• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think it's this thing boomers use to install apps and play music.
never-use-your-dvd-drive-as-a-cup-holder

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I have a pet theory that the word "disk" with a letter k started from computer people who were bad spellers and the word "diskette" is post diction. The Unix command "sudo" is another one.
Disc comes from Old English disc, which is derived from the Latin discus. Disk from Old Norse diskr, which is from Ancient Greek δίσκος (dískos). Their meaning is interchangeable as they both represent a round plate for food or a flat round plate for throwing. A floppy disc is flat and square but it's simply a protective covering for the round, flat, magnetic disk inside. The original computer discs were 8 inches and had little structural rigidity which caused them to be dubbed "floppy disks." They later came out with a smaller 5.25 inch floppy disc and, subsequently, the hard-cased 3.5 inch "diskette." By the time they had the 3.5 inch diskette, the word "floppy disc" had become as ubiquitous as eponyms like Xerox and Kleenex, so it stuck. "-ette" is a suffix from Old French to define something smaller than the original -- kitchenette, cigarette, towelette, or micropenisette.

Yes, I'm currently procrastinating my CBTs....?

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Disc comes from Old English disc, which is derived from the Latin discus. Disk from Old Norse diskr, which is from Ancient Greek δίσκος (dískos). Their meaning is interchangeable as they both represent a round plate for food or a flat round plate for throwing. A floppy disc is flat and square but it's simply a protective covering for the round, flat, magnetic disk inside. The original computer discs were 8 inches and had little structural rigidity which caused them to be dubbed "floppy disks." They later came out with a smaller 5.5 inch floppy disc and, subsequently, the hard-cased 3.5 inch "diskette." By the time they had the 3.5 inch diskette, the word "floppy disc" had become as ubiquitous as eponyms like Xerox and Kleenex, so it stuck. "-ette" is a suffix from Old French to define something smaller than the original -- kitchenette, cigarette, towelette, or micropenisette.

Yes, I'm currently procrastinating my CBTs....?

View attachment 25387
5.5"? I know it's ancient history, but check your sources/ruler.

And in the middle of such a nerdy post. Sigh.

Jim123

pilot
5.5"? I know it's ancient history, but check your sources/ruler.
The internet remembers forever.

And I first owned my very own 5¼" disk back in 1984, when a lot of these whippersnappers were but a gleam in their daddy's eyes. I carried it to the school library in a paper sleeve, which was the style at the time...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Unix command "sudo" is another one.

That has a meaning? I thought it was just "sudo." As in "sudo make me a sandwich."

Also, what is this "Unix" thing? Is that like expensive Linux? :p

Jim123

pilot
View attachment 25390

That has a meaning? I thought it was just "sudo." As in "sudo make me a sandwich."

Also, what is this "Unix" thing? Is that like expensive Linux? :p
sudo ~ pseudo

According to wiki it's short for "superuser do," (sudo kill, sudo mv, etc.) so maybe I'm wrong on this one.

Expensive Linux- :D

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor

And I first owned my very own 5¼" disk back in 1984, when a lot of these whippersnappers were but a gleam in their daddy's eyes. I carried it to the school library in a paper sleeve, which was the style at the time...

Did you also have an onion tied to your belt?

brownshoe

Contributor

Shit... my first computer was an IBM XT with two 51/4" drives.:)