• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current NFO surplus...

Hursel110

None
Overall, I think it's stupid to worry about this. It hasn't come down that they're officially changing anything; if you do well, you don't have to worry; and if they would drop you, well, it wouldn't be the first time the Navy screws someone career-wise.

That is the most intelligent thing said so far in this thread.

haha, a few months ago, our MOI (the acting XO at the time because our XO was in afghanistan), a marine aviator, was supposed to ask all the guys who were selected SNA if they were sure we wanted to be an aviator and if we wanted to switch to SNFO

Kycntryboy

pilot
Well word is now that they have had an intel guy come down to try to convert some of the NFO's "if there having second doubts... (while being in APOOL?)..) and also through the vine is that they want to send some to SERE, but supposedly that is backed up as well. They just don't know what to do with the ones waiting... they are now taking groups of 50 to the museum on tours.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Exactly the attitude I'm going in with. :icon_mi_6

Wow, uptight much? :icon_roll I got the what seems to be 'official order' from the senior officer on the internets telling me to update my profile online, so I guess I'll go ahead and get that taken care of.

It wasn't signed by someone named Skeeterman, was it?

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
Well word is now that they have had an intel guy come down to try to convert some of the NFO's "if there having second doubts... (while being in APOOL?)..

Careful what you listen to. The 'intel guy' (Intel Placement/Accessions Officer) that was here the other day was in town for an NROTC board at NETC. He came by NASC at the request of the NASC Redes/Transitions O to speak to all of us here at NASC already slated for redes for our various reasons. A couple of TW5 and TW6 folks attended his little brief (presumably attrites as well). There was also at least one a-pooler, so there could have been more, but the 'intel guy' was not here to recruit excess SNFO's.

S3b_viking

Just to throw another rumor into the mix. When the CO of NASC came up here to talk to us right before we selected our report dates, he said that the NFO's should pick what they want, but be flexible because they might just take them all at one particular date instead of some every month. He said this was because then they could send them all to learn something like how to serve an admiral tea, and not just have them sitting down there doing nothing. That's what he said, I swear! I think it was what they were thinking of doing around that time (mid Feb), but I still don't think they know what to do with all of us.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Odd...when NASC came to USNA for service selection night in Late Feb...they mentioned a potential shortage of SNFOs in late april or early May that may require some SNFOs to slide to an earlier start date. That was it. The reason was CNATRA does not want training aids and IPs sitting idle on the ramp becasue someone wants a later start date.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Just to throw another rumor into the mix. When the CO of NASC came up here to talk to us right before we selected our report dates, he said that the NFO's should pick what they want, but be flexible because they might just take them all at one particular date instead of some every month. He said this was because then they could send them all to learn something like how to serve an admiral tea, and not just have them sitting down there doing nothing. That's what he said, I swear! I think it was what they were thinking of doing around that time (mid Feb), but I still don't think they know what to do with all of us.

I heard similar gouge but the current guidance coming from the detailer indicates a normal reporting process for SNFOs (i.e. staggered reporting from June to November) in order to favor the frontloading of SNAs.

Heloanjin

pilot
I heard similar gouge but the current guidance coming from the detailer indicates a normal reporting process for SNFOs (i.e. staggered reporting from June to November) in order to favor the frontloading of SNAs.

Just so you know, SNFO loading is not influenced by SNA loading. The Navy starts the number of SNAs and SNFOs they need when they need them. If SNAs were front loaded, that would mean the Navy was starting too many too early. Doesn't work that way today.

Staggered reporting is done for all student aviators (SNA and SNFO) because the Pensacola bar scene can't handle 2000 horney Ensigns/1st Lts with too much disposable income.

S3b_viking

Odd...when NASC came to USNA for service selection night in Late Feb...they mentioned a potential shortage of SNFOs in late april or early May that may require some SNFOs to slide to an earlier start date. That was it. The reason was CNATRA does not want training aids and IPs sitting idle on the ramp becasue someone wants a later start date.

He said the shortage was for SNA's and that's why they had two June dates and why they were pushing it so hard to all of us.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Careful what you listen to. The 'intel guy' (Intel Placement/Accessions Officer) that was here the other day was in town for an NROTC board at NETC. He came by NASC at the request of the NASC Redes/Transitions O to speak to all of us here at NASC already slated for redes for our various reasons. A couple of TW5 and TW6 folks attended his little brief (presumably attrites as well). There was also at least one a-pooler, so there could have been more, but the 'intel guy' was not here to recruit excess SNFO's.

Not trying to get in a pissing contest but...The OIC of APOOL told directly to APOOL black and white if your having second doubts this would be the time to talk to this guy. This coming from my friend who has been there for 6 months in the Pool, I just talked to him to reconfirm this. The Intel guy told the Apoolers that "going intel was a common occurance for aviators who wash out going through training."
r/
Clay

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
Reading this thread has convinced me that more than likely, given the different posts that seem to contradict each other that at least some of this gouge is incorrect. Consequently, I'm not going to worry too much until I get to Day 0 and find out what the passing grades are going to be.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He said the shortage was for SNA's and that's why they had two June dates and why they were pushing it so hard to all of us.

Perhaps, but the fellow I was talking to was doing NFO bean counting...could be SNA...

As with all rumors, believe none of them, pass along all of them.

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
Not trying to get in a pissing contest but...The OIC of APOOL told directly to APOOL black and white if your having second doubts this would be the time to talk to this guy. This coming from my friend who has been there for 6 months in the Pool, I just talked to him to reconfirm this. The Intel guy told the Apoolers that "going intel was a common occurance for aviators who wash out going through training."
r/
Clay

Fair enough. Either the Redes O isn't shooting straight with us, or the word that this guy was coming down was spread a little further as a means to help relieve a little SNFO pressure due to overmanning. I don't deny the overmanning thing, I (and at least four others) were not allowed to redes from SNA to SNFO because of overmanning in YG06.:( The Director of ATS told us that the pipeline had 85-100 too many bodies. Take it with a grain of salt.

Caution might be advised for those who are considering pursuing other communities over the SNFO seat they currently occupy. You most probably would be gambling, as redesignation into another community would require a DOR and would leave you subject to the ever-fickle needs of the Navy. Apply more salt.