• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conscientious objector pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Here's a few links to non military flying gigs you could get into:

Customs: http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/Channe...=134&FedEmp=N&FedPub=Y&caller=basic.aspx&ss=0

Forest Service: http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.a...ler=basic.aspx&ss=0&AVSDM=2009-07-13+22:21:00

A lot of these gigs require at least a CFI in helos or fixed wing. You'd be shelling out a lot of your own cash to get hours and the ratings necessary.

If you can't reconcile your beliefs with the purpose of the Armed Forces, it's probably best to try and find a job elsewhere.

Another thing, don't claim to be a religious man and then drop god damn in the same post. You look foolish. Good on you for having the balls to ask the question, bad on you for not having the thick skin to take our answers. A lot of the guys on this board have been there and done that and are giving you their honest opinion on how working with a conscientious objector would make them feel. You're getting good gouge right now...calm down and listen to it.

While good recommendations, Customs and Border Protection may not be a good recommendation for you either, since they are gun toting federal agents who, depending on what branch they are working at, are getting out of the aircraft every day to roll up undocumented aliens, violent felons and criminals. All Air Interdiction Agents are training to be tactical team leaders. They carry long guns and also train to shoot with precision from aerial platforms. Law Enforcement Aviation is not for the CO either, since you are considered a LE Agent first and then a pilot.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Conscientious_Objector_Claim_of_Appeal_for_Alvin_Cullum_York.gif

Interesting that you post this, because in his journal he says he didn't sign it:

http://www2.york.k12.tn.us/york_diary.htm

And my little old mother and Pastor Pile wanted to get me out. Pastor Pile put in a plea to the government that it was against the religion of our church to fight; and that he wanted to get me out on these grounds. And he sent his papers up the War Department, and then filled them out and sent them to me at the camp and asked me to sign them. They told me all I had to do was to sign them. And I refused to sign them, as I couldn't see it the way Pastor Pile did. My mother, too, put in a plea to get me out as her sole support. My father was dead and I was keeping my mother and brothers and sisters. And the papers were fixed up and sent to Camp Gordon and I was asked to sign them. But I didn't sign them. I knew I had plenty of brothers back there that could look after my mother, that I was not the sole support, and I didn't feel I ought to do it. And so I never asked for exemption from service on any grounds at all. I never was a conscientious objector. I am not today. I didn't want to go and fight and kill. But I had to answer the call of my country, and I did. And I believed it was right. I have got no hatred toward the Germans and I never had.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
So, If I wanted to be a SWO, but I had a little issue with CO, could I apply to hang out with those Whale War douches on the Steve Irwin?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting that you post this, because in his journal he says he didn't sign it:

http://www2.york.k12.tn.us/york_diary.htm

[/FONT]

Yep, bit of a controversy there, but it seems the Appeal paperwork is different from the papers he received granting the status. Byt hen, he didn't want it so he claimed later his family arranged it all. His signature seems to state otherwise, doesn't it?

Longhorny

Thanks for the help. I already had NOAA officer route in my back pocket in the event the Navy didn't work it (which it seems so clearly it won't). They do fly P-3's and will train NOAA officers who have served 3 years but I don't know the likelihood of this occuring. Hurricanes are extremely fascinating to me (when they aren't tearing shit up) so maybe that's worth looking into.

As for all the blowback from the GD post...nobodys perfect.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
So, hurricanes are fascinating to you, until they start 'tearing shit up,' and then they're boring?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I already had NOAA officer route in my back pocket in the event the Navy didn't work it (which it seems so clearly it won't). They do fly P-3's and will train NOAA officers who have served 3 years but I don't know the likelihood of this occuring.

I think your research has been a little shallow on this one. NOAA isn't a less-military version of the Navy. It's a scientific maritime uniformed service, and their officers are expected to have a suitable background. First (and to repeat), they're looking for officers with an academic background in earth sciences or otherwise related to NOAA's mission. If not that, then some sort of professional maritime background (military or merchant mariner). Not to say they won't ever take someone who doesn't meet those criteria, but since you have neither, how do you figure you'll stack up against those who do?

They will send officers with 3 years' experience to flight training, but very seldom for P-3's. Most of their pilots, FE's and Nav's are cross-commissioned straight from the Navy P-3 community. You're more likely to wind up flying the Snow Survey in the Dakotas. Honorable work and all, but doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

If you truly consider yourself a conscientious objector, uniformed service is not for you.

Longhorny

I'd be happy to fly snow surveys, as long as it's flying. I have an academic background, and while aerospace engineering isn't exactly an earth science, it contains plenty of calculus, physics, and the fundamentals of what drives earth science (thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, chemistry, etc). If I apply and they reject me big deal, NOAA rejected me, its not the end of the world.

Some people find nature to be pretty fascinating stuff. Hurricanes, tornadoes, lightning, etc are all very cool things, but once they start destroying peoples lives it ceases to be fascinating and just become dangerous.

I don't find swearing to be all that bad depending on what's said and the company that its in. As this is a group of people in the armed forces, I would expect swearing to be pretty commonplace. If I offend you by my language, I apologize.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I for one resent the stereotype that members of the armed forces curse.

I mean...we do...but you don't gotta put it like that...

BTW, I wouldn't look for a job flying with the Steve Irwin, the last episode I saw the fat captain-guy tried to shoot parachute flares at the Japanese boats (Not sure why...) and he almost hit their own helicopter.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Almost all of us 'swear' by civilian standards. However, I wouldn't exactly call it swearing in a cultural sense. What is vulgar in civy world is the accepted form of communication in mil world- therefore you can't really consider it swearing.

That's how I justify it, anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.