMFOs (5th edition) Wings april 30th. Wish us luck!

four o two

None
:D

And if you pick up P-3s, youll earned the goldenboy title of "UMFO." Yes...life is gooooooooooooood when you Wing after 6 wks of crash course P-3. Although I feel its unfair to our Randolph contemporaries, I just do what I'm told :D Anyhoo, our class of UMFOs (5th edition) Wings april 30th. Wish us luck!
I've heard the P-3 guys get winged real quick-like. Good luck!

efilemyr

SNA
Contributor
(2) for the last few weeks in the briefs on friday DAY 0. They have told all NFOs that if they graduate in the top 10%, and are medically qualified they can move over to SNA.

Just a slight correction, but I was told at my Day 0 three weeks ago that a SNFO in the top 10% would be able to submit a package. It is not a guarantee.

WEGL

So, what are you guys hearing? Of course there's all the usual gouge that comes along with rumors that NASC currently has way too many SNFO's on board, but what do you think will be in our near (and distant) future?

...just a question coming from an A-pooler supposedly slated to get into API around July(ish). :icon_smil

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, maybe I could have saved you a lot of grief.... Coming from a fellow A-pooler, I can I say I've heard this as well, back the first week of March, and I believe it's true. The DH over at my stash job is also an API instructor, he informed all of the stashes (though it doesn't really pertain to me) that sometime in the near future (he didn't know when but suspected 2 months max) that the min passing grade for SNFO's would be around 94%. Same deal as happened with the pilots a while back. The DH has been holding classes with the stashes gouging us up on the testable stuff. Sooo, take that for what it's worth...
Good Luck.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Sorry I haven't been on in a while, maybe I could have saved you a lot of grief.... Coming from a fellow A-pooler, I can I say I've heard this as well, back the first week of March, and I believe it's true. The DH over at my stash job is also an API instructor, he informed all of the stashes (though it doesn't really pertain to me) that sometime in the near future (he didn't know when but suspected 2 months max) that the min passing grade for SNFO's would be around 94%. Same deal as happened with the pilots a while back. The DH has been holding classes with the stashes gouging us up on the testable stuff. Sooo, take that for what it's worth...
Good Luck.

That really blows to hear the passing % going up for the SNFOs. Had that been in effect when I went through API last May, many of my NFO friends would not have Wings right now.

Its funny bc even here in the RAG we still reminisce of how sh!tty the API exams were compared to the exams we take now. I can be honest and say I hated the API exams. Well....except for NAV. Probably my most favorite subject. Drawing lines are fun. Especially when you hear "Ok folks, you have 10 mins left." The panic sets in when you still have 10 questions left and its the Nav log (happened to a friend of mine who attrited).

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
RetreadRand said:
This thread was pretty funny.

FEZZCB...you guys not go to Randolph anymore either? what are they doing with P-3 NFOs

Big Navy is sending randomly selected SNFOs from the INAV syllabus of Intermediate (Pcola) straight to the RAG (VP-30 in Jax). Since Randolph is on the chopping block, its to ease the transition from TX to Jax. We do have Winged Randolph folks that attend our course and critic it (observers).

We are then dubbed "UMFOs", go through 6 wks of crash course P-3 stuff (3 exams, 3 sims, no flights), Wing, then immediately start the CAT I NFO syallbus.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just hoping this supposed surplus doesn't affect those of us commission in 08 who want NFO...

defiant85

None
Who would this increase in minimum scores pertain to? Would it be those already in Pensacola waiting to class up or those set to arrive this summer? I must admit this seems a bit strange to me given the fact that since service selections came out for my unit in January, they've offered aviation to three people who wanted SWO.

ENSKitty

Though just idle gossip, one of the instructors said that sometime the Navy will just purge the lowest x% of pilots or nfos in flight school, regardless of what stage they're in (pre-winging). He said it's happened before with pilots and now might be the time for FOs... though, I heard that the passing score would only be bumped up to 90%. And then there's the other side, where the director of API told one of the students not to worry about only getting in the mid-80s for his exams because some of the most successful people don't do well on API exams.

Overall, I think it's stupid to worry about this. It hasn't come down that they're officially changing anything; if you do well, you don't have to worry; and if they would drop you, well, it wouldn't be the first time the Navy screws someone career-wise.