• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conscientious objector pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Just to remind you chest-beating knuckle draggers that a guy named Alvin York was a con. objector--you might have heard of him. As for flying in non-attack roles, air force may be your best bet (helos or lift). Although you do have to be high in your class to get what you want (attack slots were always filled with the bottom feeders at Rucker).

The CG route--Blue 21, waiver for PRK, with your GPA and no flight experience is probably a bridge too far. I suggest going into another service, get 500 hours and apply to be a DCA.

You won't be shooting anyone as a CG aviator.

Look up the MH-68A.
Airshow_167.jpg

P3 F0

None
Just to remind you chest-beating knuckle draggers that a guy named Alvin York was a con. objector--you might have heard of him. As for flying in non-attack roles, air force may be your best bet (helos or lift).
And just who the fuck are you, anyway? Either fill out your bio a bit more, or shut the fuck up.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So, my lifelong dream has been to fly but, I am a conscientious objector (lame, i know)

If you are one, then why would you say this? Either you are or you aren't.....

As for the service, at least with gold wings, your primary job (outside of flight school) is not flying. Beyond that, you will serve tours of duty that take you possibly out of the cockpit, and into various other duties.....joint planning, IA's, etc. Many of these jobs would involve you in the business of war, even if your primary aircraft/platform did not engage in direct combat. The military is no place for a conscientous objector to be. I don't personally take issue with your beliefs, but at least do the rest of us a favor and don't ask us to depend on you if you aren't willing to do what is asked of you.

Longhorny

Hmmm...so you get to enjoy all the benefits of the violence done on your behalf without having to risk anything yourself, AND you get to try and take the moral high ground...

I never said anything about not being willing to go into combat. I have no issue with being shot at it to save someone else. I am a religious man and dying to save somebody else is just about the best thing I could ask for.

Don't berate me for at least trying to help this country in whatever way I can while there's people that have been giving a hell of a lot more than I have and have never once even thought about giving back. All I did was ask a god damn question and all I wanted was some answers, not for someone to bite my head off.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I never said anything about not being willing to go into combat. I have no issue with being shot at it to save someone else. I am a religious man and dying to save somebody else is just about the best thing I could ask for.

Don't berate me for at least trying to help this country in whatever way I can while there's people that have been giving a hell of a lot more than I have and have never once even thought about giving back. All I did was ask a god damn question and all I wanted was some answers, not for someone to bite my head off.

No one is biting your head off, despite your sense of entitlement. You want to get the Military to pay you to fly their aircraft, and yet you don't believe in a fundamental, necessary part of the Military? The Military isn't a flying club for you to enjoy life and build hours. That sounds like entitlement to me. THAT is why everyone has been telling you to look elsewhere. I'm sure there are plenty of other jobs out there which you could find flying without the violence.

And IIRC, the bible was pretty violent in some parts... ;)

-1st tour, know-nothing, Francis

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Look up the MH-68A.
Airshow_167.jpg

Those are actually gone, but the mission still exists. Your point (and others') still stands. I've flown w/ the CG onboard my aircraft. They've fired weapons at people. It's actually pretty regular event.

But I'm sure Slug knows all about that since, what...the other 95% of his post was wrong?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Here's a few links to non military flying gigs you could get into:

Customs: http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/Channe...=134&FedEmp=N&FedPub=Y&caller=basic.aspx&ss=0

Forest Service: http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.a...ler=basic.aspx&ss=0&AVSDM=2009-07-13+22:21:00

A lot of these gigs require at least a CFI in helos or fixed wing. You'd be shelling out a lot of your own cash to get hours and the ratings necessary.

If you can't reconcile your beliefs with the purpose of the Armed Forces, it's probably best to try and find a job elsewhere.

Another thing, don't claim to be a religious man and then drop god damn in the same post. You look foolish. Good on you for having the balls to ask the question, bad on you for not having the thick skin to take our answers. A lot of the guys on this board have been there and done that and are giving you their honest opinion on how working with a conscientious objector would make them feel. You're getting good gouge right now...calm down and listen to it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Edit: My fervent hope is that we will not see another 3 pages of college students/SNAs/1st tours CPs berating this guy for asking advice. I'm sure it makes you feel good to pile on, but you add nothing to the discussion.
If we go down this road, thread is done. 'nuff said. Continue.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

So if I were flying with you and we were shot at, there's no way we could return fire?

..... All I did was ask a god damn question and all I wanted was some answers, not for someone to bite my head off.

This doesn't sound like it's coming from a religious man.

m26

Contributor
if it helps, my ASTB scores were 65 8/8/8, I have a 2.8/4.0 in Aerospace Engr from UT-Austin with LOR from former bosses and professors. Thanks for your help

I don't understand how you managed to get all the way to the ASTB as a conscientious objector. :confused:

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I don't understand how you managed to get all the way to the ASTB as a conscientious objector. :confused:

That is exactly what I was thinking:confused: Does anyone else know you're a CO?

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
No one is biting your head off, despite your sense of entitlement. You want to get the Military to pay you to fly their aircraft, and yet you don't believe in a fundamental, necessary part of the Military? The Military isn't a flying club for you to enjoy life and build hours. That sounds like entitlement to me. THAT is why everyone has been telling you to look elsewhere. I'm sure there are plenty of other jobs out there which you could find flying without the violence.

And IIRC, the bible was pretty violent in some parts... ;)

-1st tour, know-nothing, Francis

From a peer, now: Chill, dude. Entitlement? Not sure how you gleaned that from your intimate, two post-based knowledge of this guy. He had a flying dream with the whole CO thing. So he asked a question, and now he's got his dose of truth. Sorry to the OP, but since you can't guarantee your track, you can't guarantee you won't be putting iron on target in any of the services.

Status
Not open for further replies.