• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conscientious objector pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
*sigh* .... I just wanna' bomb gomers ... :)

praiseandpasstheammo.jpg

*Jumps up and down repeatedly with hand raised*

Me! Me!

:D

rare21

pilot
Contributor
please guys dont send any CO to the law enforcement side. Knew a rookie that just wanted to do wrist locks and arm bars to everyone that resisted. Once he found that that wouldnt work after he lost a couple of teeth at a bar fight, he up and quit. Violence is a day to day thing here. Go EMS or fire dept...they fly too and more often it seems.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The military, Coast Gaurd included, is no place for a CO, period. Nothing wrong with your views but this isn't the club for you.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I never said anything about not being willing to go into combat. I have no issue with being shot at it to save someone else. I am a religious man and dying to save somebody else is just about the best thing I could ask for.

Don't berate me for at least trying to help this country in whatever way I can while there's people that have been giving a hell of a lot more than I have and have never once even thought about giving back. All I did was ask a god damn question and all I wanted was some answers, not for someone to bite my head off.

Seemingly you can't even handle some easy banter on the net. Religious man who likes to use the term Goddamn? Interesting.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just to remind you chest-beating knuckle draggers that a guy named Alvin York was a con. objector--you might have heard of him.

The story of Sergeant Alvin York is a bit more complex and hardly applies here. He was a heavy drinker and saloon brawler until a friend was killed in a bar fight. He then abided by his mother's wishes and practiced a Pacifist form of Christianity.

When conscripted, he applied for CO status, but it was initially disapproved and he went into the Army during the Great War (later called World War I). SO he was NOT given CO status when he joined the service. Later, when CO papers came through approving his request, he turned it down. So when it was offered, he disclaimed his desire to seek CO status.

Conscientious_Objector_Claim_of_Appeal_for_Alvin_Cullum_York.gif

During a critical part the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, as a corporal, he was part of 17 man patrol sent to infiltrate German lines to relieve pressure on his unit, which was pinned down by well conecealed machine positions on an overlooking ridgeline. They met with intial success outflanking the strong German position and surprising them from behind and taking a great number of prisoners. However, the deadly machine guns on the ridge saw what was happening and opened fire leaving Corporal York in command after the three non-commissioned officers were all hit by enemy fire. York put the seven surviving members of his patrol in charge of guarding the prisoners as he worked his way along the ridge and began sharp shooting the Germans manning the 30+ machine guns.

SergeantAlvinCYork.gif

For his actions that day, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross(DSC), which was later upgraded to the Medal of Honor. He also received the Croix de Guerre and Legion of Honor from France as well as the Croce di Guerra from Italy and Montenegro awarded him the War Medal.

He was certainly a man of conviction, but alos a man of action with a trobled and rocky road to practicing a religion of Pacifiscm and never actually a Conscientious Objector in the government's eyes.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
And really...if you take the Lord's name in vain in the midst of a heated debate, that's not so great, but it happens. But you actually typed it out and hit submit. Religious FAIL.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My question is this, if I get PRK and go Navy, what are the chances I get a position like SAR or ambulance? What happens if i get put into a mission that requires killing?

AW doesn't typically do chances or percentages, period. There is no way to predict your chances or anyone eles's, but in this case, have zero probability to go into the Navy and be assigned to SAR or "ambulance" duties. In fact, you'd have a hard time getting into the Navy professing to be a CO because of a pretty big hurdle and that is your oath you take to enter the service:

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

The only optional part of that oath is the last sentence. You think you can take that oath while truly understanding what it entails??? I have served alongside several aviators who didn't quite understand what it meant and when bullets started flying, they turned in their wings.

I can respect someone who stands up for what they believe, but not someone who says 'I didn't sign up for this!" believing they could fly and never have to shoot or be shot at yet let down their country and, more importantly, their peers when they are needed as part of the team. Even worse is using their service to get what they want only when it suits them knowing full-well they will exit, stage left when the very essence of the serving in the military comes into play.

CAMike

None
Contributor
OK. That's it.

We're bring back A.O.C.S. with less than socially acceptable DI's to sort out the halves from the wholes.

Mark G., I respectfully recommend the above. The dollar is losing value anyway- budgets and fiscal planning be damned. It's as good a time as any for the return to the AOCS philosophy.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
^ I didn't understand that at all...

But I think this thread totally rocks.

Yankee Uniform Tango

P3 F0

None
So what is your point? If you're a CO go ahead and sign up? Seriously, is that the point of your post? FWIW is right. It's worth exactly nothing and only serves to muddy the waters here. I couldn't care less who was a CO and who wasn't and who earned what awards in whatever status; I only know that signing up and taking the oath as a CO is not right and disingenuous, period. Bottom line--If you're a CO, do not join the military. It's as simple as that.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
So what is your point? If you're a CO go ahead and sign up? Seriously, is that the point of your post? FWIW is right. It's worth exactly nothing and only serves to muddy the waters here. I couldn't care less who was a CO and who wasn't and who earned what awards in whatever status; I only know that signing up and taking the oath as a CO is not right and disingenuous, period. Bottom line--If you're a CO, do not join the military. It's as simple as that.

What he said. +1

We are a fighting force. The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.