• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current NFO surplus...

four o two

None
So, what are you guys hearing? Of course there's all the usual gouge that comes along with rumors that NASC currently has way too many SNFO's on board, but what do you think will be in our near (and distant) future?

...just a question coming from an A-pooler supposedly slated to get into API around July(ish). :icon_smil

four o two

None
I've gotten some info from a few reputable sources in Flt. Mgmt. saying there's a probable increase in the required grade for passing API (80, going to ?) to 'weed out' NFO's. Word on the street is that there are 95 too many NFO's for the Navy's needs ATM. No idea on how 'solid' or how much of a 'will happen' factor that rumor has, but I know for a fact they are looking to change over as many NFO's to pilots as possible, because there's a need for pilots and not for NFO's. 5 NFO's (one a friend of mine) were called into the CO's office and offered pilot slots. True story.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I've gotten some info from a few reputable sources in Flt. Mgmt.

Classic...:D :eek: :sleep_125

What do I see in your future?

Go drink beer, don't suck on your API exams, go to NFO primary. If you don't suck...you won't have to worry. Honestly...If you can't get through a pile of 50 question multiple point exams...

four o two

None
Classic...:D :eek: :sleep_125

What do I see in your future?

Go drink beer, don't suck on your API exams, go to NFO primary. If you don't suck...you won't have to worry. Honestly...If you can't get through a pile of 50 question multiple point exams...
I plan to. Just seeing if anyone out there (mainly those currently in A-pool) knew anything about this.

Trust me, I'm the first guy to dismiss the rumor mill and the gouge you get day to day. :D I've gotten a ton of it in the past that proved to be totally untrue and utterly laughable. :tongue2_1

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I plan to. Just seeing if anyone out there (mainly those currently in A-pool) knew anything about this.

Trust me, I'm the first guy to dismiss the rumor mill and the gouge you get day to day. :D I've gotten a ton of it in the past that proved to be totally untrue and utterly laughable. :tongue2_1

People in A-pool are probably the last people you want to depend on to give you the truth on somthing like this. Not that they are bad people, they are just some of the scores of O-1's who are sitting around with nothing to do but start bad rumors.......

P.S. Aren't you a Student Naval Flight Officer?......re: bio.......

four o two

None
People in A-pool are probably the last people you want to depend on to give you the truth on somthing like this. Not that they are bad people, they are just some of the scores of O-1's who are sitting around with nothing to do but start bad rumors.......

P.S. Aren't you a Student Naval Flight Officer?......re: bio.......
Yes, I am a student. I graduated OCS in Nov., did IFS, and now am just sitting around, stashed, twiddling my thumbs and playing with cars, deep-sea fishing, etc. :icon_mi_1

four o two

None
:icon_smil Seriously though guys... let's make a clear distinction here before we get carried off on the 'A-pool gouge is never worth a crap' train...

Don't think for a second I don't take everything I hear around here with a major grain of salt. I've heard quite a few funny ones since I've joined the ranks of fellow A-poolers...

If you don't have IFS out of the way, you won't get stashed...

Huge money bonuses for making a lateral transfer to the USMC (heard figures from $25,000 to $60,000... lol)

Polish your brown shoes with black polish - it makes them 'shinier'

...just to name a few. Not a hit against A-pool in general, but it's amusing what some people come up with. That being said, yes, when I hear someone say, "Oh no dude! They're going to raise the NSS to a super-high level so it'll be UBER HARD to get through API! :bigeyes_1 ", I first ask where this so called 'reliable info' came from.

This certain tidbit regarding current "Fo's" waiting to class up seems believable since there is a MAJOR surplus of NFO's in A-pool. (heard around 95 or so) The CO did in fact call a friend of mine in along w/ 4 others (maybe they'll chime in?) and offer them pilot slots. Seems crazy, I know, but it seems like they're trying to fill pilot slots. The same guys were informed that there were currently too many NFO's on board, and something was going to have to be done about it. As far as specifics, one can only hypothesize... and that's what we do best I guess. :D

Huggy Bear

pilot
So, what are you guys hearing? Of course there's all the usual gouge that comes along with rumors that NASC currently has way too many SNFO's on board, but what do you think will be in our near (and distant) future?

...just a question coming from an A-pooler supposedly slated to get into API around July(ish). :icon_smil

Well, it is logical that we have too many NFOs. S-3s, Prowlers and tomcats have all fed/ are feeding into a much smaller (nfo wise) community. You would think that the powers that be would plan ahead as far as feeding the pipeline goes, but I would not be at all surprised to hear that we kept feeding too much into the sausage grinder. I have a lot of NFO friends who are having a tough time making department head. Bottom line, you are here, there are still NFO seats out there, and it is only yours to lose. Don't worry about the numbers.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
:That being said, yes, when I hear someone say, "Oh no dude! They're going to raise the NSS to a super-high level so it'll be UBER HARD to get through API! :bigeyes_1 ", I first ask where this so called 'reliable info' came from.

This certain tidbit regarding current "Fo's" waiting to class up seems believable since there is a MAJOR surplus of NFO's in A-pool. (heard around 95 or so) The CO did in fact call a friend of mine in along w/ 4 others (maybe they'll chime in?) and offer them pilot slots. Seems crazy, I know, but it seems like they're trying to fill pilot slots.

That sounds very much like the 04YG pilot slaughter that took place two years back... I'm not telling you to hit the panic button, but its been done before.