• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conscientious objector pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longhorny

So, my lifelong dream has been to fly but, I am a conscientious objector (lame, i know). I would be the happiest guy in the world to be able to fly search and rescue missions or ambulatory missions all day long in any branch of service. I always figured the best route for me would be to go Blue 21 in the coast guard since there's a good chance I'd be doing non-lethal missions there but, my eyesight requires surgery to fly and the CG will not accept me. My question is this, if I get PRK and go Navy, what are the chances I get a position like SAR or ambulance? What happens if i get put into a mission that requires killing?

if it helps, my ASTB scores were 65 8/8/8, I have a 2.8/4.0 in Aerospace Engr from UT-Austin with LOR from former bosses and professors. Thanks for your help

navy09

None
Don't join the military if you don't want to go to war. Common sense dude.

I'd be shocked if USCG would take you as a conscientious objector. They do their fair share of running down bad guys.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Try the police department or an outfit that puts out forest fires. The military/coast guard isn't for you.

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
If you object so strongly to the use of violence under any circumstances, it doesn't sound like the armed forces are for you. If you're interested in SAR, why not check out Civil Air Patrol? CAP is responsible for something like 90% of inland SAR in the U.S., and there is no chance that anyone is going to ask you to violate your beliefs regarding violence for our type of flying.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The military isn't here to make your dreams come true. It's called "service" for a reason. If you don't believe in the purpose of our military as a whole or the kinds of missions we are doing, then don't join up. You can't believe the military is wrong in what we do, but want to fly and so you think you can join in a non-combat flying role. If you're such a conscientious objector, then take a friggin stand and stay out of the military.

P3 F0

None
This is all to say that 1) There is no position as a flyer (or, for that matter, any other job in any other community) in which you could never be asked, at some point, to do a job where it may be necessary to kill people. 2) There is no dedicated SAR job. 3) You'll be taking a coveted slot of someone that's willing to do everything asked of him. This is a lose-lose: you'd be screwing yourself, since you'd be miserable because no one around you would respect you, and many of your peers would most likely actively resent you (I know I would, anyway), and you'd be screwing the service.

ETA: Can I ask why you're a conscientious objector?

Rass

Longhorny,

Details about the coast guard i have no clue, but regarding the Navy, the only guarantee you will get is knowing what you are being picked up for (student naval aviator) after that you still have to pass ocs, ifs, api, primary, and other gambits of training. Once you sign your papers it is up to you to do better than your fellow classmates to ensure that you can be top of the class and pick what you want. Even then you just get to pick your airframe, not exactly what you will be doing.... so i guess it may behoove you to look elsewhere.

Hope this helps

slug

This is all to say that 1) There is no position as a flyer (or, for that matter, any other job in any other community) in which you could never be asked, at some point, to do a job where it may be necessary to kill people. 2) There is no dedicated SAR job. 3) You'll be taking a coveted slot of someone that's willing to do everything asked of him. This is a lose-lose: you'd be screwing yourself, since you'd be miserable because no one around you would respect you, and many of your peers would most likely actively resent you (I know I would, anyway), and you'd be screwing the service.

ETA: Can I ask why you're a conscientious objector?

Just to remind you chest-beating knuckle draggers that a guy named Alvin York was a con. objector--you might have heard of him. As for flying in non-attack roles, air force may be your best bet (helos or lift). Although you do have to be high in your class to get what you want (attack slots were always filled with the bottom feeders at Rucker).

The CG route--Blue 21, waiver for PRK, with your GPA and no flight experience is probably a bridge too far. I suggest going into another service, get 500 hours and apply to be a DCA.

You won't be shooting anyone as a CG aviator.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Just to remind you chest-beating knuckle draggers that a guy named Alvin York was a con. objector--you might have heard of him.

Key word. Was and that certainly changed didn't it?

I'm sure your in-depth knowledge of the future and past yields this valuable insight. Got the next lotto numbers?

After looking at your profile I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground and that this young man has already received good advice. Don't go into the military. Look to law enforcement or civilian helo SAR/forest service side for what you seek.

If you answer honestly you won't be accepted into the service as a CO.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Hmmm...so you get to enjoy all the benefits of the violence done on your behalf without having to risk anything yourself, AND you get to try and take the moral high ground...

York applied for CO status, but was not approved and later disclaimed it IOT stay in the Army. He killed quite a few Germans and wounded many more before taking all those prisoners.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Just to remind you chest-beating knuckle draggers that a guy named Alvin York was a con. objector--you might have heard of him. As for flying in non-attack roles, air force may be your best bet (helos or lift). Although you do have to be high in your class to get what you want (attack slots were always filled with the bottom feeders at Rucker).

The CG route--Blue 21, waiver for PRK, with your GPA and no flight experience is probably a bridge too far. I suggest going into another service, get 500 hours and apply to be a DCA.

Many Coast Guard helicopters are armed (with the numbers ever-increasing) as we increase our Homeland Security role.

Listen LongHorny: Good for you for your beliefs, but none of the 5 branches of the military will accept you for service as a conscientious objector. There are many who are working their collective tails off to get into the military, so why should any branch give you a chance when you will not be available for any assignment that comes up?

I'm sure you can find something you enjoy that is in keeping with your beliefs. Good luck.

OttoWrote8 said:
The military isn't here to make your dreams come true. It's called "service" for a reason. If you don't believe in the purpose of our military as a whole or the kinds of missions we are doing, then don't join up. You can't believe the military is wrong in what we do, but want to fly and so you think you can join in a non-combat flying role. If you're such a conscientious objector, then take a friggin stand and stay out of the military.
Lighten up, Francis.

Edit: My fervent hope is that we will not see another 3 pages of college students/SNAs/1st tours CPs berating this guy for asking advice. I'm sure it makes you feel good to pile on, but you add nothing to the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.