• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Pags

N/A
pilot
having the title Dr in front of your name doesn't necessarily make you an expert in all fields of medicine. Having a couple of guys who own a doc in a box comment on Doctor Fauci is like having a guy who owns a Cessna talking about F-35 or NASA design decisions. Sure the Cessna guy may have more hours (patients) but it turns out that's not relevant when it comes to determining how to do a reentry or get to Mars or integrate multiple complex mission systems.

SlickAg

pilot

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has a single city's hospitals come close to over run? Even in NYC, hospitals designated as primary for COVID care have been famously busy, but other hospitals representing hundreds of ICU beds are open. Of primary concern was to not over tax hospitals. If we have not and have beds in reserve, then relaxing some mitigation should not compromise that goal, met to date.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Serious question: If someone wanted to challenge the Constitutionality of a mayor’s/governor’s order related to coronavirus, but the state and municipal courts are all closed due to coronavirus orders, how does the legal challenge get heard?

Last edited:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Definitely, but they sure as hell don't know as much as an epidemiologist and the the countless other experts in viral diseases that disagree with their claims.
The modeling of COVID-19 spread is a math and computer programming problem, not a medical doctor problem.

When the 95% CI for deaths in 3 months spans 88-300k, we need to have the maturity to just say that we don't know what's going to happen. Or perhaps consider a simpler model based on recent historical data.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I am not a dyed-in-the-wool Republican, but I have a lot of South Park-ish libertarian tendencies.

BLUF*: The flip side of that "need for increased social safety nets" coin is we need to take a serious look at government red tape vs. liberties.

There are currently a sh*t tons of regulations preventing someone from opening up a barber shop in their garage to help earn extra money if they are out of work. First, the barber shops are all closed by governors' orders. Second, there is probably some sort of license and inspection process to get approval, which isn't happening these days. Why can't that out-of-work barber shave a few heads to make an extra $50 or so a day to make ends meet, without worrying he/she might lose their barber license if discovered?

Okay, yes it could lead to accidental unsanitary conditions for customers, it's not great for social distancing right now, and it's maybe not enough money to replace a full time job and solve the root problem of un-/under-employment, but let the man or woman work and let their customers decide the risk. People are resourceful. They will find a way to survive. A lady in my neighborhood started making masks with colorful fabric patterns and selling them at $15 a pop, incl. delivery within 5 miles; she said she is selling about 10x masks per day and it takes her about 5-6 minutes per mask to manufacture and raw materials are about $3 per mask.

When I was a kid in the early 80's, you could take a case of candy bars (for boy scouts or little league baseball) to the 4H Fair or sell them door-to-door without getting thrown out or accosted by some local official. These days, we have cities and counties shutting down front yard lemonade stands for lack of a permit. I sort of get the whole craze around "SaFeTy!?>!?" e.g. using government's apparatus to protect diners against rats/mold in restaurants, but in many other areas I actually don't get it, and see this as the civic version of wearing a reflector belt just to run on a 800m track.

*because apparently we need a BLUF on AW.com now:rolleyes:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When the 95% CI for deaths in 3 months spans 88-300k, we need to have the maturity to just say that we don't know what's going to happen.
It is courage lacking there. No so much maturity. Something else we can use much less of is arrogance and hubris. But hey, Phds and MDs.