• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corvette ZR1

Redux

Absolutely, opinions along with some facts make a good blend and my opinions aren't necessarily wrong I don't think. A nice 69 Mach can be had for < 25K easily if one seeks. Traction and shit tires were the biggest handicap back in it's day. They came in both Windsors and FE big blocks so the sky is the limit in excess of 600 HP street in the 10K range! Will they ever out handle the new Vette, never but they were never known or bought for those qualities. MOPAR and GM had just as many if not more shit and get machines as well.

There are LOTS of events dedicated to the age of muscle, I'd like to see this but Detroit? http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/events.html :eek: I also like living even more. I do manage this every year Carlisle Pa. is another great place for serious eye candy!

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I know they're GREAT performers but for the same money + or - a bunch why not a classic Shelby, Z 28 or something along those lines? Yes, the ZR is certainly faster but contemporary looks just aren't the same as classic lines. Each his own for sure but just sayin. :confused:

I have driven all kinds of cars that the muscle car lovers get all wet over. GNX.....GTX....Road Runners....Cudas.....Z28's.....60's vettes....etc. I wouldn't own one of them. They are slower, handle like (frankly) crap, and much less capable than a modern car like the aforementioned C6 ot the like. I see the appeal, but they don't do it in any way shape or form for me. I buy a sports car for its capability, not nostalgia.

Not hating on the classic car peeps, just explaining why people like me would rather (honestly) drive a modded celica than a 69 Z28.

A few running low 11's to my possible high 11's really brings it down to the driver ...That is a whole second faster then me right now. With all my newest mods it will be a close race. But once you get into the tripple digits my truck really becomes a brick wall trying to push air around.

A half second at over 100 MPH isn't a close race, visually. And the launch mode in the ZR1 should help a little, although it is just a suspension setting adjustment. Granted, stoplight to stoplight I don't see many people --thank God--doing full 1320 runs.

I totally dig your truck, but I have to agree that it would surprise a ZR1 as he showed you his tail rather quickly.

A while ago I saw a video of a school bus smoking the quarter. THAT was a sleeper....

CAMike

None
Contributor
SemperGumbi- Put a haze gray paint job, a tailhook and some on decals on that bus and you'd have a nice squadron vehicle. Sort of along the lines of the VMFA 323 bus at Miramar. Maybe not -base Pass and Decal would likely have issues with it.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
SemperGumbi- Put a haze gray paint job, a tailhook and some on decals on that bus and you'd have a nice squadron vehicle. Sort of along the lines of the VMFA 323 bus at Miramar. Maybe not -base Pass and Decal would likely have issues with it.

The bus? You mean you don't think it's stock?

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
Yup, I'll agree you can wring more out of a modern mill with all the technocrap but they're lacking style compared to yesterday IMHO.

I might just have to disagree with you on that.

I love Mustangs. I've owned three "classics" and two modular Cobras, but I can think of at least one modern car that has more style then any "classic" muscle car.

Best Regards,
Waldo

VIZKRIEG

KILL

I love Mustangs. I've owned three "classics" and two modular Cobras, but I can think of at least one modern car that has more style then any "classic" muscle car.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Is that yours Waldo?

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
A half second at over 100 MPH isn't a close race, visually. And the launch mode in the ZR1 should help a little, although it is just a suspension setting adjustment. Granted, stoplight to stoplight I don't see many people --thank God--doing full 1320 runs.

I totally dig your truck, but I have to agree that it would surprise a ZR1 as he showed you his tail rather quickly.

A while ago I saw a video of a school bus smoking the quarter. THAT was a sleeper....

A half second is huge, A full second even more. But that surprised ZR1 driver just needs to hesitate for a second or two and then it becomes a tight run on the street. At the track I'm dead. I also agree that a ZR1 will spank me in a heads up race. Especially from a roll or at any type of highway speeds. I just love to stay with them in a 2 ton truck to see the look of WTF.

Rossi

My 12.4 was with the turbo. Best NA run was 12.7 @ 108 with low DA. Low 10's on street tires is hard. A few running low 11's to my possible high 11's really brings it down to the driver. What the vehicle is capable of and what it really does with an average driver are 2 different things. Once bad launch, mis shift, etc and anything can happen on the street. Motortrend says ZR-1 1/4 mile is 11.3. That is a whole second faster then me right now. With all my newest mods it will be a close race. But once you get into the tripple digits my truck really becomes a brick wall trying to push air around.

I couldn't agree more with this post, you speak with knowledges. I wouldn't blink twice if you told me me you edged out a ZR1 from a dig on the street, or if you told me it put bus lengths on you. The driver Mod. really does count for so much, and its like a box of chocolates. The ZR1 is a true factory animal though, and even an average driver would destroy you from a roll, especially, like you said, once you get up into the triple digits.

Thanks for posting the video of your runs, that was a great watch. Your truck moves out down low. No matter what the outcome, it would be fun to watch you line up against a ZR1. Like you said in your last post, the look on his face would be worth the $176.84 in gas you two would use.

Redux

Best Regards,
Waldo

Sure, it's pretty but at what cost?

Lawman

None
Sure, it's pretty but at what cost?

About a quarter of a mil. The dentist that bought our first Black Challanger (50K deposit) has one of these and a Ferrari. Definately a head turner but he has said after about 20 minutes sitting in what Ford calls a seat you want out of the car like nobodys buisness.

Redux

About a quarter of a mil. The dentist that bought our first Black Challanger (50K deposit) has one of these and a Ferrari. Definately a head turner but he has said after about 20 minutes sitting in what Ford calls a seat you want out of the car like nobodys buisness.

Ahhhh, a practical car for the masses. ;) Sounds like the nowadays version of the autogyro, everyone was to own one you know.

A loaded to the gills Challenger MSRP is considerably less, correct? Poor fools if they need to unload, remember those buried in the bucket that bought PT Cruisers for over MSRP, they were married to them.

ColdSteel

You can't spell lost without Lt.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Modern? Ha that thing is a blast from the past that Ford resurrected. The GT40 was Ford's answer to Euro racing to compete with Ferrari after then "almost bankrupt" Ferrari said no to Ford's offer in buying them out. Its amazing that car is 40 years old and still looks modern in todays standards. But for 150k watch out the new 600hp Vipers at 90k will give it a run for their money.

Redux

Modern? Ha that thing is a blast from the past that Ford resurrected. The GT40 was Ford's answer to Euro racing to compete with Ferrari after then "almost bankrupt" Ferrari said no to Ford's offer in buying them out. Its amazing that car is 40 years old and still looks modern in todays standards. But for 150k watch out the new 600hp Vipers at 90k will give it a run for their money.

1966 to be exact, by golly, the same year they introduced the classic Hemi Charger! ;) Some classic from the 60's are timeless like I was trying to say.