• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corvette ZR1

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
Sure, it's pretty but at what cost?

Less then the cost of a '65 GT-350. (A dream car that has always outpaced my ability to afford one!)

If you think I'm knocking muscle cars or "classics", I think you've misconstrued my response. I can appreciate anything that quickly turns dead dinosaurs into tire smoke and friendly warnings from uniformed members of law enforcement. Old, new it doesn't matter. It's all good.

My point was there are a few modern cars out there that have soul.

Definately a head turner but he has said after about 20 minutes sitting in what Ford calls a seat you want out of the car like nobodys buisness.

Actually, it's what Sparco calls a seat. And they're about perfect. 20 minutes in a GT... sheesh. He should try 9+ hours strapped into a Harrier.

...watch out the new 600hp Vipers at 90k will give it a run for their money.

As will a stock ZR-1. There's always something faster...

Best Regards,
Waldo

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
1966 to be exact, by golly, the same year they introduced the classic Hemi Charger! ;) Some classic from the 60's are timeless like I was trying to say.

:) Touché.

Actually introduced in 1963. The first win at Le Mans was in '66. Followed by victories in '67, '68, and '69.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Lawman

None
But for 150k watch out the new 600hp Vipers at 90k will give it a run for their money.

I had some jack (industry term for useless non buying joy rider) take an SRT-8 Charger out for a quick spin. Thats a test drive that a Sales manager signs off on before you even drive the car off the lot mind you. After the drive he actually said "How different would a viper drive?" At that point you just have to laugh. My responce was "like a 90K dollar rocket ship... They arent even in the same class."

Redux, to answer your question Challanger will start at 22K for the base V6 model and climb from their. A 370hp R/T will only run you into the bottom 30K mark without the big ticket options. A fully equipped SRT will actually only run you to the mid 40's. Extreamly competative for a 425 HP monster with better all round handling (thanks to a fully independent suspension and Brembo brakes) than either of its two major competitors.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
If you want an affordable sports/exotic then the Lotus Elise or Exige are the cars to look at. Starting around $40,000 you get a true lightweight sports car with incredible handling that will give a Porsche a run for the money.

lotus-exige-s.jpg

But hell, if you can afford a ZR1 then have at it. Personally, if I were in the ZR1 range I might consider the new GT-R from Nissan instead - if I were looking for the best "sports car" in that class.

Redux

Less then the cost of a '65 GT-350. (A dream car that has always outpaced my ability to afford one!)

If you think I'm knocking muscle cars or "classics", I think you've misconstrued my response. I can appreciate anything that quickly turns dead dinosaurs into tire smoke and friendly warnings from uniformed members of law enforcement. Old, new it doesn't matter. It's all good.

My point was there are a few modern cars out there that have soul.

Best Regards,
Waldo

OK Shipmate, we're on the same page now but please clarify, VERY FEW! I can't really think of any really but getting back to my original post, WTF can work on them? :)

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
OK Shipmate, we're on the same page now but please clarify, VERY FEW! I can't really think of any really but getting back to my original post, WTF can work on them? :)

I think a lot will depend on your personal preferences. Mustang fans will offer up the GT-500/KR/Super Snake, Corvette fans the C6 ZO6 and the ZR-1, Dodge fans the Viper, Porsche fans the GT-3, etc. I would also offer up the Z-8, Boxster/Cayman, and Elise/Exige.

As for working on them, that will depend on your level of mechanical abilities. Instead of tuning a carb, you re-map fuel and ignition curves on a laptop. Headers are headers. Brakes are brakes. Sure some things are more complicated, but there are a lot of guys tuning their newer Mustangs to make tons of power.

Best Regards,
Waldo

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
But hell, if you can afford a ZR1 then have at it. Personally, if I were in the ZR1 range I might consider the new GT-R from Nissan instead - if I were looking for the best "sports car" in that class.

Ummm....not to sidetrack, but the ZR1 toasts the GT-R. I am not sure how aware you are that the initial GT-R seen in all the magizines and lapping the ring super fast appears to be a highly modified version of the actualy car. The newest GT-R tests show it as very capable, but not nearly what the "original" one was. 480hp vs damn near 4000lbs. But I digress. And in the right forums this topic alone is like talking about politics.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Maybe this is the wrong thread but I wanted to get some advice. When I graduate OCS (WHEN not if) I need to get rid of my old college car "1995 GMC Jimmy" and get something else. I was thinking of rewarding myself with a new ensignmobile, but lately have been considering getting a classic car. I'd love to have a new car with all the bells a whistles but I'm going to be paying a crapload of money on student loans, plus I would LOVE to have a 68-72 Chevelle or Camaro, or maybe a late '70s Firebird.

The question lies in this - my Dad says I'm better off to get a cheaper new car because I won't want to be spending all my time with maintenance on a classic. Advice?

Redux

Maybe this is the wrong thread but I wanted to get some advice. When I graduate OCS (WHEN not if) I need to get rid of my old college car "1995 GMC Jimmy" and get something else. I was thinking of rewarding myself with a new ensignmobile, but lately have been considering getting a classic car. I'd love to have a new car with all the bells a whistles but I'm going to be paying a crapload of money on student loans, plus I would LOVE to have a 68-72 Chevelle or Camaro, or maybe a late '70s Firebird.

The question lies in this - my Dad says I'm better off to get a cheaper new car because I won't want to be spending all my time with maintenance on a classic. Advice?

Like the commercial says, what's in your wallet? I like "old" because they're mechanically simple for the most part and aftermarket stuff is easily available and cheap. My nowadays truck would go to the local GMC dealership outside of oil changes. I wouldn't take it to small independents because they don't get the updates nor can they afford the correct diagnostic equipment. <waiting for the flak on this one> :) Conversely there isn't much I wouldn't be afraid to tackle on 60's vintage machines outside of AC woes and if time and energy wasn't a consideration.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I wouldn't take it to small independents because they don't get the updates nor can they afford the correct diagnostic equipment. <waiting for the flak on this one> :)

It does make me curious if you have tried getting the Helms and actually attempting any repairs on the truck. They really aren't THAT complicated. Just different.

Redux

It does make me curious if you have tried getting the Helms and actually attempting any repairs on the truck. They really aren't THAT complicated. Just different.

Knock on wood, no I haven't because I haven't needed to. It's an 04 Sierra and been to dealership twice in 50K miles, tailgate and steering knuckle recall I think. Maybe I resist change and prefer same over different. :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want an affordable sports/exotic then the Lotus Elise or Exige are the cars to look at. Starting around $40,000 you get a true lightweight sports car with incredible handling that will give a Porsche a run for the money.
I would LOVE to drive one of those someday. Coming up to Whidbey I was behind an Exige on the Pacific Coast Highway coming into Big Sur. But whoever it was was out on a Sunday drive, not to open it up in the curves. Oh, well.

That said, it's not a Vette and not an Elise, but I love my 8. I test drove the Stang, the RSX-S, and the WRX, but nothing in the price range that I could find was as flat-out fun to drive. Sure, if I was king, I'd increase the gas mileage and up the low-end torque, but that's why God invented the manual transmission. Numbers ain't everything. For the price, it's a great buy. No reliablility issues whatsoever as long as you check the oil and don't put it away cold.

brownshoe

Contributor
But that's the beauty of the classic American Muscle, nearly ANYONE could fix any fuel or ignition problem. Nowadays, open the hood and it's WTF, they still use spark plugs....somewhere.........right? :).

No argument from me, I agree. But you don’t have to go back to the 60’s, although that’d be nice.:) I’ve an 86 GMC Sierra with a 350. That baby gets 20 MPG on the road. It has a carburetor, spark plugs and no computers, easy to maintain. Trick is, I’ve gotta keep my foot outta the carb and the cam to get that MPG. A few modifications have been done.;)

Steve

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 21